GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information
View Poll Results: What should my next performance mod be?
Tokico D-Specs
21.95%
Aluminum Driveshaft
73.17%
Something else (Leave suggestion..Please don't say S/C,Turbo, Nitrous)
4.88%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Help me decide next performance mod!

Search this Thread

Old 11/1/07, 12:13 AM
whs
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bullitt995
I would go with the D-specs personally. Your car is lowered and they may improve ride quality a smidge along with handling which I know I would notice more than the sub-10rwhp you may pick up from the driveshaft.
Go with the D-specs, then do the driveshaft. I've got Steeda sport springs and D-specs on my '06. The car is an absolute blast to drive, corners are extremely fun and the ride is great.
Old 11/1/07, 07:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Driveshaft. The stock driveshaft is needlessly complex and therefore unreliable at higher power levels. I consider it a saftey feature as the stock driveshaft coming apart is not something you even want to think about.
1) Improved E.T.
2) Smoother drive line operation
3) Overall improved efficiency
4) Increased saftey
I'd still get the D-specs later as you can afford them but at least the factory struts aren't a safety issue. This is why I suggest the DS first.
Old 11/1/07, 11:34 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Vapor
Anyone car to provide some links to the more popular driveshafts for our car? Please.
I got the one from Powerhouse quite a ways back. It's held up great with zero problems. Here's the link to it....

http://powerhouse411.com/catalog/ind...products_id=27

And then there's the Spydershaft, it's probably one of the most popular ones around and best priced. Here's the website to his, which is the only thing he sells right now. There are tons of people across the mustang boards that are happy with it.

http://www.leonardracingproducts.com/
Old 11/1/07, 11:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by ScottM
I got the one from Powerhouse quite a ways back. It's held up great with zero problems. Here's the link to it....

And then there's the Spydershaft, it's probably one of the most popular ones around and best priced. Here's the website to his, which is the only thing he sells right now. There are tons of people across the mustang boards that are happy with it.

I see you have Steeda Ultra lites and pro action shocks and struts. Did you swap them out at the same time or did you have the springs with the stock shock and struts for awhile? If you did, did the ride feel smoother after getting the shocks and struts?
Old 11/1/07, 02:50 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
I see you have Steeda Ultra lites and pro action shocks and struts. Did you swap them out at the same time or did you have the springs with the stock shock and struts for awhile? If you did, did the ride feel smoother after getting the shocks and struts?
I didn't install the shocks and struts until quite a while after the Ultralites. The ride definitely got smoother and feels over all a lot better then before. I will say though that the ride really wasn't that bad with just the springs, but was a bit um, bumpier, I guess would be a way to put it. Basically, I rode in a friends stock suspension Roush and forgot how smooth they really are, so I wanted to try to get back to that. I'm right back to how it felt stock, for the most part, but handles better.

I love these shocks and struts, they aren't adjustable like some, but I didn't need that. Plus, they are quite a bit less expensive then some others out there. If I could only do one and pick between those 2, I'd still do the driveshaft, but I love how the car rides now. What are you looking for though? Are you looking for better handling and probably a little better ride, or maybe a little more oomf off the line? You really can't go wrong with either mod.

Edit: Just noticed you've got the Ultralite springs as well, so you know what I mean about the ride...
Old 11/1/07, 05:40 PM

Thx!
Old 11/1/07, 05:53 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I didn't install the shocks and struts until quite a while after the Ultralites. The ride definitely got smoother and feels over all a lot better then before. I will say though that the ride really wasn't that bad with just the springs, but was a bit um, bumpier, I guess would be a way to put it. Basically, I rode in a friends stock suspension Roush and forgot how smooth they really are, so I wanted to try to get back to that. I'm right back to how it felt stock, for the most part, but handles better.

I love these shocks and struts, they aren't adjustable like some, but I didn't need that. Plus, they are quite a bit less expensive then some others out there. If I could only do one and pick between those 2, I'd still do the driveshaft, but I love how the car rides now. What are you looking for though? Are you looking for better handling and probably a little better ride, or maybe a little more oomf off the line? You really can't go wrong with either mod.

Edit: Just noticed you've got the Ultralite springs as well, so you know what I mean about the ride...
You mean on certain roads you felt a kind of pogo stick effect? That's what I feel sometimes which it the main reason I want to upgrade the shocks and struts. So would you say it got smoother than stock or right back to stock? I'm probably on the same boat as you as far as not needing adjustability. Only reason I want to is because If I don't go adjustable the best price I've seen for the Steeda Shocks and Struts is only about $130 cheaper than the d-specs.
Old 11/2/07, 06:44 AM
GT Member

You mean on certain roads you felt a kind of pogo stick effect? That's what I feel sometimes which it the main reason I want to upgrade the shocks and struts. So would you say it got smoother than stock or right back to stock? I'm probably on the same boat as you as far as not needing adjustability. Only reason I want to is because If I don't go adjustable the best price I've seen for the Steeda Shocks and Struts is only about $130 cheaper than the d-specs.
Exactly! I never thought of it like that, but "pogo stick effect" describes it pretty well! That is pretty much gone now. It rides pretty close to stock now. You can tell it's "tighter", but now when you hit bumps and things, instead of jarring you, it's a lot smoother. Basically, when you're stock, you kind of float over a lot of the bumps, now, you still kinda feel them like with just the springs installed, but it's a lot smoother through those bumps. Overall, it just feels a lot better and, I think a better way to put it, "reminds" me of being stock. Kind of like the driveshaft, I don't regret them one bit and would do them all over again. Even my friend with the Roush that has helped me install the springs originally, and the struts/shocks afterwards said the same thing, it rides and feels much more comfortable now.

Sorry about all of the blabbering, it's kind of hard to explain, but hopefully you get the idea!
Old 11/2/07, 09:30 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Exactly! I never thought of it like that, but "pogo stick effect" describes it pretty well! That is pretty much gone now. It rides pretty close to stock now. You can tell it's "tighter", but now when you hit bumps and things, instead of jarring you, it's a lot smoother. Basically, when you're stock, you kind of float over a lot of the bumps, now, you still kinda feel them like with just the springs installed, but it's a lot smoother through those bumps. Overall, it just feels a lot better and, I think a better way to put it, "reminds" me of being stock. Kind of like the driveshaft, I don't regret them one bit and would do them all over again. Even my friend with the Roush that has helped me install the springs originally, and the struts/shocks afterwards said the same thing, it rides and feels much more comfortable now.

Sorry about all of the blabbering, it's kind of hard to explain, but hopefully you get the idea!
Thanks.
Old 11/2/07, 10:39 AM
GT Member

Thanks.
NP!