GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Help - I can't find where to drain the oil

Search this Thread

Old 6/6/05, 10:51 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by jdanza@June 6, 2005, 8:22 AM
For those that have already changed your oil in your 05 GT:
Do you know what the recommended torque specification is for the oil pan drain plug?

Even though this is an American made car, you can use German specs. Gudentight.
Old 6/6/05, 11:58 AM
V6 Member

Maybe suggesting that “if one does not know where the oil plug in may one should not be changing the oil” is a little rough, but I don’t know of many other very simple procedures (oil change) that can have such an uneven disastrous outcome if even the simplest thing is missed (new engine due to lack of oil).

So I’ll add my list of “did you”s:

1) did you take a newspaper or tin foil and create a V shape “funnel” piece below the oil filter so the dripping oil from the removal of the old filter runs down the “funnel” and into the oil collection pan rather than all over the engine and the floor.

2) did you make sure the old filter’s rubber gasket came off with the old filter and did not stick to the engine block. Two gaskets are not good.

3) did you “finger oil” the new gasket before applying the new filter so the new rubber gasket turns freely on the engine block.

4) did you pre-fill the new filter about 75% (not full because of the filter tilt). Did you wait for the oil to gurgle down into the oil baffles and fill again. This lessens the time the engine has no oil pressure waiting for the new, empty filter to fill.

5) did you make sure to NOT sit in the seat when starting the engine - just reach in - to avoid leaving that oil stain on those nice new seats because you didn’t see the oil on your pants.

Just some thoughts.

Dave
Old 6/6/05, 12:17 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Snikt@June 5, 2005, 12:56 PM
No offense, but if you have to ask where to drain the oil from then you probably shouldn't be changing the oil yourself. You could cause more harm than good to your car.
Couldn't agree with you more. Next thing you know, he didn't clean the oil filter base properly, looses all the oil and blows the motor. Now that would stink.
Old 6/6/05, 12:19 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by dapmustang@June 6, 2005, 12:01 PM

2) did you make sure the old filter’s rubber gasket came off with the old filter and did not stick to the engine block. Two gaskets are not good.

Dave
Thought I would also add "wipe down the base where the oil filter attaches to the engine to ensure no dirt gets trapped under the seal"
Old 6/6/05, 12:49 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by adrenalin@June 6, 2005, 12:22 PM
Thought I would also add "wipe down the base where the oil filter attaches to the engine to ensure no dirt gets trapped under the seal"
Dirt ???! You mean you don’t toothbrush clean your engine every weekend like I do???

Dave
Old 6/6/05, 12:56 PM
Cobra Member

I just called my dealer to ask about how much it was to have my oil changed. I then told her I would probably just do it myself. The woman then proceeds to tell me that I better keep my receipts and document when I change the oil or else my warranty could be voided. So basically, unless you spend money to have someplace change your oil, they want to void your warranty? What a load of crap.
Old 6/6/05, 11:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Merlot@June 5, 2005, 2:08 PM
Jack, after you take the plug out and drain the oil, remove your old filter. You'll notice a rubber ring on the new filter, at the top opening. Put a little oil on your finger, and run it around the rubber of the new one.
Jack, if it makes you feel any better, I DIDN'T do this step, and leaked oil all over the driveway for 3 days before my stepdad said "You didn't put oil on the seal of the new filter did you?"

Nothing feels better than doing it yourself, even when you screw something up.

Sean