GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Help! Installing LCA's and need help!

Search this Thread

Old 6/15/06, 08:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Help! Installing LCA's and need help!

Today is my birthday and I bought myself some Steeda LCA's as my present. My wife's present to me is letting me install them peacefully without having to watch the kids make a mess in my garage........

Anyway I got them all bolted in and ready to go, but for some reason I can NOT get the brake line reconnected. I've been prying up on the spring-loaded piece that it attaches to but I can't get it to load into the notch and stay in place.

Is there a friggin' secret to this thing? Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Tom
Old 6/15/06, 08:48 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you talkin bout the very end of the brake cable? or about 3 inches down where it slides in and the little clip holds it in? You have to connect the very end first becauses you wont have enough slack otherwise.
Old 6/15/06, 08:53 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Fazm
Are you talkin bout the very end of the brake cable? or about 3 inches down where it slides in and the little clip holds it in? You have to connect the very end first becauses you wont have enough slack otherwise.
I'm talking about the piece closest to the ground, where the clip is. When I attach the end of the cable at the top, I'm about 3/8" away from being able to get the bottom in place and then get the clip in.
Old 6/15/06, 08:56 PM
Cobra R Member

Is your ebrake on? Make sure its off before you do it, or else ya, you never will get it on. But other than that no. No tricks. Ive done 5 sets now, and havent had a problem putting them back on. I just put the very end in, put the cable in place, put the clip in to hold it in place, and off i go.
Old 6/15/06, 08:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Is your ebrake on? Make sure its off before you do it, or else ya, you never will get it on. But other than that no. No tricks. Ive done 5 sets now, and havent had a problem putting them back on. I just put the very end in, put the cable in place, put the clip in to hold it in place, and off i go.
My e-brake was on when I disconnected. YIKES!.......I've tried it with it on and off now trying to get things reconnected. Do you know what I have to do to get them back on??
Old 6/15/06, 09:03 PM
Cobra R Member

hope the cable didnt stretch or something. Not sure what you can do now, if it doesnt reach with the brake off.... Have you tried layin underneath while someone else moves the brake handle up and down, seein if the cable is movin or maybe it snapped or stretched?

Side note, **** you must be strong to get those off with the brake on.
Old 6/15/06, 09:05 PM
Cobra R Member

The part on the caliper, does it pull down at all? have you tried depressing the brake pedal while pullin it down or something? Im pretty ffresh out of ideas. If i was there i could figure it out, but mechanical skills are limited to past experiences when i cant see it.
Old 6/15/06, 09:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

hope the cable didnt stretch or something. Not sure what you can do now, if it doesnt reach with the brake off.... Have you tried layin underneath while someone else moves the brake handle up and down, seein if the cable is movin or maybe it snapped or stretched?

Side note, **** you must be strong to get those off with the brake on.

Well, I thought they came off easy.......

I'll keep trying to get them back on- thanks alot for your help.

Tom
Old 6/15/06, 09:09 PM
Cobra R Member

No prob man. The part where the clip goes in, see if you can maybe pry it up (i believe) to see if it will get closer. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 6/15/06, 10:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Got 'er done man........after I put the computer down and went back outside, the first thing I did was hop in the car and cycled the parking brake on & off a couple of times. Then, slid under the car and tried reconnecting, and it went in there like swimwear........ just as easy as you said it should have done originally.

Thanks for the advise, I was gettin' pretty panicked there for a minute.

Tom
Old 6/16/06, 02:05 AM
Cobra R Member

no prob, thats what the forum is for
Old 6/16/06, 04:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Happy Birthday Tom!

Hope you enjoy your LCA's as much as I do. My car is much more buttoned down now and the wheel hop is history.
Old 6/16/06, 04:44 AM
Bullitt Member

glad you could work it out!

What difference in the ride/handing??
Old 6/16/06, 07:01 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I took the car for about a 25min drive this morning..........I am very satisfied with the outcome. I had no wheel hop on 3 agressive launches, and no additional noise or sqeeks. Also, I had no noticeable gear whine which some people have reported having after installing LCA's.

The nicest thing about these in my opinion are now when I do feel like roastin' some rubber, I can see my tach clearly because it and the whole dash is no longer jumping around!! I nailed the 1-2 shift clearly and cleanly and I'm loving it!

BTW, the LCAs I bought are the Steeda steel units, not the Steeda billit ones. Brenspeed recommended these units although they sell both, and I couldn't be happier! Saved about $160 over the billit units and they did the trick!!

Thanks to all,

Tom
Old 6/16/06, 01:05 PM
Cobra R Member

I didnt have any wheel hop on mine after the lca's either..... until i put 275 drag radials on my car... wow it came back with a vengance. Installed the UCA (3rd member) and viola, all gone.
Old 6/16/06, 01:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I didnt have any wheel hop on mine after the lca's either..... until i put 275 drag radials on my car... wow it came back with a vengance. Installed the UCA (3rd member) and viola, all gone.
Ok, thanks for the info. I'll remember that, because DRs will probably come late summer........

Thanks,

Tom