GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Help me Diag a P2196 Code!

Search this Thread

Old 8/25/08, 03:49 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me Diag a P2196 Code!

hey everyone, i've got a lil bit of an annoying problem. A few weeks ago I installed OBX long tube headers, C&L Racer package and a GT500 throttle body. So, just recently i notice that when i go to warm my car up and the vehicle gets to a certain temperature, the vehicle starts to shake and i smell more fuel then i'd like to smell. Anyways, I notice that when i try to give it a lil gas a few times to get out of that temp range and warm the vehicle up more, it goes away. Now my vehicle has been fine up untill just recently with this incident. Even though this has been occuring the last few days the check engine light was only tripped once. It was a P2196 code(Bank 1 Stuck Rich),so i figured that my O2 sensor crapped out on me. what i did was, i went out and purchased Bosch O2 sensors(which are supposed to be really good sensors from what i been hearing)and replaced the stock upstream sensors with the bosch sensors. Guess what!! this problem is still occuring. I cant figure out what it is and its annoying. The thing is that it only occurs when i have to warm the engine up. There is something going on in that temp range thats not supposed to happen i guess. When the vehicle shakes, there is nothing wrong with my idle. Idle is not a concern and i know the throttle body is fine. I purchased the Racer package from brenspeed and recieved a 93 race tune from them for my mods. i dont think it would be a tune issue because if it was wouldnt it happen from day one? Anybody experience anything like this or heard of this happening? please help with some info if you can! thanks.
Old 8/25/08, 05:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
had the same issue when i did OBX and brents tune, i talk w/ seth @ Bspeed and he said it could be a sensor. i cleared the code and it never came back. so i dont think its the sensor. contact brent and get a new tune.
Old 8/25/08, 05:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
I would think it's a problem in the tune, in relation to the sensor location on your long tubes. Call or email Brent or Dave at Brenspeed, see what they think. Also you could try PMing 70MACH1OWNER and Aircare84, as they both have OBX long tubes and tunes from Brenspeed.
Old 8/25/08, 07:23 PM
Cobra Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
When I installed my OBX LT's, I got a couple of P2196 codes. I swapped the sensors from side to side, cleaned the connectors w/electrical contact cleaner & have not had any reoccurances. I would contact Brent & see if he has any other suggestions. I think the other side would give you a P2198.
I've also had him add a delay in the O2 sensor circuit as the OBX's have the O2 bung in the collector & the sensor does not run as hot where it is in relation to the stock location.
I think with mine, I just didn't have a good contact with the extender harnesses.
I'm guessing you are running extensions & have the stock forward O2 sensors in the headers?
Old 8/25/08, 08:06 PM
Cobra Member

yes my upstream sensors are down in the collectors. what i dont understand is, if it was a tune concern why is it showing up now all of a sudden. i hope its only a tune concern, that would make life easier. the other thing that sucks is that my passenger side header is turning from bronze to purplish.
Old 8/25/08, 08:27 PM
Cobra Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd still suggest swapping the sensors first.If you still get the P2196, I'd call Brent, if only 1 header is changing color there may be an issue. Mine have turned to a bronze color, but not really a purple color.

Let us know how you make out.

I know Scott has never had that code since his install.
Old 8/26/08, 05:58 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Larry is correct. To date I have not thrown any codes related to the O2 sensors. My headers are a straw color like Larrys. I would also suggest calling Brent to see if adding a delay in your tune will help.

Last edited by 70MACH1OWNER; 8/26/08 at 06:29 AM.
Old 8/26/08, 04:13 PM
Cobra Member

hey guys, I think i fixed the issue. i took off my Gt500 throttle body and reattached the racer intake and returned my vehicle to stock, then downloaded my 93 race tune. i start the vehicle and it runs smooth from cold all the way up to operating temp. There doesnt seem to be any issues present right now so im leaning towards the thought of it being fixed. i guess i'll have to pay a little attention to it for a few days.

SO! To make a long story short, if you have a GT500 throttle body on and it seems to be giving you similar problems as i have stated above, then watch out!! learn from my mistake. i should have never put that **** thing on. hopefully all is well now, oh and by the way thanks to dave at brenspeed, one of his first suggestions was the throttle body and he seems to be correct!. SO, thanks dave and thanks to all you fellow stangers with your suggestions! always appreciated!
Old 8/26/08, 05:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by classix_stang289
hey guys, I think i fixed the issue. i took off my Gt500 throttle body and reattached the racer intake and returned my vehicle to stock, then downloaded my 93 race tune. i start the vehicle and it runs smooth from cold all the way up to operating temp. There doesnt seem to be any issues present right now so im leaning towards the thought of it being fixed. i guess i'll have to pay a little attention to it for a few days.

SO! To make a long story short, if you have a GT500 throttle body on and it seems to be giving you similar problems as i have stated above, then watch out!! learn from my mistake. i should have never put that **** thing on. hopefully all is well now, oh and by the way thanks to dave at brenspeed, one of his first suggestions was the throttle body and he seems to be correct!. SO, thanks dave and thanks to all you fellow stangers with your suggestions! always appreciated!

Brent, Dave and Seth are good eggs. You won't do better!! Glad you got the issue fixed. Give us an update in a week or so!!

Last edited by 70MACH1OWNER; 8/26/08 at 05:25 PM.