GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Headers

Search this Thread

Old 9/8/05, 12:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok I'm really confused here. My next mod is going to be a nice set of Headers. I have a 2005 GT cpe.
Current mods: Diablo predator
WMS RAM air intake.

I never plan on getting Blown, ( supercharged, turboed lol)

What should I go with?:::

1)Long tube headers or Short tube headers?

2)Gain differences?
3) estimate HP TQ for eachj set.?

What are the differences in gains? I think one set does more tq other more HP, I read in MMFF that the JBA lontubes did 28 to the wheels. Thats significant if you ask me. So I just want a ballpark figure where the Shorty headers stand. Thanks. Any install probs with either set?

I see that Longtubes cost almost twice what shorties do,so I just wanna compare HP to dollar. Thanks. Brandon. Any info would help.
Old 9/8/05, 12:51 AM

Also to add.

Are the brands out thier far apart in HP and TQ #'s?

Hooker/SLP/JBA/MAC, any reccomended?

Can both the shorties and Longtubes just be fitted without buying additional parts?
Old 9/8/05, 04:05 AM
Bullitt Member

I'm pretty sure that long tubes will get you more HP over the shorties along with sound, but if you want to save a few bucks go with shorties. I heard JBA and Mac make a good set of headers. If you choose long tube you will have to change or modify your stock H-pipe.(make it shorter) Where as shorties, they just hook up to stock pipe. I have a full catless x pipe on my '05 and I'll be leaning more on the side of Ford Racing's ceramic coated shorties. Just because Ford parts always seem to fit good. Good luck on what ever path you choose.
Old 9/8/05, 08:34 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Klassicyoung@September 8, 2005, 12:28 AM
What are the differences in gains? I think one set does more tq other more HP, I read in MMFF that the JBA lontubes did 28 to the wheels. Thats significant if you ask me.
Klassic,

Are you sure that wasn't the October 5.0 Mustangs and Super Fords article call "Long in the tube" (or something close to that...)? The reason ask is if so, be VERY warry of trusting that data! I could go into the full speal, but the short response is the hp for the "stock" run was under reported by 14 to 17 hp all across the board!

Remember, hp = torque * rpm / 5252. (and you can't even MEASURE hp!!!) This means that torque = hp at 5252 rpm ALWAYS. Doesn't matter what type of dyno, what brand, or what calibration. If this is off, then someone is playing games with the data.

In the case of this article, it was VERY clear that the hp was down. A quick check at the 5200 rpm values showed a huge difference between hp and torque when they should have been almost the same. That caught my eye...

So, I typed up their data columns for both "stock" and "JBA" into Excel and calculated the hp based on the reported torque and rpm. Stock was ALWAYS down at least 14 hp and as much as 17 hp at every single rpm value. Amazing enough, when I did the same for the "JBA" table, the difference between what they had posted in the table for hp and what I calculated based on torque and rpm was 0.0 hp at every single rpm point!

When I then calculated the defference between "true stock" and "JBA", I found that the JBAs were good for 10 hp peak, but were down as much as 4 hp from about 5800 rpm and up (didn't expect that!).

The other thing that REALLY caught my eye on that article was a little side note where they talked about the "bone stock" baseline run AND that they had to custom tune to get everything working with the JBAs... So. We are only seeing a 10 hp gain AND that includes a custom tune on top of the headers???? If I remember correctly, folks in this form have gottem more than that with just a custom tune!!!

Understand, I'm not trying to knock JBA or long tube headers. JBA makes a pretty fine set of tubes and I LOVE long tube headers in general (I will eventually have a set on my GT!). But this specific article is so full of holes that I wouldn't trust ANY of the data! It is REAL hard to "accidentally" throw in a 15 hp offset in a dyno run! Plus, they ended up testing two different mods and tried to call it a single mod. Normally, 5.0 does a pretty good job from what I have seen, but this article is NOT one of them!

Oh, and I did type up a very nice, very detailed email to the senior editor of 5.0. It bounced. I'll try to resend it tonight. If it bounces again, I'll post the full email on TMS so everyone can see the exact numbers I cam up with. If it doesn't bounce, I'll give them one week to reply to me. If I don't get a reply, I'll post it here. Basically, if they don't publish a correction on this article, I'll be posting that email at every Mustang forum I am a member of!