GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Help needed installing AFR/Boost/Fuel pressure gauges sensors and sender units

Search this Thread

Old 3/21/07, 04:57 PM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Help needed installing AFR/Boost/Fuel pressure gauges sensors and sender units

i got the Autometer Nexus AFR on the way, and currently have the Autometer Nexus Boost/Vaccum, Water temp, and Fuel pressure

can someone please guide me as to where the sender units for these gauges could practically be installed on our cars?

i noticed today while the car is jacked up that i have two unused ports right around the middle of each catalytic convertor (we don't have rear O2 sensors) and thought we could use these for the wideband AFR, rather than drilling a hole elsewhere along the exhaust.. but then i heard that that won't work, as the sensor should be before the cats (between the headers and cats)

similarly for the fuel pressure sensor.. i figure that should be mounted somewhere along the fuel line, but where is a good convenient place to do so?

thanks guys
Old 3/21/07, 08:09 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My NEXUS Wideband should be here tomorrow, so after I see the entire kit, I should be able to let you know about how to install it.

You should get a bung welded before the cat, if you are running a catted mid pipe/headers.

If you have an off road setup, your rear o2 bungs would work fine.

Since you have a Whipple, you'll likely have to tap into the fuel crossover line. This has been debated before, and that's the only feasible way. You can't really tap into the rails unless you install them backwards or go aftermarket. All of the Fuel Rail Access Kits hit the intake tube so you can't use one of those.

The boost line will just tap into a vacuum line.
Old 3/22/07, 02:14 PM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

all done (but AFR)
i got the water temp gauge sender bolted into the whipple water cross.. just removed the purge valve and put the sensor in.. it fit right in

the boost gauge was tapped into the boost line running to the bypass actuator

for the fuel pressure sensor, we welded a braket onto the end of the fuel rail that allows the sensor to be bolted in smoothly.. works like a charm
Old 3/22/07, 03:32 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Originally Posted by G.T
all done (but AFR)
i got the water temp gauge sender bolted into the whipple water cross.. just removed the purge valve and put the sensor in.. it fit right in

the boost gauge was tapped into the boost line running to the bypass actuator

for the fuel pressure sensor, we welded a braket onto the end of the fuel rail that allows the sensor to be bolted in smoothly.. works like a charm

Do you mind taking pics of that bracket for the fuel rail...This may help out a lot of people!
Old 3/22/07, 04:15 PM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

sure thing bud..
just give me till the morning to get a good shot (it's 2AM here )
Old 3/22/07, 05:04 PM
Former Vendor

I gotta say Louie, sound like you and the guys at the shop know what you're doing.

Any luck with the voltmeter on that other problem?
Old 3/22/07, 11:46 PM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

i printed out the wiring diagram you sent me, and some 40 pages from the "Powertrain Control and Emissions Diagnosis" section of the workshop manual with pinpoint tests for the pump and driver modules.. then i fell asleep at my keyboard
just woke up 5 minutes back.. so i guess i'll be spending the morning in my trunk with the voltmeter
Old 3/23/07, 01:59 AM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

As promised..

following is the water temp sender installed on the water cross where the coolant purge valve used to be:
Attachment 22209

here's how the boost/vaccuum MAP sensor was hooked to the vaccum hose of the bypass actuator
Attachment 22210

and here's how i welded a bracket onto the fuel rail to mount the fuel pressure sensor
Attachment 22211

finally.. this is what the gauges look like in the Speed of Sound triple gauge pod during initialization (i've set the color to blue to match with my select MyColor dash color )
Attachment 22212

** Click on the images to enlarge them **
Attached Thumbnails Help needed installing AFR/Boost/Fuel pressure gauges sensors and sender units-pic_0182.jpg   Help needed installing AFR/Boost/Fuel pressure gauges sensors and sender units-pic_0183.jpg   Help needed installing AFR/Boost/Fuel pressure gauges sensors and sender units-pic_0184.jpg   Help needed installing AFR/Boost/Fuel pressure gauges sensors and sender units-pic_0174.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
skythunder83 (8/24/19)
Old 3/23/07, 03:29 PM
3rd Times A Charm

So you just tapped into the fuel rail...I thought you had made an access kit work by building a bracket.

Good job either way. Looks pretty good!
Old 3/24/07, 11:21 AM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

By the way..
regarding the Wideband AFR sensor.. i've noticed my Catalytic convertors have a socket in the middle of them that's simply plugged with a bolt.
i've checked that on the workshop manual and that seems to be where the "Catalyst Monitor Sensor" should have been mounted.. but my car doesn't have them anyway, as it's been built up to different specs, to be sold overseas.

Can i use the socket in the middle of the Cat to mount my AFR sensor?
i was told this would cause my AFR gauge reading to be off, and that i'd have to drill and mount the sensor before the cats..

what's everyone's take on this?
i'd love to be able to reuse the same socket, as it's now plugged with a bolt doing nothing, rather than drill or weld the sensor elsewhere!
Old 3/24/07, 11:37 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by G.T
By the way..
regarding the Wideband AFR sensor.. i've noticed my Catalytic convertors have a socket in the middle of them that's simply plugged with a bolt.
i've checked that on the workshop manual and that seems to be where the "Catalyst Monitor Sensor" should have been mounted.. but my car doesn't have them anyway, as it's been built up to different specs, to be sold overseas.

Can i use the socket in the middle of the Cat to mount my AFR sensor?
i was told this would cause my AFR gauge reading to be off, and that i'd have to drill and mount the sensor before the cats..

what's everyone's take on this?
i'd love to be able to reuse the same socket, as it's now plugged with a bolt doing nothing, rather than drill or weld the sensor elsewhere!
That's simply where a regular narrowband o2 sensor would read the voltage from to make sure your cats are working properly (in the states or elsewhere). Whether your o2's are there or not, the cat is still there working properly, just not programmed into the PCM. The wideband AFR's still must read BEFORE exhaust gasses are cleaned to know the correct mixture for tuning, monitoring, etc.

In order to get a reliable wideband AFR reading you must weld in an o2 sensor bung before the cats.

CR
Old 3/24/07, 11:39 AM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by TillmanSpeed
That's simply where a regular narrowband o2 sensor would read the voltage from to make sure your cats are working properly.

In order to get a reliable wideband AFR reading you must weld in an o2 sensor bung before the cats.

CR
looking at the workshop manual, i see the Heated Oxygen Sensors are mounted just before the cats.. you think i'd have these on mine, or perhaps again an empty socket i can hopefully reuse?
Old 3/24/07, 11:43 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by G.T
looking at the workshop manual, i see the Heated Oxygen Sensors are mounted just before the cats.. you think i'd have these on mine, or perhaps again an empty socket i can hopefully reuse?
But your upstream o2's are probably still in the PCM calibration and in use. The rear o2's are the ones that are not in the stock calibration for gulf cars, to my knowledge. Check to see if there are sensors screwed into these bungs. If they are, you will still have to weld another bung, as those o2's are funcitonal. If not... bingo!
Old 3/24/07, 11:47 AM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

i'll put the car back up on the lift tomorrow to remove the LM-1 wideband sensor i had in the CAT for the past 4 days.. then will have a look around

btw.. check your PM/email please, i need some cable extensions for the AFR gauge
Old 3/24/07, 11:54 AM
Former Vendor

I saw it, ordered it. It's sitting at the shop right now.

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 3/24/07, 11:59 AM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

2x3 or 1x6?
is it sitting with the AFR kit?
Old 3/24/07, 12:08 PM
Former Vendor

The 5224, and I have the AFR coming in for Wednesday. Hopefully FRPP will be done your tune by then and everything can leave Friday.

CR
Old 3/24/07, 12:11 PM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by TillmanSpeed
The 5224
i need 2 of these so i can daisy chain them for a total 6ft extension
Old 3/24/07, 12:50 PM
Former Vendor

Done deal...
Old 3/25/07, 12:53 AM
3rd Times A Charm

NEXUS Wideband Notes:

Here are some things you should look at when it comes to your NEXUS Wideband...

NEW REMOTE CONTROL FIRMWARE REQUIRED

Existing NEXUS systems can use the new Wideband O2 gauge with a firmware update for the remote control. Firmware is available for download at: www.autometer.com or by contacting Auto Meter directly at 1-815-899-0801

So, if you have the 6400 Controller, you'll need to get the firmware upgrade to run this Wideband.

Matter of fact, the gauge won't even show power without the upgrade.

NEXUS has a new 12 channel controller that supposedly is "Wideband Ready" that is coming out. There may be a few people that already have them. As far as I know, the firmware upgrade should give the same wideband capabilites as the new controller.

I am waiting on a response from Autometer as to how to get the firmware upgrade. Contrary to what they say in the instructions, it's not available for download on their website yet...

As far as the sensor location, it either needs to be in a new bung before the cat, or in the rear o2 sensor bung on an Off Road Mid Pipe. You can have the rear o2's turned off in your tune.

Quick Reply: Help needed installing AFR/Boost/Fuel pressure gauges sensors and sender units