GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Hood vibrates on the highway

Search this Thread

Old 1/5/08, 08:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hood vibrates on the highway

Hey All,
I have an '06 GT with a hood that vibrates when I get on the highway.
It is happening on the drivers side close to where the door hinges are.When I go at highway speed...or more I can see the hood vibrating only at that area. The nose is not moving at all.It is almost like air is getting underneath the hood in that area. One thing though at the front of the hood where it locks in there is a little bit of play when i push down on the hood.Any thoghts or fixes let me know.

Thanx,
Jack
Old 1/5/08, 08:48 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by mustang jack
Hey All,
It is happening on the drivers side close to where the door hinges are.When I go at highway speed...or more I can see the hood vibrating only at that area. The nose is not moving at all.It is almost like air is getting underneath the hood in that area. One thing though at the front of the hood where it locks in there is a little bit of play when i push down on the hood.Any thoghts or fixes let me know.

Thanx,
Jack

very common, my 05 does it as well.
Old 1/5/08, 10:48 AM

Hood Pins...Think Hood Pins...Besides, they look SWEET! I just got them installed on my '05 GT.

112 more days... Hibernation over!
Old 1/5/08, 11:53 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mustang jack
Hey All,

Thanx,
Jack
Try adjusting the hood rests, this can help some! my 06 hood really starts dancing at about 110 MPH especially after installing my CDC Billet Grille...
Attached Thumbnails Hood vibrates on the highway-cid__11-28-07_0744.jpg  
Old 1/5/08, 05:13 PM
V6 Member

My 07 does the same thing !!!!!!!!!!
Old 1/5/08, 08:05 PM
Bullitt Member

does it do it no matter what, while driving back from houston on the 26th of Dec I noticed mine doing the same thing but there was an 18 wheeler in front of me, when I moved in the other lane the hood settled downa nd no longer vibrated. I just chalked it up to dirty air coming off the rig.
Old 1/5/08, 11:55 PM

Thats an average day for me...take the highway to and from work...Flutters up and down only on the drivers side...kinda sacres you when you really watch it for a while! I will be looking into hood pins down the road
Old 1/6/08, 12:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

As someone stated, you can compensate for this with the bump stops. I adjust mine about 1 time a month. The hood should close tight against the stops, but not be hindered from latching due to the stops. It takes some playing, but once you have it set, it's good past where the speedo ends. I did a track day and it didn't flutter a bit. Lost the speed and had my foot in it for a bit after that (figure about 150mph). Check out my track day video and see for yourself. No hood pins, but they are cheap insurance and look cool.
Old 1/6/08, 02:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

The hood rest thing is a good idea, I'm going to have to do that to my car as well. The hood flutter was so distracting on my last highway drive that I actually pulled off at an exit to make sure the hood was closed. Scary to watch, I just try to ignore it.
Old 1/6/08, 05:17 PM
V6 Member

i have 06 gt..it doesn't do the vibrate thing on a normal day..speeds 65.. 85 90..but i i did notice it flutter a bit on the driver's side a week ago..it was a windy ,blustery day..i imagine it must be air pressure moving it .. i am putting the mrt hood lift on this week..i don't see how hood pins would solve that problem..tho i will add them 1 day
Old 1/6/08, 05:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

i was thinking about going the hood pin route as well but then i read some horror stories about dimples forming on the hood as a result of the pins. anyone else have this problem?

my hood flutters ALOT around 70+mph. sometimes i swear the hood is open and its going to flip up on me sometimes
Old 1/6/08, 09:26 PM
Team Mustang Source

Mine used to flutter a bunch at speeds of 80+, then I adjusted the rubber bump stops under the hood. I made it so it takes a drop of about 1.5 feet to close the hood fully. Before I could close the hood by dropping it about 5 inches.

Since I adjusted it, I have never seen the hood flutter 1 bit. Not even at 135+ for about 3 minutes on the interstate one tuesday morning at 3:30am.
Old 1/7/08, 02:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Which direction are you all adjusting them? Making them taller? Or taking them down?
Old 1/7/08, 02:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Which direction are you all adjusting them? Making them taller? Or taking them down?
Old 1/7/08, 02:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Old 1/7/08, 05:50 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by mweeps
Raising them!
Old 1/7/08, 08:53 PM

Mine flutters horribly between shifts when the blow off valve goes off. Its developed a stress crack on my cervinis hood.
Old 1/8/08, 11:03 AM
Big Falken Tires

Originally Posted by blkstang06
Try adjusting the hood rests, this can help some! my 06 hood really starts dancing at about 110 MPH especially after installing my CDC Billet Grille...
ditto - I love my CDC grill and it definitely helps keep the coolant temp a few degrees cooler on the highway

But that added airflow is noticeable

on a normal day, 80 is no prob and I won't get bad flutter till 90 or above.

On a really WINDY day, about 83/85 and I can notice it
Old 1/8/08, 12:28 PM
Team Mustang Source

Adjust the stops up a little. Just screw them counter-clockwise (I think) to raise them up. Try about 1 full turn each and make sure the hood still closes. I would keep going until it doesn't close any more, then back it off a little.
Old 1/9/08, 01:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

I can't believe Ford isn't adjusting these properly from the factory by now. It's a minor problem since they came out (I adjusted mine a couple of YEARS ago!)....and it's fine now, not much over 100 mph though.

Quick Reply: Hood vibrates on the highway