GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Help me plot an upgrade path for my 2008 Bullitt!

Search this Thread

Old 10/28/08, 10:21 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me plot an upgrade path for my 2008 Bullitt!

OK, I drive the car year-round, so I'm not going with a supercharger...

My current thoughts:

Kooks Longtubes with an H pipe w/cats to stock cat-back (Bullitt Cat back)
Comp NSR Stage 2 cams (I have a 6500 rpm redline and 3.73's already)
Custom tune, 91 octane only.
Shaftmasters 4" Aluminum DS and a loop.
Whatever shifter I can install that leaves me with the factory Bullitt **** and boot. (Roush?)
I'll probably need a new clutch... ??? Looking at a RAM unit with a billet flywheel. I would not go with an aluminum FW, this car is hard enough to launch without losing that weight.
Slicks. What's going to fit? This would be a late next summer purchase if I feel like picking some up. I suspect a 15" wheel won't fit over the brakes.

I haven't done many searches, but I've been on the message board scene for a while and it's always cool to bench race in a new thread about parts and what people would do with your car. I've been a longtime lurker on this site, but finally got my Bullitt at the end of June. The only mods so far are a set of 17" take-off wheels (silver, bullitt style) and 4 225/60R17 Toyo G02 Observes.
Old 10/28/08, 10:27 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by eighty6gt

My current thoughts:

Whatever shifter I can install that leaves me with the factory Bullitt **** and boot. (Roush?)
I'll probably need a new clutch... ??? Looking at a RAM unit with a billet flywheel. I would not go with an aluminum FW, this car is hard enough to launch without losing that weight.
Slicks. What's going to fit? This would be a late next summer purchase if I feel like picking some up. I suspect a 15" wheel won't fit over the brakes.

I haven't done many searches, but I've been on the message board scene for a while and it's always cool to bench race in a new thread about parts and what people would do with your car. I've been a longtime lurker on this site, but finally got my Bullitt at the end of June. The only mods so far are a set of 17" take-off wheels (silver, bullitt style) and 4 225/60R17 Toyo G02 Observes.
Go Coast 4" on the Driveshaft with a BMR Loop... you'll be happy!

Go with the Hurst Billet Shifter - we've been switching over to them lately and it's my favorite shifter out of them all....

Go Spec stage 2+ with the Low Pedal option and SPEC's lightweight steel flywheel....

Give me a call because we do ALL of this in-house and sell the parts mail order. I can beat/match pricing on all of this and have it in stock for same-day shipping.

Go with some NT555r's in the back, or 17" new take-offs with good Old 26x11.5x17 Mickey's out back.

Give me a call!

Chris Rose
Tillman Speed Inc.
www.TillmanSpeed.com
610-497-5776
Old 10/28/08, 10:30 AM
Team Mustang Source

Are you Chris Rose, like worked for ATI procharger chris rose, has a mustang project car chris rose?

What about the power mods? What am I looking at for crank hp with a cam and lt's... 350?

I'll be doing the work next spring when I'm putting the summer tires back on!
Old 10/28/08, 10:37 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

My current thoughts:

I'm going to nit pick your first statement... Supercharger doesn't hinder daily driving? I do roughly 1500-2000 miles a month with my Vortech HO system. No issues

Shifter, I highly recommend MGW. Adjustable throw and awesome shift feel. Do a search on forums you'll see its highly regarded. And I'm sure you'll be able to use the stock Bullit ****. MGW sells two thread types.

Why are you going to need a new clutch? Stock clutch will handle everything your throwing at it. Heck, I'm still on the stock clutch and its got 40k miles on it and it holds fine. Rarely does it ever feel like its slipping.

No CAI? I would look into something other then what comes stock.

The rest seems good. Nice choice in LT's and etc.

Last edited by JonCo; 10/28/08 at 10:39 AM.
Old 10/28/08, 10:42 AM
Former Vendor

Are you Chris Rose, like worked for ATI procharger chris rose, has a mustang project car chris rose?

What about the power mods? What am I looking at for crank hp with a cam and lt's... 350?

I'll be doing the work next spring when I'm putting the summer tires back on!
Different Chris Rose. I actually have conversed quite frequently some time ago when we were doing primarily Procharger for FI with that Chris Rose. I'm the Chris Rose from the best damned sports show.... okay no I'm not. Same thing. No Mustang Project, SOLD... I'm going 2010 Anyway...

Power-wise with a CAI, LT's, Delete Plates, UDP's, Cams, you should be at about 325-350 RWHP depending on correction factor, mustang dyno or dynojet. This is how broad I have to be with my numbers anymore because I speak in SAE Corrected Dynojet numbers, and others don't.

Flywheel horsepower should be closer to 385-400ish. Very nice.

The Coast Driveshaft, Hurst Billet Shifter, 3.73's and our custom tune will accent that so nicely. You'll have a naturally aspirated rocket.

That SPEC clutch and flywheel setup I told you about is honestly the BEST feeling setup that I've driven in any car. Period. And it'll withstand tons of power for when you finally get that supercharger! LOL

Chris Rose
Tillman Speed Inc.
www.TillmanSpeed.com
610-497-5776

Last edited by TillmanSpeed; 10/28/08 at 10:43 AM.
Old 10/28/08, 10:44 AM
Team Mustang Source

Vortech does not warranty their blowers below 0C, AFAIK. It gets to around -35, -40C here. I have a block and oil pan heater to deal with that.

My stock clutch slips on launches already. Could be my technique, however I did run the same FMS HD in my '86 for years and years. Could be a lemon. I can smell lining...

My car has the Ford Racing CAI stock, I like it so it stays!
Old 10/28/08, 10:46 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by JonCo
No CAI? I would look into something other then what comes stock.

Bullitt already has an upgrade over the stock GT's.

Based on your clutch upgrade, and talking of sticking slicks on there.. I would think you should replace the hydro-motor mounts so when you are dumping on the starting line you aren't trying to flip the motor/trans over in the tunnel.
Old 10/28/08, 11:02 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Shotokan1509
It's an okay intake. The Racer intake or Steeda w/HF Elbow would probably be worth 5-8RWHP difference.

Based on your clutch upgrade, and talking of sticking slicks on there.. I would think you should replace the hydro-motor mounts so when you are dumping on the starting line you aren't trying to flip the motor/trans over in the tunnel.
Very valid point. Prothane's are cheap (priced), billet, and strong!
Old 10/28/08, 11:31 AM
Team Mustang Source

Getting to be a lot of parts! $$$$$$$$

I wonder what a cam, tune, and exhaust will be worth on the new Camaro SS? 400 RW!

I flip flop around between keeping this car long-term, trading on a 2011 GT w/400 HP, going over to the dark side, plopping a blower on and getting a beatervan for winter...

What is the benefit of the low pedal setup with the clutch? I know I'm keeping the Bullitt for a couple of years, and I would like a heavier clutch for sure.

Have you tuned any Bullitt's Chris? If so, what have been the results?
Old 10/28/08, 03:03 PM
Former Vendor

We've tuned quite a few bullitts. It really is the same results as the GT depending on what intake you go with. There's a small HP increase if you compare like an 07 GT with C&L Racer and tune and if you put a racer intake on the bullitt and tune.

The low pedal is simply for the feeling daily driving. It feels nice and firm, too. The Stage II+ chatters a little bit just off of idle, but it's so worth it!

Chris
Old 10/29/08, 01:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Saleen 475 kit and ARH longtubes.

The end.

Old 10/30/08, 12:48 AM
Cobra Member

eighty6gt, have you been to IMBOC yet?
Old 10/30/08, 08:30 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

They're are still better options out there. I guess what I should have said was a CAI/Tune. A tune, that's what I'm getting after.