GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Hey Tillmanspeed, need some advice........

Search this Thread

Old 2/20/07, 03:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Tillmanspeed, need some advice........

First let me say I've been lurking the forums and have noticed your increased involvement on the site. It's very refreshing to see a vendor take the time to offer advice and support to forum members.

Having said that, I'm looking for a little advice and direction in doing some mods to my 07 GT that I bought in January. I have a basic game plan and mod selection but want to get a professional opinion on the direction I'm taking. I'm staying NA so a supercharger is out of the question. My goal is to have balanced all around performer. The car will be driven mainly on the street and see very little track time. Here are the mods I have planned:

Suspension

Wheels: Wedsport TC05's 18X9 and 18X10
Tires: BFG KDW's 255/40/18 and 295/35/18
Steeda Ultralite or Sport Springs
Steeda Non Adjustable shocks/struts
Steeda Heavy Duty upper strut mounts
Steeda adjustable upper third link
Steeda adjustable panhard bar
Steeda panhard bar brace ???

Engine and Exhaust

JLT CAI
Underdrive pulleys
JBA long tube headers
JBA H pipe with cats
SCT tuner and custom dyno tune
Heavy duty motor mounts

That's it for phase one of my mods. Future mods would include Steeda lower control arms, Steeda strut tower brace and lower G Trac brace (not sure if I even need these). Engine wise I want ported heads, stage 2 or stage 3 cams, Fast Intake (when and if it becomes avail), and a larger throttle body. My goal with the engine is to maximize HP without any or very little loss in low end torque (I'm a torque junky). Gears are a possibility (3:73) but for now I'm happy with the stock 3:55's. Lastly some kind of a brake upgrade, still researching this mod.

Any advice you could give will be greatly appreciated. Also I'm local, about 15 - 20 min from your shop.

Thanks!!!
Jim
Old 2/20/07, 04:10 PM
Former Vendor

Jim,

Thank for for the kind comments! We appreciate it, and hope we can help you out as well! I think from what it looks like you're going in a great direction for a street car.

Let's start with the performance, first. I think you're making a wise choice with the JLT/SCT XCal2/Dynotune. That in conjunction with your Underdrive Pulleys (I reccommend Steeda) should have significant horsepower gains. If we can match it up with a Long Tube setup, like you mentioned you will have a great chance at making over 300RWHP on a moderate tune. I would reccommend that you go with the American Racing Headers with high flow catted X pipe, but if the JBA is your preference, you will be happy with the quality of their product, for sure. I just enjoy the fitment and attention to detail that ARH put into their systems.

The heavy duty motor mounts are also a great idea, and something that alot of people avoid for $ reasons.

Now 18x9 and 18x10's will provide a nice stance, and will hook up very nice on the street with the KDW's. Plus the KDW is a very nice looking tire as well. I've had alot of luck with these, and I assume you will be running these during the good-weather months?

I really reccomend the Steeda Ultralite Springs, as it seems you want to still enjoy cruising around the streets. The non adjustable shocks will be a nice choice, and with your upper strut mounts for camber adjustment, you'll be in good shape for alignment! The panhard bar, and panhard brace are a wise investment. You seem to have a good grasp on what will work best for the street monster you're looking to create!

If you're a torque junky, and like the off-the-line power, the next mods I would reccommend would be 3.73's and a Coast Aluminum Driveshaft.

Your engine goals also still seem streetable down the road, and you will have all of the supported mods to go with it. I think you've got a great setup going here.

Let me know what you need, I carry alot of the stuff here. We can install all of the parts, SCT custom tune, and throw it on the dyno to check your AFR and give you some printouts with HP numbers as well.

Thanks for considering us! We appreciated it! Feel free to give me a shout at any time and we'll answer any questions you have. Give me a call and we can work out whatever it is you're looking for, I got all the time in the world for TMS members.

I'm here everyday M/W/F 10AM-8PM EST and Tues/Thu 10AM-6PM EST and Saturdays 10AM-5PM EST!

CR
Tillman Speed
610-497-5776
610-497-3736
www.TillmanSpeed.com
Old 2/20/07, 04:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by TillmanSpeed
Jim,

Thank for for the kind comments! We appreciate it, and hope we can help you out as well! I think from what it looks like you're going in a great direction for a street car.

Let's start with the performance, first. I think you're making a wise choice with the JLT/SCT XCal2/Dynotune. That in conjunction with your Underdrive Pulleys (I reccommend Steeda) should have significant horsepower gains. If we can match it up with a Long Tube setup, like you mentioned you will have a great chance at making over 300RWHP on a moderate tune. I would reccommend that you go with the American Racing Headers with high flow catted X pipe, but if the JBA is your preference, you will be happy with the quality of their product, for sure. I just enjoy the fitment and attention to detail that ARH put into their systems.

The heavy duty motor mounts are also a great idea, and something that alot of people avoid for $ reasons.

Now 18x9 and 18x10's will provide a nice stance, and will hook up very nice on the street with the KDW's. Plus the KDW is a very nice looking tire as well. I've had alot of luck with these, and I assume you will be running these during the good-weather months?

I really reccomend the Steeda Ultralite Springs, as it seems you want to still enjoy cruising around the streets. The non adjustable shocks will be a nice choice, and with your upper strut mounts for camber adjustment, you'll be in good shape for alignment! The panhard bar, and panhard brace are a wise investment. You seem to have a good grasp on what will work best for the street monster you're looking to create!

If you're a torque junky, and like the off-the-line power, the next mods I would reccommend would be 3.73's and a Coast Aluminum Driveshaft.

Your engine goals also still seem streetable down the road, and you will have all of the supported mods to go with it. I think you've got a great setup going here.

Let me know what you need, I carry alot of the stuff here. We can install all of the parts, SCT custom tune, and throw it on the dyno to check your AFR and give you some printouts with HP numbers as well.

Thanks for considering us! We appreciated it! Feel free to give me a shout at any time and we'll answer any questions you have. Give me a call and we can work out whatever it is you're looking for, I got all the time in the world for TMS members.

I'm here everyday M/W/F 10AM-8PM EST and Tues/Thu 10AM-6PM EST and Saturdays 10AM-5PM EST!

CR
Tillman Speed
610-497-5776
610-497-3736
www.TillmanSpeed.com
Thanks CR!!!

I did a lot of research in deciding what mods to do and what direction I want to take with the car. A lot of it came from this site.

My car's in winter storage at the moment but hopefully if the weather is right it will be coming out of moth ***** soon. Probably in about 2 - 3 weeks time I'll be ready to start doing some mods and will be paying you a visit. I've been looking for a shop to work with and I think I finally found them!!!
Old 2/20/07, 04:32 PM
Former Vendor

Awesome! We'll be glad to help you out. I can provide you with some references, and some dyno sheets so you can see what we've done! We'll look forward to speaking with you, and depending on when you catch us, we should have alot of the stuff in stock you're interested in, so you can see the physical products before you purchase them!

THANKS!!

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 2/21/07, 06:44 AM
Former Vendor

Also, let me know on what brake setup you're looking at, as we have quite a wide selection. You'll have to stop by the shop!! THANKS

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 2/21/07, 09:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

StangFreak,
Looks like we are on the same path, almost to a 'T'. I'm taking the mods one step at a time as I can squeeze out money to burn. I look forward to hearing how your mods workout and which ones you choose.

I wish I was as close to a solid speed shop like you have up there. There maybe something in the ATX, I just haven't found them yet.

GOOD LUCK!!
Old 2/21/07, 09:21 AM
Former Vendor

Jim,

Appreciate the comments! THANKS

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 2/21/07, 03:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Lowe!
StangFreak,
Looks like we are on the same path, almost to a 'T'. I'm taking the mods one step at a time as I can squeeze out money to burn. I look forward to hearing how your mods workout and which ones you choose.

I wish I was as close to a solid speed shop like you have up there. There maybe something in the ATX, I just haven't found them yet.

GOOD LUCK!!
From what I have heard, Austin has a pretty good mustang scene with many shops that support it. Check out www.austinareastangs.com if you have not already. You should be able to hear plenty of recomendations for local shops there.
Old 2/21/07, 04:39 PM
Former Vendor

We have quite a few customers in texas, and I think they're all part of that Austin stang club. A few in Oklahoma, as well. I'm sure they'd know who to talk to!

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 2/21/07, 08:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

I 've heard of them, but hang out some at CentralTexasStangs.com. They are who I'm hookin up w/ for the dyno runs Saturday. It will give me a chance to check out the shop and ask some questions.

Thanks for the ideas, y'all!
Old 2/21/07, 09:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Lowe!
StangFreak,

GOOD LUCK!!

Hey that's pretty cool!!! I'm going to start with the suspension first, then do the power mods, and then maybe the gears and drive shaft. I can update this thread with my progress. I also want to get a base line dyno with the car bone stock so I can have a starting point to refer back to.

I'm planning to stop by Tillmanspeed in the next two weeks as long as the weather holds out.
Old 2/21/07, 10:37 PM
Cobra Member

Lowe, let me know what you think of the shop! I also check out AAS some too. I've never visited Central Texas Stangs though.... hmmm
Old 2/22/07, 03:05 AM
Bullitt Member

Lowe, quick question how do you like the ride with just the ultralites in the rear? Was your rearend off center, and do you have any pics of it?
Old 2/22/07, 02:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

I like the ultralites in the back. The leveled the car nicely. Last time I measured the rear was only a 1/4" inch higher than the front. I didn't touch the panhard rod, and everything seems perfectly centered to me. I made no adjustments.
Here are some before and after pics (obviously w/ the stock rims/tires).Sorry none from the rear straight on:

Old 2/22/07, 02:50 PM
Former Vendor

Wow, that thing actually does sit pretty nice!
Old 2/22/07, 02:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

One more from the side w/ the current wheels/tires. Still just Ultralites in the rear, stock up front:

Old 2/22/07, 02:59 PM
Former Vendor

That's just a nice looking car, end of story.

You know what it needs...

Haha! No seriously... looks awesome!
Old 2/22/07, 03:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Nice! Are you gonna be my first "sponsor"?

Thanks CR. It's getting there. Front and rear spoilers, a new hood, more performance parts from TillmanSpeed, then we'll really have something going!
Old 2/22/07, 03:11 PM
Former Vendor

I'll hook you up for a spot on the windshield! LOL

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 2/22/07, 08:36 PM
Cobra Member

Shoot if I got free parts you could put whatever you wanted on my car! haha

Quick Reply: Hey Tillmanspeed, need some advice........