GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Help me pick my next mod!

Search this Thread

Old 12/22/06, 02:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Help me pick my next mod!

Just as the title says......

I'm really wanting to buy a blower this spring, but it's alot of cash so I haven't fully committed. In the meantime, it's been a while since I purchased a "new" mod for the car (exhaust doesn't count) so, what should my next mod be?

My current mods are in my signature- I haven't decided if it should be a performance mod or an appearance mod, so tell me what you think and why. Here are some options:

Performance:
  • longtube headers
  • shorty headers
  • electric water pump
  • upper control arm; other suspension mods
  • or just save the $$ for a blower?
Appearance:
  • new rear spoiler
  • wheels and/or tires or both
  • lowering springs
  • chrome underhood accessories
  • new grille- billut or center fogs?
What would you guys do next? There are photos of the car at the cardomain.com link below.

Thanks,

Tom
Old 12/22/06, 02:35 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm in the same boat Tom, some wheels and lowering springs would do you good . What exactly does a elecrtical water pump do?
Old 12/22/06, 02:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tom281
Just as the title says......

I'm really wanting to buy a blower this spring, but it's alot of cash so I haven't fully committed. In the meantime, it's been a while since I purchased a "new" mod for the car (exhaust doesn't count) so, what should my next mod be?

My current mods are in my signature- I haven't decided if it should be a performance mod or an appearance mod, so tell me what you think and why. Here are some options:

Performance:
  • longtube headers
  • shorty headers
  • electric water pump
  • upper control arm; other suspension mods
  • or just save the $$ for a blower?
Appearance:
  • new rear spoiler
  • wheels and/or tires or both
  • lowering springs
  • chrome underhood accessories
  • new grille- billut or center fogs?
What would you guys do next? There are photos of the car at the cardomain.com link below.

Thanks,

Tom
Hey Tom,
Here's my imput for what it is worth.
Longtubes... After you have removed the cats half of their gain is gone. If you stay NA. May only gain additional 10-15 rwhp.
Shorties... not worth the bucks or trouble to put them on.
Meziere pump... Worth the money. You can feel the difference.
Suspension mods... Guess that depends if you want to race. For day to day driver I am Okay with the way they handle stock.
Just save for the blower... You won't need the other performance mods if you get the blower.
Another thought would be an aluminum driveshaft. The claims are 15 -20 rwhp in benefit. I will do this myself-just waiting for the prices to come down and they are starting to.

As far as appearance mods go... I think the proper wheels and tires make the most striking difference in these cars. I am still waiting for my 18 x9.5 Steeda Chrome Pentars and Nittos to get here next month.

New Spoiler... depends what kind. No boy racer stuff.
Lower Springs... Worth the 200 bucks
Chrome underhood goodies...
Centered fog lights... For $125.00 I think it makes a positive statement. I am also looking at this mod.

Just my 2 $.
Scott

P.S. I think we all have a chronic modding problem. Maybe we should get some professional help.
Old 12/22/06, 02:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Easy answer:
http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/s...m=ETDragRadial
http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/w...hp?item=ETDrag
Old 12/22/06, 03:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Scott- my thoughts to your suggestions are in BLUE below. Thanks!

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Hey Tom,
Here's my imput for what it is worth.
Longtubes... After you have removed the cats half of their gain is gone. If you stay NA. May only gain additional 10-15 rwhp.
Shorties... not worth the bucks or trouble to put them on.
Meziere pump... Worth the money. You can feel the difference. I'm thinking about one of these now..... you like yours huh?
Suspension mods... Guess that depends if you want to race. For day to day driver I am Okay with the way they handle stock. I got lower control arms that eliminated my wheelhop- I was thinking about an upper control arm to help even more.
Just save for the blower... You won't need the other performance mods if you get the blower. I want a blower so bad I can taste it- BIG TIME!
Another thought would be an aluminum driveshaft. The claims are 15 -20 rwhp in benefit. I will do this myself-just waiting for the prices to come down and they are starting to. I forgot about the al driveshaft- good point!

As far as appearance mods go... I think the proper wheels and tires make the most striking difference in these cars. I am still waiting for my 18 x9.5 Steeda Chrome Pentars and Nittos to get here next month. To tell the truth, I'm waiting on your Pentars to get here too! I want to see how they look . I really like the Shelby CS66 and 67's too......

New Spoiler... depends what kind. No boy racer stuff. What, no whale-tail?? I dig ya, the only two I like that will work for me without filling and painting the holes are Roush and GT500. I should've gone Spoiler Delete and got a Street Scenes ducktail- those look AWESOME imo.
Lower Springs... Worth the 200 bucks. Do you think I'll need an adjustable panhard bar then? I've heard some people do, others don't.
Chrome underhood goodies... I go to car shows...... 4 plaques and 2 three-foot trophies this past summer- fun for me and my 7yr old son.
Centered fog lights... For $125.00 I think it makes a positive statement. I am also looking at this mod. The look is starting to grow on me- I really like Rich's (GRAYPNY) car with the centered fogs and pony emblem.

Just my 2 $.
Scott

P.S. I think we all have a chronic modding problem. Maybe we should get some professional help.
UH, YES!
Old 12/22/06, 03:08 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I'd do wheels and tires...18"
Old 12/22/06, 03:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 2005sonicBOOST
I'm in the same boat Tom, some wheels and lowering springs would do you good . What exactly does a elecrtical water pump do?
I need wheels and tires for sure- just can't narrow down to what I want the most. An electric water pump turns the pump without using engine power to do so- they say its an easy 10 horse gain.

Thanks,

Tom
Old 12/22/06, 03:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Right on! I failed to mention that an extra pair of 17" bullits and ET streets are coming this spring, for sure! That is def. going to happen. With traction and practice, I should get into the 12's fairly easily with the rwhp and torque that I have now.

Thanks!!
Old 12/22/06, 03:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Scott- my thoughts to your suggestions are in BLUE below. Thanks!

UH, YES!

Yep, I like the meziere pump.. No issues
Go with the adj. panard bar. It doesn't cost much. Better safe than sorry.
Here a picture of the Pentars on a car. http://www.steeda.com/products/pentar_chrome_05.php
There is alot of good looking wheels out there. It ain't cheap to do wheels and tires so just make sure you really , really like what you pick. If your like me you'll only get one shot at new wheels.
Old 12/22/06, 03:23 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
port your heads
Old 12/22/06, 03:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Yep, I like the meziere pump.. No issues
Go with the adj. panard bar. It doesn't cost much. Better safe than sorry.
Here a picture of the Pentars on a car. http://www.steeda.com/products/pentar_chrome_05.php
There is alot of good looking wheels out there. It ain't cheap to do wheels and tires so just make sure you really , really like what you pick. If your like me you'll only get one shot at new wheels.
Those Pentars look sexy.........

Your advice on wheels sounds good- I wish I would have followed guidance like that before I got married! J/K, LOL
Old 12/22/06, 03:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Torrence
port your heads
Has anyone had good results yet from head porting? I know of some examples, but it seems like for the price I may as well go with new cams.
Old 12/22/06, 03:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Has anyone had good results yet from head porting? I know of some examples, but it seems like for the price I may as well go with new cams.

From what I have read. If you stay NA is not worth the expense. Go blown and it might be worth 30 hp. Tom, I guess you gotta make your mind first about staying NA or FI. It's only money.
Old 12/22/06, 03:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

From what I have read. If you stay NA is not worth the expense. Go blown and it might be worth 30 hp. Tom, I guess you gotta make your mind first about staying NA or FI. It's only money.
I think I already know deep down. I'm just not used to having to wait so long- and that means, while I'm waiting (saving cash) it's hard not to spend it! Darn this addiction straight to h3ll.
Old 12/22/06, 03:51 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wheels and tires, Suspension first! I,ve gone back to Kenny Brown's school of thought! All the power in the worlds no good if you cant get it to the pavement! ....cant build a good house! to last on a mud foundation!.. your married how fast do you need to go to the grocery store Tom!...
Old 12/22/06, 03:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

[quote=blkstang06;804101........your married how fast do you need to go to the grocery store Tom!... [/quote]

Ha! I just spit up on myself after that one! Quit wasting my brew!
Old 12/22/06, 03:57 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by blkstang06
your married how fast do you need to go to the grocery store Tom!...
Old 12/22/06, 05:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I think I've found a deal on the electric water pumps..... around $280 delivered. Might be a good idea, even considering a blower.
Old 12/22/06, 05:09 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

I've got another question. When changing the oil on a vortech blower, is that just part of the normal oil change or do you have to do anything special to change the oil, thank's

-Adam
Old 12/22/06, 05:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Did you post that question in the right thread? Just curious....I was just reading this thread:http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=57893 anyway with a Vortech or Paxton they feed off the normal engine oil. You have to tap the factory oilpan and run feed/return lines. So when you change the engine oil, you in effect change the blower oil.

Quick Reply: Help me pick my next mod!