GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

How to Change the sparkplugs itself ?

Search this Thread

Old 9/4/12, 12:20 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to Change the sparkplugs itself ?

Time to do my oil change and replace the sparkplugs on my 06 gt mustang.
At the garage, they asked me $420 to change the sparkplugs !!! WOW !
So my question is what do I need to change the sparkplugs by myself ? because I know that it is hard to change them and kinda touchy.
As well, what kind of sparkplugs do you recommend ? irridium, ford racing ... ?

thank to all of you for the help to save a bunch of money.
Old 9/4/12, 02:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sebvegas
Time to do my oil change and replace the sparkplugs on my 06 gt mustang.
At the garage, they asked me $420 to change the sparkplugs !!! WOW !
So my question is what do I need to change the sparkplugs by myself ? because I know that it is hard to change them and kinda touchy.
As well, what kind of sparkplugs do you recommend ? irridium, ford racing ... ?

thank to all of you for the help to save a bunch of money.
There's threads on here with the info but the more miles you have on it the tougher it will be. I broke 1 plug when I did mine at 70k, some have broken half or more, others have managed to keep them all intact.

This thread has the TSB for how to remove the plugs: https://themustangsource.com/f669/spark-plugs-510566/

I went with OEM replacement plugs SP-514, which are a different model number and supposedly fixed, but people have varying opinions http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-s...gs-0507gt.html

You'll need pb blaster, an appropriate sized spark plug socket, torque wrenches, and the Lisle plug removal tool. Oh and a lot of patience. Make sure there are no children around to hear the four letter words you will likely be spewing.

Last edited by Agent MOO; 9/4/12 at 02:13 PM.
Old 9/4/12, 03:56 PM
V6 Member

Wow dude, you rock ! Thank you so much for that
I will try to do that by myself because $450 to change them at the garage ... I'm sure I can buy all the tools and do it myself for half the price ...

Again thank you so much
Old 9/4/12, 04:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 777 Likes on 567 Posts
I say screw those motorcrap plugs I'll never buy those plugs again and they should be baned from the market place. www.sparkplugs.com has some one piece champion plugs delivered for right around 117 bucks. well worth the extra few bucks over giving ford cash for those crappy plugs. I think if you let the plugs soak over night with the motorcraft carb cleaner. You should be alright. I have the remover tool ifin you want to buy it from me for like half price.
Old 9/4/12, 04:59 PM
V6 Member

Yeah, I would like to buy this tool from you. Let me you know your price shipped.
For the motorcraft carb cleaner, where can I buy it ?
Old 9/5/12, 12:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Would Bosch iridium plugs be a good choice for a supercharged engine??
Old 9/5/12, 06:03 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Corstang427
Would Bosch iridium plugs be a good choice for a supercharged engine??
With an S/C you want a colder heat range plug than stock , and if you have an early year model with the two piece plugs I don't think Bosch makes one.
Old 9/5/12, 07:59 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Yeah, I would like to buy this tool from you. Let me you know your price shipped.
For the motorcraft carb cleaner, where can I buy it ?
you can get the cleaner from the ford dealership. As far as price I'll get back to you soon. What is your zip code? Are you in las vegas?
Old 9/5/12, 09:17 AM
V6 Member

Glenn : PM.

Is it good if I buy irridium ngk plugs for a stock engine ?
Old 9/5/12, 09:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 05YellowGT

With an S/C you want a colder heat range plug than stock , and if you have an early year model with the two piece plugs I don't think Bosch makes one.
Does Bosch make a colder plug?? I'm just curious bc I can get a good deal on Bosch plugs
Old 9/5/12, 10:23 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Glenn : PM.

Is it good if I buy irridium ngk plugs for a stock engine ?
I believe they are good plugs but they are still the 2 piece design. I got my champions delivered to the door for 117.00 autozone had them for 174 bucks talk about a rip off.
Old 9/5/12, 11:28 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Does Bosch make a colder plug?? I'm just curious bc I can get a good deal on Bosch plugs
I'm not sure what year your car is ? If it's from before the head change which I believe was sometime in 08 , then it has the two piece plug design and I don't believe Bosch makes one in a colder heat range. The only ones I know of are FRPP HT0 , Autolite HT0 and the Brisk Silver Racing. The Brisk plug is a one piece design , it's the only one I know of in the colder heat range that is.
Old 9/5/12, 01:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 05YellowGT

I'm not sure what year your car is ? If it's from before the head change which I believe was sometime in 08 , then it has the two piece plug design and I don't believe Bosch makes one in a colder heat range. The only ones I know of are FRPP HT0 , Autolite HT0 and the Brisk Silver Racing. The Brisk plug is a one piece design , it's the only one I know of in the colder heat range that is.
It's a 2006 GT. When I installed my supercharger I reused the factory plugs and I've always wanted to change them out. Car only had 5k on the odometer
Old 9/5/12, 08:53 PM
V6 Member

I just did my plugs when I did my supercharger. I've heard a lot of horror stories about broken plugs, so I bought the Lisle broken plug remover tool. I didn't break one though.

This is what I did to get mine out and it's worked for a couple of other people. First go get you some PB Blaster from a parts store. While the block is warm, not hot, Spray it generously down onto the plugs and let it sit for fifteen or twenty minutes. Then get on it with your wrench and apply SLOOOOOOW torque. Even after they break loose, go very slow because they still can break. DID I MENTION TO GO SLOW?

Follow this procedure and you'll have a good chance to come away with none broken. If you want, I'm on S197forum and I rent the tool out to folks that want to have insurance so you won't have to buy the tool.

Good luck!
Old 9/5/12, 11:58 PM
V6 Member

Thanks taxman, I found a garage who is specialized into mustangs, and they will do the sparkplugs change for $180.
Old 9/6/12, 05:40 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

It's a 2006 GT. When I installed my supercharger I reused the factory plugs and I've always wanted to change them out. Car only had 5k on the odometer
If it's an 06 then you have the crappy two piece design and the only colder range plugs are the ones I mentioned. I ran the Brisk one piece for a while , but since they're silver they don't last very long. I pulled them at about 18k , which is about as long as I let my plugs go with the S/C , and the electrodes were almost gone. So I went back to the two piece plugs since I change them at about 18K and I've never had any problem pulling them. The key with the two piece plugs is to change them often , or you can pull them and gap them then reuse them , but if I'm going to spend the time pulling them I'd rather replace them.
Old 9/14/12, 01:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Taxman72
I just did my plugs when I did my supercharger. I've heard a lot of horror stories about broken plugs, so I bought the Lisle broken plug remover tool. I didn't break one though.

This is what I did to get mine out and it's worked for a couple of other people. First go get you some PB Blaster from a parts store. While the block is warm, not hot, Spray it generously down onto the plugs and let it sit for fifteen or twenty minutes. Then get on it with your wrench and apply SLOOOOOOW torque. Even after they break loose, go very slow because they still can break. DID I MENTION TO GO SLOW?

Follow this procedure and you'll have a good chance to come away with none broken. If you want, I'm on S197forum and I rent the tool out to folks that want to have insurance so you won't have to buy the tool.

Good luck!
how many miles did you have when you changed your plugs?