GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

H to X to H

Search this Thread

Old 11/24/06, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
H to X to H

I cut out my factory H-pipe to install the Bassani X-Pipe (short). The problem is I hate the way it sounds So how does one go about getting an H put back in? The dealer won't touch it unless they do the whole system from the manifolds back. I could not believe the cost..at least 3k I have a WTB post in the Marketplace for an H-pipe that someone else cut out but I am not sure now if that will exactly work. Will I have to get one fabricated for my car and does anyone know how much that may run? Or can one I find simply be hooked back in place. I need the most cost effective route to take or my mod buying days are numbered. Any guidance is appreciated.

Thanks
Old 11/24/06, 04:44 PM
Team Mustang Source

Well, I wish that I could help you by selling you my H-section, but I sold mine to a V-6 fellow in Wash. state. If you could find one that someone cut from theirs, that would be the cheapest way most likely, just remember that you'll probably need one cut for a Bassanni pipe unless the others are about the same. You could use some common muffler adapters to re-attach the section with clamps.
Old 11/24/06, 05:15 PM

Thanks for the input. Yeah, nobody seems to have their H-pipes anymore. I threw mine away like a moron. Would it be expensive to have an exhaust shop put one in because I don't think I am going to have any luck finding a factory piece.
Old 11/24/06, 05:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would think an exhaust shop could fab you one up and install it for $100 or less. You are pretty much paying only labor costs since you don't need much tubing.
Old 11/24/06, 05:31 PM

X Pipe

Where do you live Maryland?
Im in NJ 08406
I just took one off my car
I just put on SLP L/Ts and catted xpipe
Ill trade you for yours even up but you gotta come get it
I will need your pipes in case I want to go back to stock or sell my car
email me if you are intrested @
flounderlipps@hotmail.com
Old 11/24/06, 05:49 PM

Shatter, I hope you are right. I am going to check it out. I guess I am the only one that doesn't appreciate the "exotic" sound given to the Mustang by putting an X-pipe in. Flounderlipps, thanks for the offer. I really appreciate it. Let me see how much it will be to fabricate one first. If it is high, then the 4 hour trip may be worth it.

Btw, anyone know anything about the H pipe cross over tube so I know it is done right. Is it the same diameter (2.5") as the long pipes? Does it have to be in that exact spot like the factory? If I go this route, I just to make sure it is done right so I can be done with this chapter in my car's history.
Old 11/25/06, 01:21 AM
Legacy TMS Member

How much is the factory H with cats? I have mine sitting in my shed and didn't even think about selling it 'till now.
Old 11/25/06, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by scramblr
How much is the factory H with cats? I have mine sitting in my shed and didn't even think about selling it 'till now.
Here is as far as I got with the dealer pricing before I fainted:

1) Cat with H- 732.00
2) Muffler - 240.00 (each)
3) Mid pipe - 102.00 (each)

That's as far as I got until I woke up on the floor. However, the going rate for the mufflers appears to be 50.00 (pair) while the h-pipe w/cats about a hundred (ebay). I lost the bid with 3 seconds left
Old 11/25/06, 11:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

[quote=MD05GT;786811]Shatter, I hope you are right. I am going to check it out. I guess I am the only one that doesn't appreciate the "exotic" sound given to the Mustang by putting an X-pipe in. quote]

No you're not. I am going thru a similar problem. I installed the Bassani axle-backs and liked the sound so I went with the catted x-pipe. It was loud but I was not impressed with the sound. I bought the FRPP x-pipe and GTA mufflers. So far I have only installed the GTA's and I am a bit happier. After I re-install my C&L this weekend, if I am not totally impressed, I will install the FRPP x-pipe and see what happens. One thing I must mention, there are loads of sound slips out there but it is hard to get a true feel for how a system sounds unless you hear it in person.
Old 11/25/06, 11:24 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by hiznherponies
Well, I wish that I could help you by selling you my H-section, but I sold mine to a V-6 fellow in Wash. state. If you could find one that someone cut from theirs, that would be the cheapest way most likely, just remember that you'll probably need one cut for a Bassanni pipe unless the others are about the same. You could use some common muffler adapters to re-attach the section with clamps.

You might try a Mac Direct Fit Prochamber in place of your x - pipe. I believe where you have to cut you stock h-pipe is farther toward the front of the car with the Prochamber than the Bassani X-pipe. It will cost you $299.00 plus shipping. The sound is very much the same as the stock H-pipe but a little deeper and smoother.
Scott
Old 11/25/06, 09:19 PM

No you're not. I am going thru a similar problem. I installed the Bassani axle-backs and liked the sound so I went with the catted x-pipe. It was loud but I was not impressed with the sound. I bought the FRPP x-pipe and GTA mufflers. So far I have only installed the GTA's and I am a bit happier. After I re-install my C&L this weekend, if I am not totally impressed, I will install the FRPP x-pipe and see what happens. One thing I must mention, there are loads of sound slips out there but it is hard to get a true feel for how a system sounds unless you hear it in person.[/quote]

I have the Bassani axle backs as well and they are coming off too. You are right about the soundclips..that's why I went with Bassani in the first place. I listened to a bunch of clips and fell in love with the sound...just not my cup of tea in person. I was lucky enough to get someone's stock mufflers and now am just waiting eagerly for an h-pipe to come through. I would love the GTAs but I need to replace another mistake (shifter) I made first. I am spending more money on my car making it stock rather than getting anywhere with mods . Oh well live and learn I say.
Old 11/25/06, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
You might try a Mac Direct Fit Prochamber in place of your x - pipe. I believe where you have to cut you stock h-pipe is farther toward the front of the car with the Prochamber than the Bassani X-pipe. It will cost you $299.00 plus shipping. The sound is very much the same as the stock H-pipe but a little deeper and smoother.
Scott
Hmmmm...I will definitely heep this in mind, thanks. Someone may be cutting there H-pipe to install an X so I may luck out there . You lost me on the cut description...does this mean it will fill the void better or worse? And will it give me the burble instead of the jetski sound?
Old 11/26/06, 03:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MD05GT
Hmmmm...I will definitely heep this in mind, thanks. Someone may be cutting there H-pipe to install an X so I may luck out there . You lost me on the cut description...does this mean it will fill the void better or worse? And will it give me the burble instead of the jetski sound?
I believe it will fit the void better. Meaning you may need to cut a little bit more off of your stock h-pipe to fit. It will give you back the burble. Didn't mean to confuse.
Scott
Old 11/26/06, 05:34 AM

Frpp-gta

Originally Posted by MD05GT
No you're not. I am going thru a similar problem. I installed the Bassani axle-backs and liked the sound so I went with the catted x-pipe. It was loud but I was not impressed with the sound. I bought the FRPP x-pipe and GTA mufflers. So far I have only installed the GTA's and I am a bit happier. After I re-install my C&L this weekend, if I am not totally impressed, I will install the FRPP x-pipe and see what happens. One thing I must mention, there are loads of sound slips out there but it is hard to get a true feel for how a system sounds unless you hear it in person.
I have the Bassani axle backs as well and they are coming off too. You are right about the soundclips..that's why I went with Bassani in the first place. I listened to a bunch of clips and fell in love with the sound...just not my cup of tea in person. I was lucky enough to get someone's stock mufflers and now am just waiting eagerly for an h-pipe to come through. I would love the GTAs but I need to replace another mistake (shifter) I made first. I am spending more money on my car making it stock rather than getting anywhere with mods . Oh well live and learn I say.[/quote]
Hi MD05GT
If you decide to come up and trade for my h pipe I have a pair of
M-5230-GTA FRPP Mufflers NEW in BOX Ill sell you for $250.00
(Im not going to put them on cause with the L/Ts and catted xpipe I think my car is loud enough) I want a chick magnet not a cop magnet
email if you are intrested
flounderlipps@hotmail.com
Old 11/26/06, 09:00 AM
Team Mustang Source

Don't take of the x-pipe just add in a couple of resonators between them and the mufflers deepens and smooths out the sound. There was a thread on this somewhere I'll see if I can find it.