GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Gutting mac catted prochamber vs O/R prochamber

Search this Thread

Old 9/5/17, 08:23 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,957 Likes on 1,584 Posts
Gutting mac catted prochamber vs O/R prochamber

I'm debating installing an old mac catted prochamber in which I recently gutted out the cats.. My reason for gutting them, is I don't want to risk causing possible damages by running ceramic cored cats with FI..

I'm not really looking for any substantial power gains, but rather looking to reduce cabin drone from my Borla Stingers.. Anyhow I've read quite a few posts from previous threads claiming that running an O/R prochamber works really well for reducing the amount of resonance drone..

Currently I'm running the stock catted mid pipe with the Borla S type (stingers) but the resonance drone is horrible between 1500-2000 RPM in both 3rd and 4th gears around town at 25-50 MPH..

So my questions are this.. Will the sound of running a gutted catted prochamber produce any resonance drone from the larger opening inside the shell of the gutted cats or will the sound be similar to running an O/R prochamber that doesn't include cats ?

In the meantime, any type of feedback and support will be really appreciated..

-Rocky..
Old 10/8/17, 11:20 AM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Rocky,
The Borla Stingers are the source of your drone issue. I'm not sure what you can do to tune it out. Maybe a pair of X-crossovers or something weird like that. But my FR500S/GT500KR mufflers are drone free even when I ran an off-road X-Pipe.
Old 10/8/17, 05:14 PM

Charlie, I was actually considering the FR500S for that very reason.. However what turned me away from them, is I don't like how low they hang below the stock GT valence cutouts.. What also turned me away was they're only available in 409 grade SS and FPP also does not offer any type of warranty for them.. So in the end, I went with the Borla stingers instead in which I paid only $438.00 from Stage 3 motorsports which include Borla's full million mile warranty and 304 grade SS..

As for the drone issue, it was actually far worse when running the stock catted mid pipe compared to running my O/R prochamber with no cats at all, but there's still never the less a good amount of drone still there, so eventually I'll be looking into adding either Magnaflow or Thunderbolt high-flow cats along with a pair of Vibrant 1793 resonators and hopefully that will at least help in reducing the amount of drone to where it's more tolerable..

What I should had done was get the Borla ATAK axle back instead.. I finally got a chance to listen to them on a 2008 Shelby GT at a local car cruise and asked the owner if he experienced any drone to them and he claims that with the stock catted mid pipe in place, he doesn't notice any drone with the Borla ATAKS at all..

I also noticed they're not really so loud at idle or at part throttle from the outside of the car, but when you get on them, is when they really come alive and roar lol.

Oh well, as the saying goes.. Lesson learned

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 10/8/17 at 05:16 PM.
Old 10/8/17, 05:36 PM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I've had my FR500S's for 5 years and they are rust free. The 409 SS is the same stuff they use on your mid-pipes, over axle pipes, stock cats, etc... and they last pretty much forever. My 00 Crown Vic is daily driven in salted winters and the stock factory H-pipe is still good.

The more I listen to the ATAK and my FR500S/GT500KR, I think the FR500S are the ATAKs, or at least the pre-cursor to ATAKs since they didn't have the brand back in 2007/2008.

I have the GT500 rear bumper, and the FR500S's fit nicely into the valence. I had to adjust the hanger on one, but I think it is an issue on a lot of the early GTs. I'm not a fan of the tips but they are supposed to be the same ones used on the Bullitt. They just stick out from the bumper more than I'd like but not bad looking.
Old 10/8/17, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by metroplex
I've had my FR500S's for 5 years and they are rust free. The 409 SS is the same stuff they use on your mid-pipes, over axle pipes, stock cats, etc... and they last pretty much forever. My 00 Crown Vic is daily driven in salted winters and the stock factory H-pipe is still good.

The more I listen to the ATAK and my FR500S/GT500KR, I think the FR500S are the ATAKs, or at least the pre-cursor to ATAKs since they didn't have the brand back in 2007/2008.

I have the GT500 rear bumper, and the FR500S's fit nicely into the valence. I had to adjust the hanger on one, but I think it is an issue on a lot of the early GTs. I'm not a fan of the tips but they are supposed to be the same ones used on the Bullitt. They just stick out from the bumper more than I'd like but not bad looking.
Your right Charlie, as the stock cats, mid and over the axle pipes are all made from 409 grade SS and practically last forever just like you said..

I also agree about the ATAKs and FR500S being very similar to one another as far as sound goes.. IIRC the FR500S have a straight thru perforated core that also includes an internal open chamber design with resonated tips where as the Borla ATAK uses a multi core, straight thru design..

IMO FPP did such an outstanding job with the design of the FR500S/GT500KR mufflers, no doubt about it.. At any rate, I'm hoping that by adding high-flow cats and possibly Vibrant resonators will help reduce the drone from the Borla stingers, as I really do like the overall sound they produce.. Guess only time will tell