GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Hooker vs FRPP ?

Search this Thread

Old 9/25/05 | 11:27 AM
Bullitt Member

My next mod will be to change out the stock mufflers. I'm undicided between the Hooker and the FRPP (GTs/Borla's). I/v seen lots of threads on the FRPP but not much from anyone who has installed the Hookers. I'v seen the vids and sound clips. Just looking for someone who has installed and some pics. Also tip size info would be appreciated.
Old 9/25/05 | 11:41 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Originally posted by SRQ05GT@September 25, 2005, 11:30 AM
I'm undicided between the Hooker and the FRPP (GTs/Borla's).
Well if you think about it a hooker is only one night of fun but the exhaust will last forever!

I would get the exhuast and you won't have to worry about STDs
Old 9/25/05 | 12:18 PM
Team Mustang Source

The tips on the AeroChamber are polished stainless steel I believe, and are 3.5" in diameter. Here are the pics - I just put these on yesterday:

And a clip I just made. They're not as loud as you might think for a hybrid straight-through/chambered muffler (you can see straight through them, but there are baffles/chambers in there). But what the clip doesn't tell is the enormous amount of bass that's there now - massive bass and a nice deep rumble at idle. Not the greatest clip in the world, I only have a 16Meg card for now, sorry They remind me of the 05 Flowmaster kit.
http://www.boomspeed.com/dpjedi/hooker_aerochamber.mpg
Old 9/25/05 | 12:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks MTAS. Just what i was looking for. Did you get the Hookers in the Tampa bay area??? or online?

PS. How was the install???
Old 9/25/05 | 01:00 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by SRQ05GT@September 25, 2005, 2:49 PM
Thanks MTAS. Just what i was looking for. Did you get the Hookers in the Tampa bay area??? or online?

PS. How was the install???
Got 'em from Jegs on-line for firhgt at $450 shipped. The install took me and a buddy 2hrs. Considering how long Hooker has been making exhaust products, and the cost of this set, I should not have had some of the issues I had to deal with.
1. When the mufflers were laid side-by-side on a flat garage floor, it was readily apparent that one of the tips was lower than the other by at least 1/4". Separate them by mounting them on the car and the difference isn't noticable, although to compensate for this, one of the mufflers is tilted slightly and is only noticeable from the rear. A can of flat black hi-temp paint for the mufflers will remedy this.
2. The notch in the pipe that accepts the little titty thing on the OEM flow tube was cut perfectly square, where as on the stock mufflers the notch had 2 45* angles cut at the ingress of the notch to facilitate the install. I had to break out the hacksaw.
3. The directions need to stress the importance of loosening the h-pipe bolts at the mid-pipe connection, and there is no mention of it. If you don't do this, you will go mad trying to get the tips aligned in the openings.
4. The nuts & bolts that came with the set are apparently crap. So I didn't even want to deal with that frustration and went to Lowes and got the grade 8 nuts & bolts and pitched the others. No problems at all when it came to rightening everything up and keeping it that way.

So all in all, I'm happy with the looks and performance of the Hookers, but when you take into account the company's history, and price of this set, they should be absolutely perfect out of the box, period.
Would I recommend them to a friend - yes, without a doubt.
Old 9/25/05 | 01:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for all the help. I'm leaning toward the Hookers. I have heard other install problems, but i like the fact that the tips are cut not rolled. Dont have access to a lift so this install is going to be a bear.... I agree Hooker (Holly) should be making better fit stuff as long as they have been in the performance business. Thanks again. Go Bucs...
Old 9/25/05 | 10:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Here's my set-up. Everything that MTAS mentioned above - I Concur.

Tom
Old 9/26/05 | 09:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

Everything MTAS said is 100% true. Mine didnt even have the hooker logo on one of them. And I could not get the driver side muffler aligned to suit me (the slot was cut in the wrong spot), so I ended up sending them back to Jegs.

I liked the sound of the Hooker but the quality was not there. I ended up buying a set of MAC's and I'm happy with them.
Old 9/26/05 | 12:28 PM
FR500 Member

Those have got to be the worst welds I've ever seen
Old 10/13/05 | 06:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Just to finish this thread. Bought the Hookers yesterday, install this weekend....
Old 10/13/05 | 07:28 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by SRQ05GT@October 13, 2005, 8:30 PM
Just to finish this thread. Bought the Hookers yesterday, install this weekend....
Cool man! I've noticed that they're quieter on the interstate than the stock mufflers, if I haven't already mentioned that. Let us know what you think of the install process and sound once you get them on.
Old 10/15/05 | 08:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Just installed. Not as bad as i thought. I started with the car jacked up but lowered it. I found that i could get under and use my body to hold the Hookers inplace while i reattached the hangers. Just removed the hangers from the car, put the hangers on the new Hooker and remounted. I noticed that one of the pipes is a little out of position, but the original Fords were also, so i just need to addust them in the am. Thanks for all of the help. And i started it and Wow is the tone deeper. Cant wait to get it out on the road.... All in all a one person job about 1.5 hours.
Old 10/15/05 | 11:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by SRQ05GT@October 15, 2005, 10:40 PM
Just installed. Not as bad as i thought. I started with the car jacked up but lowered it. I found that i could get under and use my body to hold the Hookers inplace while i reattached the hangers. Just removed the hangers from the car, put the hangers on the new Hooker and remounted. I noticed that one of the pipes is a little out of position, but the original Fords were also, so i just need to addust them in the am. Thanks for all of the help. And i started it and Wow is the tone deeper. Cant wait to get it out on the road.... All in all a one person job about 1.5 hours.
Congrats! Told ya it was deep It's the bass that will set of car alarms in parking garages, not the sheer volume Going to the MOSI show in Tampa on the 29th?
Old 10/16/05 | 06:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by MTAS@October 16, 2005, 1:20 AM
Congrats! Told ya it was deep It's the bass that will set of car alarms in parking garages, not the sheer volume Going to the MOSI show in Tampa on the 29th?
Mustang show??
Old 10/16/05 | 06:56 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by SRQ05GT@October 16, 2005, 8:03 AM
Mustang show??
I've never been to this show but do hear good things about it.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?ac...e=post&id=33837
Old 10/16/05 | 11:34 AM
Bullitt Member

I may go. Are you entering or going as a spectator???
Old 10/16/05 | 02:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Noticed that the passengers side was hanging about 1/4 inch lower than the drivers side. Tried adjusting by loosening the bolt at the joint but no luck. So plan "B" Placed floor jack under the rear Hanger (not the mufflier!!!) and put a 10" piece of 2x4 from the floor jack to the hanger. Slowly jacked it up. Bent the rear hanger just enough to raise the tip the 1/4 inch to match the drivers side. Not my normal mechanical methiod, but. Darn these pipes are Sweet. You can't believe how low the tone is...

Old 10/16/05 | 05:10 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by SRQ05GT@October 16, 2005, 1:37 PM
I may go. Are you entering or going as a spectator???
Yep, I'll be showing my car. I'm not pre-registered, but will definitely register once I get parked. Hope to see you there!
Old 10/16/05 | 09:57 PM
V6 Member

Hey, earlier you said you've seen plenty of information on the FRPP axleback. I can't seem to find much info on them such as pictures of them etc and i was really hoping you could help point me in the right direction. I tried to run a search for it but still it didn't seem to net me much info. Anything you know or have on them would be much appreciated man.
Old 10/17/05 | 05:10 AM
Bullitt Member

I think sixtysix (see above on this thread) did a thread with pics on the FRPP/Borla's. Type in Borla or FRPP to the searh "enter keyword" and you should find lots of info. FYI there are two types being offered from FRPP one ends in GT (this is the one you want if you want if you are looking for loud). The other ends in GTQ. These are "Q" quieter. If your in CA one pair may not be legal????