GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

How High To Go With Jack Stands?

Search this Thread

Old 5/26/07, 01:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How High To Go With Jack Stands?

I must be getting too old, but I discovered to day that I'm not TacoBill. Going under my GT/CS to install my MGW shifter, I found that I could not comfortably remove the 13mm bolt. Using jack stands, the tires were about five inches off the ground. Heck, I couldn't even get a position on it. I just felt like there was not enough room to manuever my 6'2 frame with rather large hands into position. Just how high do you folks raise your car with jack stands?

The sad part about all this is TacoBill's instructions makes this mod so darn easy to do, and MGW has come up with a great product. I'm not too happy about turning this install over to th e local dealer, nor to someone that just may not care about my car as much as I do.

There are no local shops offering do-it-yourself lifts. I'm wondering if I might have better luck taking the project to a local independent, and asking him if I can watch, or help with the install. Has anyone else had this problem?

As always, appreciate your comments,

Semper Fi!
Old 5/26/07, 01:36 PM
Cobra Member

Joe That’s what I'm worried about as I'm also 6'2. I'll be interested in the feedback you get on this.

phil
Old 5/26/07, 01:47 PM
Bullitt Member

I had plenty of room and did not have it jacked that high. I am 5'8 with a good beer belly. My toughest part was breaking that **** nut loose. But have had no problems working under the car for my hurst nor the h-pipe install.
Old 5/26/07, 04:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just did this install last weekend and being 6'2" 280lbs, I know exactly what you are talking about. The way I did it was jack the car up and put the jack stands under the "frame" rails back and in from the front tires rather than use the cross member up front like TacoBill's picture. This allowed the car to get higher up so I could go in from the side to access the shifter. Be careful of the driver side as there is a plastic panel right next to it - make sure the stand does not rest on the plastic part. Once you get enough room to work, it really isn't that bad. I also left the jack in place up front and had ramps under the front tires as an extra safety precaution. I just rotated one of the ramps so I could get under the vehicle from the side. One note, in my tranny/driveshaft tunnel there were all kinds of mini metal fangs in the sheetmetal. My forearms and hands are still healing from all the cuts. If you have gloves, use 'em. You're gonna love the shifter once you get it installed and dialed in to your preference.

Rob
Old 5/26/07, 05:29 PM
NJ3
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For extra clearance I backed my cay up onto ramps then jacked up the front. This way will give you plenty of room to work.
Attached Thumbnails How High To Go With Jack Stands?-mgw3.jpg   How High To Go With Jack Stands?-mgw2.jpg  
Old 5/26/07, 06:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Right on...... pull the car onto ramps, then jack the rear up and support with stands. You tall guys don't have much more to complain about than all of us at 5"10" / 200 lbs unless your reach is like the dude's reach from Fantastic Four.
Old 5/26/07, 07:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tom281
Right on...... pull the car onto ramps, then jack the rear up and support with stands. You tall guys don't have much more to complain about than all of us at 5"10" / 200 lbs unless your reach is like the dude's reach from Fantastic Four.
I had mine up on jack stands for the ARH LT's install,which is complete and only took a total of 4 hrs. The jack stands we used were very tall.jacked the car up with large floor jack,then put the jack stands under the car.