GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Headers with Prochamber?

Search this Thread

Old 10/27/10, 03:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CO_VaporGT_09
I understand what you're saying, pretty much anything should be adaptable to those headers with a bit of custom work. Not straight bolt-on or slip fit, though, unless MAC are used.

In Colorado we have to emissions test with a tailpipe sniffer every 2 years, so no possibility of going catless here.
So does CA, I will just reinstall every two years. Only a weekends work to switch out the system, less if you have a lift.
Old 10/27/10, 04:14 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ETNOATS
So does CA, I will just reinstall every two years. Only a weekends work to switch out the system, less if you have a lift.
Now that's commitment!

Might think about doing the same in the future...
Old 10/29/10, 03:12 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I understand what you're saying, pretty much anything should be adaptable to those headers with a bit of custom work. Not straight bolt-on or slip fit, though, unless MAC are used.

In Colorado we have to emissions test with a tailpipe sniffer every 2 years, so no possibility of going catless here.
I might throw some cats on but a cat swap is pretty simple when the time comes....
Old 10/30/10, 09:08 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by ETNOATS
Originally Posted by SONICBOOST
I might throw some cats on but a cat swap is pretty simple when the time comes....
I looked into our regs further, and it looks like new vehicles are due 4 years after initial sale date (or maybe model year), then every 2 years after that. So I might got this route in a few years and keep the take off pieces like you said, swap out when needed. Just wonder if using anything but the stock cats would get me through, cause I could look into having a muffler shop weld in a high-flow cat to the short off-road leg and front of prochamber area.
Old 10/30/10, 01:39 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

I looked into our regs further, and it looks like new vehicles are due 4 years after initial sale date (or maybe model year), then every 2 years after that. So I might got this route in a few years and keep the take off pieces like you said, swap out when needed. Just wonder if using anything but the stock cats would get me through, cause I could look into having a muffler shop weld in a high-flow cat to the short off-road leg and front of prochamber area.
Using anything but the stock cats will depend on your area like you said but you can try a highflow cat. Check out the eastern metal matrix cats from ninosport. They only have 200 cells per sqare inch which gives a better flow when compared to the stock cats. I ran these in the past and was very pleased and will run them with my current exhaust setup if I got with cats..
Old 11/1/10, 08:48 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by SONICBOOST
Using anything but the stock cats will depend on your area like you said but you can try a highflow cat. Check out the eastern metal matrix cats from ninosport. They only have 200 cells per sqare inch which gives a better flow when compared to the stock cats. I ran these in the past and was very pleased and will run them with my current exhaust setup if I got with cats..
That should work here, there's no visual inspection, it's not CARB level. It's just the tailpipe sniffer on a dyno with a simulated short drive. There's tons of junkers around here that I would never guess would pass, so I wouldn't be surprised if some high-flow units would work.

My understanding is to get the headers on you basically need a lift, have to loosen the motor mounts (good time to go to the HD Steeda ones) and maybe the steering fork. Might try this next summer though (keep promising the wife I'm done or almost done, keep finding something new to slap on.)
Old 11/1/10, 07:39 PM

Great install writeup for MAC longtubes/prochamber with Magnaflow hi-flow cats:
http://www.fnsweet.com/forums/showth...54883&p=660268
Old 11/1/10, 08:37 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Andrew07GT
Great install writeup for MAC longtubes/prochamber with Magnaflow hi-flow cats:
http://www.fnsweet.com/forums/showth...54883&p=660268
Dude, that's sweet!! Thanks for posting it, I already downloaded it for future use. Love this:

Old 11/3/10, 11:04 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

That should work here, there's no visual inspection, it's not CARB level. It's just the tailpipe sniffer on a dyno with a simulated short drive. There's tons of junkers around here that I would never guess would pass, so I wouldn't be surprised if some high-flow units would work.

My understanding is to get the headers on you basically need a lift, have to loosen the motor mounts (good time to go to the HD Steeda ones) and maybe the steering fork. Might try this next summer though (keep promising the wife I'm done or almost done, keep finding something new to slap on.)

Me and a buddy basically put a jack stand on the drive and passenger side for stability and used one jack stand in the middle to jack the motor up. The install was a PITA but we'll worth it!! It's almost never ending with these mustangs! Theres just so many mods out there that make this addicting