GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

hood scoop question performance wise

Search this Thread

Old 11/2/05, 08:19 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

:bang: Ok, I am putting a hood scoop on my car, a boss 429 hood scoop.
My question is should I cut out a hole in the hood so the hood scoop could get air into the engine compartment? If that can be done what else do I need to do for this... filter or screen? Need help folks..
Old 11/2/05, 09:38 AM
Bullitt Member

search for member: acadian

he did exactly what you're talking about
Old 11/4/05, 08:51 PM
Cobra Member

Generally the forward facing low profile hood scoops (a NACA duct inlet will work better) do not offer much of a performance advantage unless they stick up quite a bit. This is because of this thing called boundarly layer effect of the air flow as it passes over the hood (or any other panel). The air right at the surface has zero velocity, but as you move away you start to see some velocity ... so while the scoop looks pretty cool (I'm putting a Roush one on mine), its not that effective (not saying it does not get anything ... just not as much as you would like). Example of effective ones are like the pro stock drag cars where the scoop is about a foot above the hood and it is seeing real nice ram air effect. The other successful approach with a lower profile is the old Z-28 hood scoop that reached back to the windshield ... where there is plentiful high pressure air stacked up there ... no wonder that is where your fresh air inlet is. Of course the front of the car is a good place to tap into some high pressure air as well. If you desire the look go for it ... it you want some beter air charge ... get one of several cold air kits that are available