GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Guage Install Question

Search this Thread

Old 3/9/05, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys need a little help; I had ordered my GT with out the all the optional gauges cause i knew i would install true aftermarket guages later. I just need a little tech help on where the sensors are the the 4.6 motor. For the Water temp , Oil Pressure, and volt . I am used to the 5 lilter motors
thanks in advance
MB
Old 3/9/05, 08:33 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by fordpower@March 9, 2005, 7:21 PM
Guys need a little help; I had ordered my GT with out the all the optional gauges cause i knew i would install true aftermarket guages later. I just need a little tech help on where the sensors are the the 4.6 motor. For the Water temp , Oil Pressure, and volt . I am used to the 5 lilter motors
thanks in advance
MB
Why not buy one of the optional dashes with the extra guages and install that? The wiring is already present. All you need the dash and the switches for the info center. The dash is avalible from ford for about $370 and the switches are about $50 (you can get the swiches from Kevin on this board. See the dash retrofit link below. Kevin is the thread starter just email him). Alternatively, if your dealer is okay with it you can order the dash for about $210 plus shiping here.

http://www.parts.com/partlocator/index.cfm...005&catalogid=1

It's expensive, but looks like it came that way. If you do this you get the info center and the my color.

The only drawback is that the milage has to be programed in at the dash center. So you will have to leave your car with the dealer for a few days. The dashes are shipped next day or second day.

Check out this thread.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=15841
Old 3/10/05, 05:35 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Heath, with all due respect, and this has been discussed at length on here before, he's looking for true gauges that actually have numbers and move dynamically as the conditions of the engine change.
MB, for the water temp gauge, there is a bung on the top of the intake right near the thermostat. Almost like Ford knew we'd want a real gauge and made it easy for us! I haven't taken the plug out or anything, but from the looks of it, it's threaded and would accept a sensor for your mechanical or electrical gauge.
For the oil pressure, I'll check next oil change (or someone else can who will be under the front of the car) but there should be a bung near the filter. My 96GT had a bung right near the filter, and the factory "gauge" sensor was in there. I removed the sensor, and threaded in a braided stainless steel line (I had mechanical gauges on the 96). To keep the factory "gauge" from reading 0, I simply grounded the wire.

Good luck and keep us informed. Once Autometer shows us pics of either a pillar pod or a pod to go between the steering wheel and main bezel, I'll be installing electrical water temp and oil pressure gauges as well.

I've attached a pic of where the sensor for the water temp gauge could go.
Old 3/10/05, 06:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by MTAS@March 10, 2005, 6:38 AM
Heath, with all due respect, and this has been discussed at length on here before, he's looking for true gauges that actually have numbers and move dynamically as the conditions of the engine change.
MB, for the water temp gauge, there is a bung on the top of the intake right near the thermostat. Almost like Ford knew we'd want a real gauge and made it easy for us! I haven't taken the plug out or anything, but from the looks of it, it's threaded and would accept a sensor for your mechanical or electrical gauge.
For the oil pressure, I'll check next oil change (or someone else can who will be under the front of the car) but there should be a bung near the filter. My 96GT had a bung right near the filter, and the factory "gauge" sensor was in there. I removed the sensor, and threaded in a braided stainless steel line (I had mechanical gauges on the 96). To keep the factory "gauge" from reading 0, I simply grounded the wire.

I've attached a pic of where the sensor for the water temp gauge could go.
Thanks. I am looking at doing the same - oil and water gauges. I read in one article that Ford states the 'oil pressure' gauge in the GT is really an 'oil level' gauge - just tells you if there is enough oil in the car, not the pressure.
Old 3/10/05, 04:42 PM

thanks guys very good info i do appreciate it
Mike
Old 3/10/05, 06:44 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Montrose@March 10, 2005, 8:16 AM
Thanks. I am looking at doing the same - oil and water gauges. I read in one article that Ford states the 'oil pressure' gauge in the GT is really an 'oil level' gauge - just tells you if there is enough oil in the car, not the pressure.
I read a magazine article that claimed the same thing .. that it indicates 'oil level', not 'oil pressure'. I think the magazine is mistaken. The owners manual states 'oil pressure' which is much more conventional for a gauge like that. But then again .. I did not design and build the car .. so who knows ?
Old 3/10/05, 06:49 PM
Team Mustang Source

The factory oil pressure "gauge" is a dummy switch that reads fat dumb and happy with anything above 6psi or so.
Old 3/10/05, 07:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by MTAS@March 10, 2005, 7:52 PM
The factory oil pressure "gauge" is a dummy switch that reads fat dumb and happy with anything above 6psi or so.
I think you're right. It does not function as a real oil pressure gauge does - high on startup and then lower when the engine warms up. This one just gradually increases after the engine is started. This has been discussed before here, and the conclusion was that it is not a 'real' oil pressure gauge, more an idiot light in disguise.
Old 3/13/05, 06:53 PM
Team Mustang Source

Hey gang, here's the spot where the oil pressure sending unit (for an electrical gauge) or a braided steel line (for a mechanical gauge) would go:
Old 3/13/05, 06:55 PM
Team Mustang Source

And here's a close up. You'd have to install the sensor or braided line while you're changing the oil, because when you unscrew the factory sensor, oil will come out And the factory sensor? Cut the wire and ground it to keep the factory idiot gauge happy.