GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Gutted my cats.....

Search this Thread

Old 2/22/05, 07:12 PM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I plan on doing it this weekend... I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 2/22/05, 08:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Dude, I would so love to gut my mom's cats. Don't think that would go over so well though!
Old 2/22/05, 11:40 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by acadian@February 21, 2005, 6:53 PM
You won't have to replace them with stock. I live in Louisiana where are no emissions testing and was thinking about doing this... if there are ever tests, then you can easily buy an aftermarket catted X or H pipe for 2 or 3 hundred bucks. You'd have to spend that much to get an off-road mid pipe anyway. So, it's not too bad of an idea. I think thouhg, after plenty of thought, that I'll actually be patient for once and wait until Magnaflow comes out with their off-road x-pipe, or spend the money on a MAC pro-chamber off-road. That way, I'll have the stock one to throw on in case.
i think for some states you would have to replace them with stock cats.
Old 2/22/05, 11:53 PM
FR500 Member

[quote=zinn,February 22, 2005, 10:43 PM]
Originally Posted by acadian,February 21, 2005, 6:53 PM
You won't have to replace them with stock. I live in Louisiana where are no emissions testing and was thinking about doing this... if there are ever tests, then you can easily buy an aftermarket catted X or H pipe for 2 or 3 hundred bucks. You'd have to spend that much to get an off-road mid pipe anyway. So, it's not too bad of an idea. I think thouhg, after plenty of thought, that I'll actually be patient for once and wait until Magnaflow comes out with their off-road x-pipe, or spend the money on a MAC pro-chamber off-road. That way, I'll have the stock one to throw on in case.
i think for some states you would have to replace them with stock cats.

Yeah, if you were "forced" to put cats back on before the car is five years old or has 50,000 miles on it, you will prolly have to put the stock ones back on....may be best to error on the side of caution, money wise.
Old 2/23/05, 02:39 PM
Banned

It doesn't matter to the state what kind of cats you have on your car (if your state checks emissions), it only matters if you car passes the test....and w/out cats it is highly unlikely, this mod isn't for those who live in areas that have emission tests!!!
Old 2/23/05, 09:56 PM
Banned

alright service engine light has finally come on, but still no difference in noticeable power/mpg.
will take care of w/ a re-flash soon.
Old 2/24/05, 11:10 AM
FR500 Member

So, when you flash the computer, what do you basically tell it? That you have no cats? And do you think once you reflash, you'll get more power?
Old 2/24/05, 02:20 PM
Banned

once you reflash it, it tells the computer to disregard the rear O2 sensors, which in turn makes the computer think everything is OK...so the computer isn't trying to balance out the mixture to compensate for the rear O2 sensors readings.
Old 2/27/05, 01:02 PM
FR500 Member

I gutted out my cats yesterday. I love the sound... definitely a lot louder and has a deeper growl. Only bad thing would be the smell. The exhaust smell is a good bit worse. But no regrets. Sounds so much better and it has to add at least 5 HP even though I can't really feel a difference. Especially once I tell the computer that I don't have cats.
Old 2/27/05, 01:55 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If my understanding is correct (This IS a new ECU after all!), the computer does NOT make any adjustments based on the rear O2 sensors readings. None. All it does is use the rear O2 sensors to verify that the cat is doing it's job and cleaning up the exhaust like it should. All the vehicle fueling adjustments are made based on the front sensors only. The only this that happens when the ECU is unhappy with the rear readings is it sets a code and turns on the "check engine" light for you. But turning them off completely is still the way to go...
Old 2/27/05, 02:25 PM
Bullitt Member

I think I would pop for the bassain low restriction cats.No need to put all that crap in the air.
Old 2/27/05, 02:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by RRRoamer@February 27, 2005, 3:58 PM
If my understanding is correct (This IS a new ECU after all!), the computer does NOT make any adjustments based on the rear O2 sensors readings. None. All it does is use the rear O2 sensors to verify that the cat is doing it's job and cleaning up the exhaust like it should. All the vehicle fueling adjustments are made based on the front sensors only. The only this that happens when the ECU is unhappy with the rear readings is it sets a code and turns on the "check engine" light for you. But turning them off completely is still the way to go...
You are correct sir!
Old 2/27/05, 05:56 PM
FR500 Member

As long as only a few of us do it, it's not that bad for the environment. So few people are going to actually go to all the trouble to hollow out their stock cats (which by the way, is the exact same thing as getting an off-road mid-pipe). High flow cats will get you more airflow and a better sound, but there's no sound like having no cats at all. I would go as far as to say it is twice as loud as with my Magnaflows (not the packs) before gutting the cats. It sounds like I put long-tube headers on. This is how a Mustang should sound. In a couple years when I get some new headers, this car will sound really mean.
Old 2/27/05, 06:28 PM

can you guys answer me a few ?s please....i just ordered the magnaflow cat back system today...i was going to order the magnaflow thru-x hi flow x pipe....will i get any kind of check engine light...will my 02 senors hook up to my new exhaust sytem...will any kind of problems show up at all....in ohio there is emision testing every 2 years...hopefully in 2 years i will not have to put the old system back on to pass my e-check...thanks
jerry
Old 2/27/05, 08:00 PM
FR500 Member

You shouldn't have any problems with the computer if you install an x-pipe with high flow cats. It should come with the bungs to hook your o2 sensors into and the computer should recognize them. I think you'll be fine. I'm sure my check engine light will be coming on soon because I don' have cats at all. You will probably have to put your stock mid-pipe back on every year for testing though.
Old 2/28/05, 03:47 PM
Banned

Good to hear someone else is brave enough to start modding the mustang and save some money at the same time...(Acadian)
-It wasn't that hard, was it? and saved probably $200+
Old 2/28/05, 09:06 PM
FR500 Member

My only problem was not having long enough needle-nose plyers to get the wire mesh out of the cats. I rigged up a metal skewer, bent the tip into a curve, and yanked it out. So, it probably took me a bit longer than you, but not more than an hour and a half or so. Well worth the money I saved. And I am now driving around with the radio off... I love the sound of the exhaust. Thanks again!
Old 2/28/05, 09:09 PM
Banned

Yeah, I know the feeling about turning down the radio and riding w/ the windows down. I noticed my mpg dropped to, but it wasn't from the hollowed out cats, just from my foot pressing on the pedal a little harder every shift...LOL.
Old 2/28/05, 09:10 PM
Banned

I can't tell you how many people have stopped me in parking lots, and been like "darn, is that the way they sound from the factory? That's how a Mustang should sound." From teenagers to older men.
Old 2/28/05, 09:39 PM
FR500 Member

You definitely get more heads turning from people who just hear the rumble of the car when you accelerate. I've definitely been hitting the pedal a lot more after gutting the cats. Hopefully, I'll get back to normal driving soon.

Quick Reply: Gutted my cats.....