GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Hard to blip throttle on downshifts

Search this Thread

Old 4/30/05, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 05 GT with a 5 speed and notice when I'm downshifting I usually blip the throttle to match the revs. With this electronic drive by wire thing though, if I give it a quick blip when the clutch is in, its like that input is ignored. If I do it slowly and push it down further, it works, but takes to much time. Also whats with the car applying the brakes slightly in all gears but 5th when you are coasting for a while. You feel the regular engine braking, and then after about 5 seconds you can feel it applying the brakes slightly. Will a Diable tuner or the SCT one be able to elimintate these 2 oddities?
Old 4/30/05, 04:45 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm sure the SCT will do it also, but I can personally vouch for the Predator. I just installed the 91 octane tune, and man it feels like there's a cable there! I do exactly the same thing you do when downshifting, and I know what you mean by that delay. Get one of the tuners and it will disappear
Old 4/30/05, 10:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Jimmy89@April 30, 2005, 3:42 PM
...... Also whats with the car applying the brakes slightly in all gears but 5th when you are coasting for a while. You feel the regular engine braking, and then after about 5 seconds you can feel it applying the brakes slightly.......
This has got me REALLY confused..... I noticed it too. REALLY REALLY wierd.
Old 4/30/05, 10:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

I hate the throttle by wire system (see my thread about wanting to bypass it) for the reasons above as well as the feeling that you're stepping on a sponge instead of a gas pedal. If a tune will cure it, I'm in!
Old 4/30/05, 10:56 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by emperorjordan+April 30, 2005, 10:37 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(emperorjordan @ April 30, 2005, 10:37 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Jimmy89@April 30, 2005, 3:42 PM
...... Also whats with the car applying the brakes slightly in all gears but 5th when you are coasting for a while. You feel the regular engine braking, and then after about 5 seconds you can feel it applying the brakes slightly.......
[/b][/quote]

The car is not applying the brakes. It is an emissions strategy that posters on other boards and with other ford cars have also noticed. My '03 focus svt did it too. Darn annoying. It is also referred to as "hanging revs." You let off the gas, and about 3 seconds later, the car engine brakes. Or you depress the clutch, and the engine momentarily revs up slightly without you giving the throttle any input. Makes you think you are miss timing between your right and left feet, but you aren't. Since I'm not doing much with this car till FRPP has a supercharger out, I have just conformed to the car and compensated. That is what you are feeling...the car doing what you expect it to do immediatly when you let off the gas. Some how, some way, this apparently decreases emissions. The reason you don't think it is doing it in 5th is because you don't feel engine braking in 5th as easily. :notnice:
Old 4/30/05, 11:34 PM
V6 Member

I tore out my V6 predator tune and went back to stock in prep for replacing with update tune. Driving this past week (yea, it took me that long to get to it) is making me want to yell at everyone! The dreaded pedal feel is back.

Yes, the tune makes all the difference. At first I didn't think it was all 'that' but now that it's gone - it is sorely missed.

This weekend, the new version of the tune goes in, the hydro trap comes out and we'll see how she flies.

Cheers.
Peet

P.S. I bought the predator solely for the purpose of fixing the throttle lag - I may be getting a CAI sometime soon, but that's an afterthought.
Old 5/1/05, 10:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by emperorjordan+April 30, 2005, 10:37 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(emperorjordan @ April 30, 2005, 10:37 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Jimmy89@April 30, 2005, 3:42 PM
[/b][/quote]

The brakes are not being applied. After the 5 or so seconds of coasting, the throttle finally closes all the way, that is full engine braking. When you back off the throttle, the butterflies are not all the way closed so that all fuel will burn off for emissions. It is a PITA. I will get an aftermarket tune someday down the road to deal with this, right now my $$$ is in appearance upgrades to take 1st in the upcoming Mustang car shows