GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Help with mods

Search this Thread

Old 5/9/06 | 06:35 PM

Help with mods

I'm slowly beginning to mod my '05 'vert. Anyway, I installed some Flowmasters and K&N Aircharger a few days ago. The Flows sound great and the Aircharger works great, but my car idles funny now. I don't have the money to spend on a tuner right now. By the way, my car did come with the hydrocarbon trap, but I left it out during the K&N installation. My rpm hand doesn't move much at idle, but it dances just a little. You can hear it idling funny too. It almost sounds like I need a tune up. I have run it hard since I made the changes. I hope I didn't harm the engine. Any advice will be appreciated.
Old 5/9/06 | 07:10 PM

Try disconecting the battery.Them connect,start and let idle.Dont touch the gas for a few minutes while it relearns.
Old 5/9/06 | 07:11 PM

If that dont work you will have to get a tuner to get it right.
Old 5/9/06 | 07:41 PM

Thanks for the response, but I did that when I hooked up the aircharger. My wife also said she turned the a/c on yesterday, and the rpm hand went down as if the car was about to cut off.
Old 5/10/06 | 05:24 PM

Hello, anyone else there?
Old 5/10/06 | 07:11 PM
V6 Member

Has your area gone through any significant climate changes? The cars computer adjusts itself to your driving conditions and the climate however sometimes the car is used to running with an ambient temp and humidity that may be last months weather. Here's the trick. Full throttle will force the computer to gather real time info and readjust its settings.... If you live in the midwest, like I do, I run into similar conditions with all my Ford vehicles in the spring and fall.... Hope this helps.
P.S. nothing you added should change the way the car idles......
Old 5/10/06 | 07:34 PM

Well, I've driven it at full throttle several times since adding the k&n. I reinstalled the h/c trap and the car seems to be running better, but it lost a significant amount of power. I'm thinking about purchasing an XCAL2, but I don't want to be spending most of my time using it to diagnose error codes caused by the new tunes.
Old 5/10/06 | 08:59 PM

I had the same thing happen when i removed the hydrocarbon trap while installing the k&n intake. i put the trap back in, but went ahead and bought the xcal 2 (tuned by doug at bamachips), took the trap out and installed the 93 torque tune, no issues at all, it ran very smooth.