GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

help! what mods should I spring for??

Search this Thread

Old 9/6/07, 12:00 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help! what mods should I spring for??

Ok I have been dreaming of a supercharger for 3 years now. that said I am now in a position where I may be able to afford one in the near future, and now I am having second thoughts!!

here is my dilemma:
currently I have these performance mods: 4.10 gears, CAI, Predator Tuner, Short throw shifter, eibach pro kit springs, nitto nt 555 285 40 18 rear tires.

Supercharger=all my money and then some and makes 150 hp if I am lucky

other options for less money than the S/C include:

Cams, Long tubes, H-pipe, udps, cmdps, electric water pump, and 100 shot of nitrous (zex kit with all the bells and whistles) this all comes out to around 3700 call it 4000 dyo tuned

I figure the latter option is superior because it will sound radical cammed, be ominous N/A, and have the big slip daddy nitrous for oh $hit situations.

Questions:

if you have nitrous are you constantly stopping to retune to use your nitrous, and then retune again for optimal n/a power? Or do you just detune and live with the sluggishness until you use the nitro?

Will a properly tuned 100 shot be easier on my motor than a blower? do I need cold plugs for the 100 shot? will i spend my time driving around a detuned nitrous vampire junky spending $50 a week on the crack junky nitro refills kicking myself for not buying a blower?

I figure that the two setups probably make about equal power, maybe the latter making a bit more if the n2o is used.

also I think if i spend 5 large for the blower i will wish i had some long tubes to let her breathe.

I also thought about turbocharging but I hear it is way more expensive, and the rotating assembly cant hang....

I look to the wisdom of the masses on the mustang source to show me the way!!!!
Old 9/6/07, 01:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Personally I would go the supercharger route, its less of hassle and when you get the mod bug again its more easily upgradeable.

to answer some of your questions.

I properlly tuned 100 shot shouldnt be any worse then a blower that typically runs 6psi.

Yes you need cold plugs, well I would highly recomend it for anything over a 75 shot.

In the long run you will spend a ton of dough on n2o refills

You may want long tubes later, but you will still love the power you get without them
Old 9/6/07, 01:45 PM
Cobra Member

Personally, I would go with the cams, tubes etc. except without the spray. You will love the osund and performance you get from cams and Lt's
Old 9/6/07, 01:56 PM
Cobra Member

thanks for the advice. It looks like a $6000.00 bill for the blower, and then another 1400 for long tubes. I think after i install a blower things will start breaking though...clutch, tranny, etc..

maybe just not a good idea at all after all...
Old 9/6/07, 05:15 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Get blown. Worry about your drivetrain if you plan on driving it hard constantly. I plan on getting a whipple when im outta school and then worry about those things when needed.

Why worry about tomorrows problems? Lifes too short. Think of it this way. Look how much more your altering with the 2nd list of most. More room for error(Im being negative, hah)

Baised towards the S/C
Old 9/6/07, 05:28 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by officespace56
Personally, I would go with the cams, tubes etc. except without the spray. You will love the osund and performance you get from cams and Lt's
how much did it cost you to do the long tubes? if you don't mind my asking.
Old 9/6/07, 06:16 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
supercharger, cheaper in the long run. Keep it in the 450's at the crank on a safe tune and the stock drivetrain should have no problem with it. Adding up all the stuff on the 'cams' shopping list will only get you close to a supercharger with the juice where you will be all the time everywhere with a blower. Not to mention a whipple/kb is barely working with a 450hp setup.
Old 9/6/07, 07:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
I weighed the same options for a year before finally deciding on the blower. The cams and longtubes sound great and perform well, but you'll have ~$3000 for a set of LT and cams installed; and you'll probably peak at around 350 rwhp. Add a 100 shot of N2O and you'll have the power you're looking for, except you'll be running different plugs, flashing a different tune whenever you want to spray, filling the bottle, etc.

So, I went with a Vortech for around $4000 and haven't looked back. I'm at 439 rwhp and guess what- next week a different pully goes on, and I'll be around 480 rwhp. Upgrading the blower is simple; upgrading the nitrous is too but you'll still have the long-term expenses and hassles mentioned above.
Old 9/6/07, 09:58 PM
Cobra R Member

Go with the blower but get a bigbrake upgrade before you get blown
Old 9/6/07, 10:11 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by tom281
I weighed the same options for a year before finally deciding on the blower. The cams and longtubes sound great and perform well, but you'll have ~$3000 for a set of LT and cams installed; and you'll probably peak at around 350 rwhp. Add a 100 shot of N2O and you'll have the power you're looking for, except you'll be running different plugs, flashing a different tune whenever you want to spray, filling the bottle, etc.

So, I went with a Vortech for around $4000 and haven't looked back. I'm at 439 rwhp and guess what- next week a different pully goes on, and I'll be around 480 rwhp. Upgrading the blower is simple; upgrading the nitrous is too but you'll still have the long-term expenses and hassles mentioned above.
ok more about the vortech!!!! where did you get it for the 4 g's? any pitfalls? pro's? cons?
Old 9/7/07, 05:38 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
If you look around you can find Vortechs or Paxtons relatively inexpensive. Brenspeed sells a bunch of them..... but they tune with SCT and by your sig you have a Predator. The pricing on the website includes a new tuner; if you kept your Predator you could take probably $300 off the price. Best bet would be to find someone local who can tune it using your Predator, or just sell your Predator and go with a SCT-tuned package.
Old 9/7/07, 02:13 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Faber
how much did it cost you to do the long tubes? if you don't mind my asking.

No problem at all. I went with the JBA Longtubes (Titanium) with catted H-Pipe that brand new for $900 that I found on ebay(lucky find). I actually installed them along with my dad and it took about 5 days, working on it at nights. Note that I am not a very mechanically savy guy, I just used the help of tacobill's writeups for my axle-back and CAI install. For the LT Headers install I used Lowe's American Racing Header Install Journal that he has on this forum which was basically the instructions I used.
Good luck with your search and if you have any other questions, go right ahead.