GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

how much should i pay for labor for installation

Search this Thread

Old 2/7/05, 03:48 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
of sct,pulleys,removal of filter trap,cold air intake and dyno?... also tech guy says he hasn't found a good cai that hasn't caused the check engine light to come on? any advice?
Old 2/7/05, 03:50 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by elvism@February 7, 2005, 4:51 PM
of sct,pulleys,removal of filter trap,cold air intake and dyno?... also tech guy says he hasn't found a good cai that hasn't caused the check engine light to come on? any advice?
Does the tech guy mean no CAI has not made the light come on with or without a tune? As far as I have heard, CAI's will not work on this car without a tune.
Old 2/7/05, 03:54 PM
Cobra Member

every cai he has seen so far has caused the check engine light to come on. and yes i know about the tuning and so does he. he has a few 05 gt already. the tech gt has done mods on his own gt.
Old 2/7/05, 04:23 PM
Bullitt Member

i wouldnt pay i dime to install any of that.....do it yourself those installs are simple.....and unless its a dyno tune you dont need to pay for that either...youll either get a chip or a programmer either of which you can do yourself
Old 2/7/05, 05:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

The only one of them I had installed was my pulleys.
Old 2/7/05, 06:26 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No, you won't get a chip. The programmer is the ONLY way to program with the new processor. And a MUCH better way it is!
Old 2/7/05, 08:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Im not a car mechanic by far, and I have installed a CAI, in my car in under an hour. The SCT can be purchased with a tune already installed from some aftermarket dealers, so all you have to do is plug in the cable and follow the instructions. as for the Dyno. most likely you will be paying $100+ for the time.

unless you absolutely hate getting your hands a little dirty, or you can't figure out how to pop the hood I would recomend buying the parts and installing them yourself.

I payed 50 bucks to a shop to drill holes in my trunk and install my spoiler, only because there was no way I was going to try and drill holes with my little 6V Powerdrill. experience goes a long way when you are modding an item that needs drilling, cutting, or welding, otherwise the "bolt on" products only replace the existing item whish is much easier to do at home in your garage, or on the street (in my case)

good luck to ya!
Old 2/8/05, 07:42 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I would pay someone to do it either. (well I am not sure about the pulleys). But especially for the HC Trap. All you do is pull it out of the intake hose. Took less than 5 minutes and a pair of needle nose pliers.
Old 2/8/05, 08:39 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you are mechanically inclined at all (know how to use a screwdriver) then you can do most of that yourself. The hardest of what you mentioned would be the pulleys. Not sure about your area of the woods but around here several rent pullers for a few bucks. It wouldn't take long for you to do it. Basically the only thing you should be paying for is the DYNO.
Old 2/8/05, 01:39 PM
GT Member

lol, pay someone to do that?
Old 2/8/05, 08:31 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by elvism@February 7, 2005, 4:51 PM
i know u guys say do most of it myself. im not a handy man when it comes to messing with cars and i be afraid i screw it up somehow and wont start up. anyway the tech tells me today for sct,pulleys,cai and dynos will cost about $1400. parts are about $835. tells me labor $90 hr . says will take about 2 hours. the long part is the dyno testing which may have to run 5-10 times which may cost $475. is this fair price?
Old 2/9/05, 11:32 AM
GT Member

dang..... thats alot of money for a few simple mods. I'm sorry but I can't see how you can justify paying that much money an miss out on something that could be a wonderful learning experience and is ALOT OF FRIGGIN FUN!!!!!!!! Dude.... it's really not that hard to work on stuff like that! Don't be so passive and say you are not a "handy man". You will NOT mess anything up. Just spend a saturday working on the cold air intake. It literally takes about 30 mins for the intake. This is like pouring milk in a cereal bowl... It's very easy to do. Once you install the intake, you will see how easy it is to do this and maybe you will feel comfortable enough to do the pulleys. This is really fun stuff once you start doing it. Why do you think we all work on our own cars on here? It's part of the joy of owning a cool car.
Old 2/9/05, 12:34 PM
FR500 Member

I had previously done nothing to a car other than changing the oil before getting my '05. I have done everything on my car so far... even the pulleys. It's a good bit of work to do some of the things... the vinyl stripes took me two 6 hour days. But, trust me... it's well worth it. It's a learning experience, as well as a bonding experience with you and your baby. Not to mention you will save a ton of money. If I had to estimate the money I've saved on installation of my axleback, pulleys, intake, stripes and the computer... as well as wiring my "Crazy Horse" horn (that sound like a screaming stallion when you press a little button) and my wireless remote radar detector... I'd say it was close to a grand I've saved in installation. Obviously, you have to pay for a dyno. That should run you anywhere from $75 to $100 for a couple dyno runs.

Edit: As far as this shop that wants to charge $475 for 5-10 dyno runs... do NOT go to them. That is robbery. Find another shop, even if you have to drive a couple hundred miles to get there. A dyno shop around me quoted me $85 for a couple dyno runs. You shouldn't pay more than a hundred for a couple. Now, if you are having them tune your car, they will have to put it on the dyno a number of times (10 is too many IMO). But, shops will usually give you the dyno time for free if you buy the computer flasher from them and pay them like a hundred bucks (or less) to tune the car in the shop. So, you shouldn't pay more than $500 for the computer with tuning and dyno time.