GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

help with SCT- mac cold air 07 GT

Search this Thread

Old 10/22/06, 08:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help with SCT- mac cold air 07 GT

I got a custom tuned SCT tuner for the 07 GT with a cold air tune. I have a mac cold air which i installed, thecar drives fine, but after about 50-60 miles i get 2 codes, both says rich (1) and rich (2) I already tried to lean outthe motor at WOT 2%, but it didnt seem to work, im thinking its running rich before WOT. what can i do? Thanks - Roger
Old 10/22/06, 09:32 PM
GT Member

Who did you get the custom tune from ? You need to get one from one of the top three tuners like Bamachips, Brenspeed, Evo.
Old 10/23/06, 07:41 AM
Team Mustang Source

you need a new tune bro,

highly recommend Doug @ BamaChips
Old 10/23/06, 04:43 PM
Bullitt Member

steeda suposedly tuned it.... according to my ford dealer.
Old 10/24/06, 11:38 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by hippiehead025
steeda suposedly tuned it.... according to my ford dealer.
nope, get a new tune from Doug @ BamaChips....
Old 10/24/06, 02:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
You need the correct air transfer function for the new MAF you installed with the CAI kit. If you have the SCT PRP, you just need the correct air transfer function.
Old 10/24/06, 04:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

You'll need a complete custom tune to correct for this. THe MAC cai although it says you can run it without a tune Requires tuning. You'd need more then a PRP to tune for it as you would need a wideband 02 to read the A/F readings at WOT when you cannot go by the cars sensor readings for the a/f.

Just let me know, I've got tunes for the MAC.

Thanks, Doug.
Old 10/24/06, 06:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Doug904
You'll need a complete custom tune to correct for this. THe MAC cai although it says you can run it without a tune Requires tuning. You'd need more then a PRP to tune for it as you would need a wideband 02 to read the A/F readings at WOT when you cannot go by the cars sensor readings for the a/f.

Just let me know, I've got tunes for the MAC.

Thanks, Doug.
Doug, I'm not an expert on this but the way I have read for years is that if you swap out the stock air intake box and MAF (they are calibrated as a unit) and go to a non-stock airbox and MAF (or in this case, a non-stock MAF and a cone filter) you need to input the proper air transfer function (can be derived from flowsheet for the MAF + filter assembly). Once you input that into the tune (using the PRP), you are good to go because the air transfer function IS THE MOST important part of the tune. When you go open loop, the PCM looks to the air transfer function. On automatics, an incorrect air transfer function can affect shifting.

Now, I can understand a full tune being required IF you do not have the flowsheet for the MAF + air filter, which I suspect is the case 99% of the time since most aftermarket parts vendors supply CAI kits are just buying a MAF and slapping a K&N on there without ever benchflowing it.

The adaptive learning only comes into play during closed loop and even then, it can only make adjustments to the air transfer function to a certain extent along with some delay.

The Crown Vic/Grand marquis owners buy the Marauder airbox and MAF and re-tune their cars with the Marauder airbox/MAF air transfer function w/o any problems (since the air transfer function is known for the MAF/airbox). Changing most parts downstream of the MAF do not appear to have any direct effect on the AFR (zip tube, intake manifold, throttle body, etc...) except some O2 transport delays with different exhaust logs/headers. At least, that is what I have read and heard over the past 3 years while using my PRP. You are correct, the dynotune is good for getting a solid tune for the MAF flow numbers at the higher AD counts, and a wideband O2 can help construct the idle/low AD Count section of the transfer function (since one would be adjusting the air transfer function based on AFR results on the dyno). However I would prefer to start with the proper air transfer function to prevent damage to my catalytic converters (easily done with a skewed air transfer function).
Old 10/25/06, 10:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by metroplex
Doug, I'm not an expert on this but the way I have read for years is that if you swap out the stock air intake box and MAF (they are calibrated as a unit) and go to a non-stock airbox and MAF (or in this case, a non-stock MAF and a cone filter) you need to input the proper air transfer function (can be derived from flowsheet for the MAF + filter assembly). Once you input that into the tune (using the PRP), you are good to go because the air transfer function IS THE MOST important part of the tune. When you go open loop, the PCM looks to the air transfer function. On automatics, an incorrect air transfer function can affect shifting.

Now, I can understand a full tune being required IF you do not have the flowsheet for the MAF + air filter, which I suspect is the case 99% of the time since most aftermarket parts vendors supply CAI kits are just buying a MAF and slapping a K&N on there without ever benchflowing it.

The adaptive learning only comes into play during closed loop and even then, it can only make adjustments to the air transfer function to a certain extent along with some delay.

The Crown Vic/Grand marquis owners buy the Marauder airbox and MAF and re-tune their cars with the Marauder airbox/MAF air transfer function w/o any problems (since the air transfer function is known for the MAF/airbox). Changing most parts downstream of the MAF do not appear to have any direct effect on the AFR (zip tube, intake manifold, throttle body, etc...) except some O2 transport delays with different exhaust logs/headers. At least, that is what I have read and heard over the past 3 years while using my PRP. You are correct, the dynotune is good for getting a solid tune for the MAF flow numbers at the higher AD counts, and a wideband O2 can help construct the idle/low AD Count section of the transfer function (since one would be adjusting the air transfer function based on AFR results on the dyno). However I would prefer to start with the proper air transfer function to prevent damage to my catalytic converters (easily done with a skewed air transfer function).

Your right but when the company you purchase the MAF or even CAI from doesn't provide a transfer function for it, mainly because they dont use a flowbench, then you have to start somewhere. This is how you develope a transfer function for a new CAI on the market.

The adaptive learning on his car is maxed out and this is why he's getting the codes with the new MAF. Most of the CAI on the market today that say " No tuning required" are simply playing off the range of adjustment that is built into the Ford PCM. They are just within toleration of the LT and ST fuel trims enough to not set off the CEL, or they use a device to adjust the MAF voltage to make it think that its not flowing as much as it truly is. Where this barely works for part throttle driving at WOT this isn't the case because the PCM is using factory presets on the transfer function and ignoring the O2's so it doesn't know what it is putting out, it only knows the amount of fuel to put into it from the MAF transfer function.

This is why you can get a tune close with the MAF function reading the ST and LT fuel trims from the stock PCM but in order to complete the MAF transfer function you have to have a Wideband reading to complete the high end of the trasnfer function to output the proper A/F ratio's.

In other words, ON the 05-07 Mustang's and nearly any ford with the new blade stype MAF, you need a tune to use a CAI.

Thanks, Doug.
Old 10/25/06, 11:26 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Doug,

Thanks for the clarification!