GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

High Flow Cats

Search this Thread

Old 2/13/07, 03:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by metroplex
The first thing the inspector is going to notice with an off-road pipe is the lack of cats (violation of federal emissions law/regulations). Regarding the rear O2 sensors, the inspectors should physically check for the presence on a system with cats.

Typical tunes disable the rear o2 sensors, so ideally the inspectors should then check to see, via the OBD-II system, if the rear O2 sensors are active and functioning to see if the operator of the vehicle is using a non-factory certified engine calibration and if the operator/owner is using MIL eliminators. They could then tie their electronic database system in with the dealership system to void the warranties based on findings of non-factory certified calibrations.
The emissions person has no concept of what a factory certified engine calibration is. A vehicles calibration is probably proprietary information. Furthermore, why would an emissions inspector be concerned with voiding your warranty?

How many times does it need to be said that Ford is the only party that can void your warranty. Ford would only void your warranty if you come to them for a repair and your mod can be proven to be cause of the failure.

In GA, new vehicles are exempt from emssions inspections for the first 3 years. So when its time for an emissions test, your warranty is pretty much gone already
Old 2/13/07, 04:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by neil07gt
The emissions person has no concept of what a factory certified engine calibration is. A vehicles calibration is probably proprietary information. Furthermore, why would an emissions inspector be concerned with voiding your warranty?

How many times does it need to be said that Ford is the only party that can void your warranty. Ford would only void your warranty if you come to them for a repair and your mod can be proven to be cause of the failure.

In GA, new vehicles are exempt from emssions inspections for the first 3 years. So when its time for an emissions test, your warranty is pretty much gone already
The Federal emissions warranty is 8 years. Even in NJ where the first emissions inspection is due 4 years after the purchase of a new vehicle, you would still have an additional 4 years to go on the Federal emissions warranty (that's 2 additional emissions inspections).

If the rear O2 sensors are disabled on a typical car, then there's a good chance the owner/operator is using a non-factory certified calibration. Only some vehicles have the rear O2's disabled at the factory and these are usually trucks/vans. The factory calibrations are designed to be street legal and comply with federal and state emissions regulations after thousands of hours (and dollar's) of extensive and expensive NVH, emissions, fuel consumption, and reliability testing.
Old 2/13/07, 06:25 PM

How hard is it to swap between the o/r and the stock h-pipe. I live in Pa, and drive under 6000 a year on the car. If all I need is cats to pass the visual inspection, is it really going to be a pain to do the swap yearly?
Old 2/13/07, 09:26 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,036 Likes on 1,647 Posts
Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Rocky,
I think you are missing my point. Here is Ohio they just stopped E-check in about 20 counties around the state last year after about 20 yrs. of testing. When I say you car will not pass an emissions test with your present CAI and tune I am talking the sniffer test... not visual to see you if your cats are in place. So my point being you can't pass that test than go all the way and take off the cats. Put them back on when you get checked. As far as the rear O2 sensors goes I know most are turned off because the air fuel ratio is different than stock and will confuse the computer. I am running Lidio's 93 octane tune and I know mine are turned off. Brent from Brentspeed also turns them off in his tunes. I also thought Doug turned them off also. That's why guys can run offroad H-pipes and get no CEL's. P.S. I do know what I am suggesting in against the law BTW.
Scott
Scott, I understood your point and the point I was attempting to get across was that during the past 5+ years ? I haven't been through any sniff or any other type of emission related testing/inspection in fact not even a visual test for emissions and the reason why is because under Pennsylvania law, being that I don't put more than 6000 miles per year on my vehicle ? I'm automatically exempted from emission inspection altogether..All that I'm still required to pass is my state's annual safety inspection, which has absolutely nothing to do with emission requirements as a matter of fact, all my Ford dealer does is simply slap on an emission exempt sticker on my windshield for $18.00 and that's it I'm done and just to be on the safe side, I already asked my local Ford technician if there would be any problems in installing an off road H-pipe ? in which he assured me that as long as I continue to qualify under the exemption status ? I don't have to un-install it when bringing my car in for the annual safety inspection so there you have it in a nutshell..As for the reason behind Lidio turning off you're 02 sensors ? he has to being that your running a Mac off road Pro chamber However if you were still running the factory cats ? there's no need to turn them off..As for the air/fuel ? I can't speak for Lidio but I do know that Doug has the air/fuel ratio set between 12.5 and 12.8 at WOT which is still considered as being somewhat on the rich side anyhow so again there's really no purpose behind turning the 02 sensors off unless your either running an off road pipe or long tube headers and besides a custom tune isn't required for just an off road H-pipe anyway in fact you can use a canned tune/programmer for that, hell all you need to do is just go into your end user adjustability options and just turn off the 02 sensors yourself..
Old 2/13/07, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by NicksLime06
How hard is it to swap between the o/r and the stock h-pipe. I live in Pa, and drive under 6000 a year on the car. If all I need is cats to pass the visual inspection, is it really going to be a pain to do the swap yearly?
There is no visual inspection under the PA emission exemption status, the only visual inspection that's still required ? is under the PA state safety inspection, which has nothing to do with cats nor anything that's related under the emission requirements..
Old 2/14/07, 06:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lowe!
Well, here is what just happened to me. I live in Austin Texas and I have a CAI and 93 Octane tune from Brenspeed. Stock exhaust, except the mufflers. I went to get my 05 GT inspected a minuet ago, and it FAILED emissions. The reason: The O2 sensors were "not ready", nor was the "Evap Monitor", "Catalyst Monitor", nor the "O2 Sensor Heater", WTF that is. I am assuming my rear O2 sensors were turned off. The inspector said if any one of those 4 Moniotrs was "ready" I'd pass.

I tried calling Brenspeed, but apearantly they are in a blizzard right now and Brent needs to be at home, rightfully so. They did call back quickly and he'll have to check the tune file tomorrow. Sometimes the sensors are turned off sometimes the aren't. Does anyone know if the rear O2 sensors are usually turned off with custom tunes?

. . .

Looks like I'm reinstalling the stock airbox and tune for a few hours....
When was your Brenspeed tune installed? Did you change it or reflash it recently? It can take several hours or several running/start cycles before all the proper readiness codes show up to the scanning computer. In other OBDII cars, 2 weeks of driving after a reflash was always recommended before an emission check. Just a thought.

Raises an interesting question about disabling the O2 sensors. If this indeed always results in a failed OBDII scan, MIL eliminators may be the way to go for anyone removing or altering the position of the stock cats.
Old 2/14/07, 06:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

The custom tune and CAI were put in 2-3 weeks ago. Last w/e the car went on a 300+ mile road trip, plus normal work week driving. I swapped out the CAI for the stock setup and tune last night. I'll take it back to the inspection place today for a "pre-test" to see if things are "ready". I'll keep y'all posted.
Old 2/14/07, 09:28 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll let you know how things stand in Albuquerque NM. I need to take my car in for the emissions testing within the next few weeks. My car has the JLT2 CAI and Doug's HP tune installed. There are NO ODBII codes and the rear sensors are installed and (as far as I know) working.

If it fails anything, I'll put the stock tune back on and try it again after a few start/stop cycles. At this altitude, Doug's tune is way rich at WOT, but it runs very well at part throttle in closed loop (as you would expect with a full closed loop control system fine tuning things!).

If it STILL fails, then I will have to remove the JLT2 and put the stock intake back on. All in all, I am REALLY hoping that everything passes with the JLT2 and Doug's tune. Given that they do NOT do any WOT sniffer testing, there really isn't any reason for it to fail unless the tune is way out of wack to begin with. And I really don't think that is the case simply from how it runs.
Old 2/14/07, 11:32 AM
Former Vendor

The rear o2 sensors are almost always turned off, in my tunes. The heater array switches in order to run a wideband, as well. I think the EVAP monitor can be turned back on with no problems?

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 2/14/07, 11:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

Everything is cool now!!
I went back today at lunch for a "practice emissions test". Instead of having the 4 not ready monitors, I only had one, the evap monitor, WTF that is. The inspector didn't want to waste his time since I told him I made the changes (I didn't tell him exactly what I did, I just said I "fixed it") last night. "You need to put 100 miles, and drive it around so more, yadda, yadda.." I figured the stock tune would be all it would take to get the O2 sensors back online.

Anyway, now I have my inspection sticker for another year. Tonight, reinstall the CAI and 93 octane tune! I'm glad it's has easy as it is. However, if I go w/ high flow cats, or other exhaust mods, I could be in trouble come emissions testing time, right? Swapping LT headers & mid-pipes & hi-flow cats aint' something I want to do anually!?!?!! What will I do....
Old 2/14/07, 11:48 AM
Former Vendor

Everything is cool now!!
I went back today at lunch for a "practice emissions test". Instead of having the 4 not ready monitors, I only had one, the evap monitor, WTF that is. The inspector didn't want to waste his time since I told him I made the changes (I didn't tell him exactly what I did, I just said I "fixed it") last night. "You need to put 100 miles, and drive it around so more, yadda, yadda.." I figured the stock tune would be all it would take to get the O2 sensors back online.

I thought the EVAP was the one! Glad that worked out.

Anyway, now I have my inspection sticker for another year. Tonight, reinstall the CAI and 93 octane tune! I'm glad it's has easy as it is. However, if I go w/ high flow cats, or other exhaust mods, I could be in trouble come emissions testing time, right? Swapping LT headers & mid-pipes & hi-flow cats aint' something I want to do anually!?!?!! What will I do....
Drive it less than the annually allotted miles for inspection!
Old 2/14/07, 11:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by TillmanSpeed
HA!
That ain't gonna happen.
Too much fun to only drive a couple 1,000 miles a year.
Old 2/14/07, 11:57 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by NicksLime06
I've swapped them out in 45minutes without a lift. So now you have to decide are you willing to do 2 1/2 hours of work every year. For me the answer is hell yeah.
Old 2/14/07, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
I've swapped them out in 45minutes without a lift. So now you have to decide are you willing to do 2 1/2 hours of work every year. For me the answer is hell yeah.
But you don't need to worry about it in CA for six years!!
Old 2/14/07, 02:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

It sounds like MILs on the O2 sensors might be the answer for the exhaust mods. If I understand correctly, the ECU will think the sensors are on and "ready" (so I can pass my OBD port based emissions test again), but they won't cause the ECU to throw a code with a modded exhaust (Headers O/R H or X, etc.).
Old 2/14/07, 03:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by don_w
But you don't need to worry about it in CA for six years!!

Actually I brought my car from Hawaii so I had to get it smogged so I could register it in CA. So now I have to do it everyother year. With that said for CA residents get the six years you talking about intially.
Old 2/14/07, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
Actually I brought my car from Hawaii so I had to get it smogged so I could register it in CA. So now I have to do it everyother year. With that said for CA residents get the six years you talking about intially.
D'oh!! I didn't know you imported it.
Old 2/14/07, 06:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by don_w
D'oh!! I didn't know you imported it.
I didn't have a choice I was stationed in Oahu.
Old 2/14/07, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by TillmanSpeed

Bingo
Old 2/14/07, 07:37 PM

HA!
That ain't gonna happen.
Too much fun to only drive a couple 1,000 miles a year.
Being the fact that I don't drive my Stang during winter anyhow ? 6000 miles per year is about average and is just enough to avoid going through the hassles of emission testing..At least if I want to install an off road H or X pipe along with long tube headers ? I can do so without having to bother un-installing them and then re-installing again every year...

Quick Reply: High Flow Cats