GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Had fun with a Corvette today!

Search this Thread

Old 9/5/07, 09:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bottom line is MSGTGT is a trouble maker!

Just kidding Dave (aren't you working at 11:37 AM?)

I bought an 06 GT Coupe because my Chevy dealer insulted me. I actually went to buy a White Vette Vert and this a-hole told me that I couldn't even sit in it unless I showed him my checkbook. So, I bought my Perf. White GT and then traded my Silverado in on a Redfire Vert for the wife. We went back to the dealer and showed the sales manager our new cars his sales guy helped us decide on.

My folks have a sweet 2000 Vette with all the HUD, 6-spd, tuneable suspension and I drove it. I actually was bored with it until about 140mph and then it started to get thrilling (at which point I could have gone to jail). Yeah the thing is fast, but it is boring in day-to-day. I actually think the Miata is a great daily "sportscar" as it requires heavy use of the manual tranny to get to 40mph. That's thrilling and won't get you in trouble.

The Mustang just makes sense for an around performance car for the street. I tracked mine once and found out it isn't necessarily a track car. I also realized by watching others slam "track cars" into the wall that I'm not a "track guy". I'm sure anything can turn into what you want it to be, but out of the box the S197 is a great muscle cruiser.

I truly enjoy this site and although I have my car set up for me and what my budget can afford, I can honestly say I would trade some of you in a second. My vision led to my car, but everyone has a different idea and that is what allows the Mustang to be the great platform it has for over 40 years.
Old 9/5/07, 10:14 PM
Bullitt Member

My 2 cents worth from having owned 3 Corvettes and still owning the first one I bought. All 3 have increased in value....why?? Because I didn't buy them brand new and I new what I was buying.

Why did I buy a Mustang?? You can't beat the bang for the buck!!! I learned how to drive on a '69 Stang and my first new car was a Mustang. I love the styling, I get more looks and compliments than I do with the Vette, and I get 85% of the performance of a new Vette for half the price. I'll probably always be a Corvette owner, but like they say, you never forget your first love.

Miles driven on the Corvette this year - 232
Miles driven on the Mustang this year - 3,000+
Having a big-*** grin from ear to ear as I drive with the top down shifting through the gears - priceless

You be the judge on which I prefer to drive.
Old 9/6/07, 02:54 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by PACETTR
HUD and MRC are your motivation to purchase a sports car? The 08 Mustang has Ambient Lighting and MyColor...does the Vette?
Please...
I didn't bother with the shoddy IUP for my 07 GT so I don't care for the MyColor. The Ambient Lighting is also a joke. The reflector optics on the 08 GT's HIDs are also kind of crummy since you lose a lot of light output this way compared to using an aspherical lens in a projector assembly like almost every other manufacturer.

A lot of German cars don't even have HUDs or a built-in G-meter. The Magnetic Ride shocks are pretty nifty since they are controlled by a suspension computer and adjust automatically to the road conditions.

These 2 options alone don't make the Vette great, but they certainly complement its other winning features. The GT is a great cheap performance car but it isn't in the same league as a Vette.
Old 9/6/07, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by metroplex
The GT is a great cheap performance car but it isn't in the same league as a Vette.
I don't think anyone was saying that. People like what they like, it's their preference. I've got many friends and relatives with newer Vettes, they all tell me I hear more compliments on my Mustang than they do on their cars.

My F-150 doesn't handle as well as my Mustang, they're not in the same class. Just like the Vette and Mustang.
It's my opinion, flame on!
Old 9/6/07, 02:56 PM
Cobra R Member

I'm always amused when I hear the "investment" argument. Who gives a crap!?!

I think most of us are on this forum because we are car guys (and gals), and I personally could care less about resale value. Cars are about fun for me. The Vette is a great car, and I'd love a Z06 someday, but my Mustang is hella fun! For the initial cost, it's not even fair to compare the two! I mean, for the price difference, you could have a Mustang GT AND a Harley Davidson in your garage!
Old 9/6/07, 07:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Rebel73

I think most of us are on this forum because we are car guys (and gals), and I personally could care less about resale value. Cars are about fun for me. The Vette is a great car, and I'd love a Z06 someday, but my Mustang is hella fun! For the initial cost, it's not even fair to compare the two! I mean, for the price difference, you could have a Mustang GT AND a Harley Davidson in your garage!
Old 9/6/07, 09:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
A lot of German cars don't even have HUDs
That's because HUDs are lame, I've been annoyed by it on every car I've driven with it.

The GT is a great cheap performance car but it isn't in the same league as a Vette.
That's what everyone's been trying to tell you. The fact that a Mustang with mods could compete and even win a heads up race with a new Vette is what's great about this car.

You're pining for a $50K Vette but you didn't even get IUP on your Stang.
Old 9/7/07, 02:51 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
The HUD prevents me from having to look down to keep an eye on the speedometer and tach. It's light-years ahead of an IUP that gives you 2 dummy gauges, MyColor, and chrome.
Old 9/7/07, 05:02 AM

The HUD prevents me from having to look down to keep an eye on the speedometer and tach. It's light-years ahead of an IUP that gives you 2 dummy gauges, MyColor, and chrome.
I don't feel the need to keep an eye on my speedometer and tach. If I want to know my RPMs, I turn down the radio or grab hold of my stick.
Old 9/7/07, 11:08 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rebel73

I'm with Rob