GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Header help

Search this Thread

Old 7/3/11, 11:22 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Header help

Ok so I have an 05 gt pretty much stock other then an axle back slp exhaust. I'm looking to install headers. I really like the added sound they give and the hp. I had a 94 gt with long tubes high flow cats and cutback exhaust which I installed myself and it was a pita. I really would like long tubes on my current mustang but it looks like it would be even more of a pain. Has anyone installed them theirselves? Has anyone paid to have them done? How much? I've also been toying with the idea of just doing shorty headers but I feel like they don't give as much of the sound I'm looking for. Has anyone installed shorties? How do they sound? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 7/3/11, 03:04 PM
V6 Member

I put a set of Hooker long tubes on by myself, took around 9 hours total. I ended up replacing them last winter with a set of JBA long tubes and o/r H with two of my friends, took about 5 hours total. Both times were in my garage with just the front end jacked up. Not gonna lie, it was a pain both times! It doesn't require a ton of tools, but having the right ones will make a difference!
Old 7/3/11, 04:16 PM
V6 Member

I installed BBK Long Tubes last year and Kooks Long Tubes w/ off road H pipe this spring and I will not lie, it sucked both times. I raised the engine enough to remove the engine mounts and also removed the starter and steering shaft. I am not sure if I could have done it without doing that (based on the headers I used) but I would say it was a 4 hour job. I also used the stock studs/nuts and a new set of stock gaskets as I hear they work the best. Take your time, get a helper or two and have a cooler of cold ones and crank some tunes!!!
Old 7/3/11, 05:49 PM
GT Member

I was also looking at either bbk or kooks long tubes. I had bbk long tubes on my 94 and liked them. But I hear good things about jba too. Just looking to get the most bang for the buck. I might go with bbk again.
Old 7/4/11, 02:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I installed the Mac long (mid) tubes and agree it was a PITA. Which SLPs do you have? Long tubes with the SLP LMs will be crazy loud and trumpet alot.
Old 7/4/11, 02:54 PM
GT Member

That's what I have the LM's. I had long tube bbk headers a shortie x pipe with high flow cats and a cat back slp loudmouth setup on my 94 gt and it sounded amazing. I got so many compliments and I'm looking for somewhat of the same sound. Obviously my 94 was a 5.0 so there is a difference but I love the sound of my LM's now. I think I've decided on long tubes instead of short because hey if it's gonna be a pita then I mine as well get the best thing I can right? Now just trying to decide on a brand...
Old 7/6/11, 09:25 PM
V6 Member

From what I've read, Kooks LT's put out some good #'s. Not sure about the install though.
Old 7/7/11, 08:47 PM

cost

I have a simial situation where i have a stock 06 GT. I put GTAs on it right after I got it, but now that it's got 46,00 miles I am looking to ad some HP and get a better sound. I decided that long tubes would be the way to go, (i have an appointment to get them installed next week). I'm getting the bbk long tubes installed for $450 labor, but one of the other reasons I decided to have them installed is from what i have heard you need a tune to go with them. So while they have it I want them to dyno tune it. Good luck with your decision.
Old 7/8/11, 09:49 PM
GT Member

Thanks for the info. I think I'm leaning more towards the bbk's as well. I'm gonna make a decision within the next week.(also waiting for another paycheck...lol) let me know how they sound if you get a chance. 450 isn't bad for the install I was expecting more. Although the place that I was thinking about getting it done is sorta high dollar I think. I'll have to shop around on that one
Old 7/9/11, 07:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I never put any headers on until I was pushing 650RWHP. Put the money away for SC. you don't need headers and it is easier to install makes 10 times the horse power and only cost four times as much.
Old 7/11/11, 04:10 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Jrpalmer
Thanks for the info. I think I'm leaning more towards the bbk's as well. I'm gonna make a decision within the next week.(also waiting for another paycheck...lol) let me know how they sound if you get a chance. 450 isn't bad for the install I was expecting more. Although the place that I was thinking about getting it done is sorta high dollar I think. I'll have to shop around on that one
I happen to have a brand new never installed pair of BBK stainless steel headers complete for $600. They sell as much as $799 so I am sure it's an awesome deal if your interested. Just give me a shout if so.
Old 7/13/11, 08:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My friend installed shorties and they just dont sound any diferent over stock,I went with Stainless Steel longtubes(OBX) with an off road h-pipe and with exhaust cuttouts and have heard many compliments on the sound,not raspy at all and after a Custom theres a good increase in hp.And intallation is hard on whatever header you get but I would never pay that much to get them installed,I got them in without lifting the engine.
Old 7/18/11, 06:33 PM

got car back

I got my 06 back from the shop Saturday after they installed the bbk long tubes and catted x-pipe... all I can say is "WOW".... Dude, dont hesitate on getting the long tubes, its totally worth it. You have to get a tune too, but it's worth it. I cant believe the difference.... The best way I can explain it is this... Its been over 100 degrees here for the entire month of July, but all I want to do is drive with the windows down.
Old 7/23/11, 01:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

I have got JBA ceramic coated shorties and I have to say overall they probably do not add any power.......but they sure do look a hell of lot better than those ugly OEM manifolds and they have also taken the trumpeting out of the exhaust and have smoothed/refined the exhaust tone.....which I really like. Sounds very aggressive with the Pypes off road H and Flowmaster American Thunder Classic axlebacks.