GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

GT500 Brake Kit

Search this Thread

Old 2/24/07, 12:12 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GT500 Brake Kit

I've been deciding what direction I should take in regards to my brake system. Currently the best option IMHO (performance wise) is the GT500 kit. I have one issue with this kit though, you cannot run 17" rims. I know that the CTR 18X9" wheels work with this kit, which would be my summer option. For winter, I need to run 17's and winter tires. Has anyone tried to run the OEM 17"s with a 1" spacer? I thought someone on here installed the kit with the OEM 18 X 8" wheels with a 1" spacer. I guess my question would be is it a height issue or backspacing issue. If the 14" disc fit under the wheels, a spacer is all that's needed.

Jason
Old 2/24/07, 06:27 PM
Bullitt Member

I have the gt500 kit and did not install it yet, BUT I spent a day doing fitment testing with spacers and such.

First off, there is NO way IMO a 17" wheel is going to fit over the brembos or stoptech 14" kits. Not enough radial clearance. I am basing this off the fact that the 18" wheels do not clear by all that much radially. I do not have 17" wheels to try though.

I have the factory 18x8.5" bullitts. They require a 1" spacer to have enough face clearance. To install the spacers, you have to trim the front wheel stud tips approx 1/8" to not hit the wheels when they stick through the H&R spacer as much. They can stick through, but even with the pockets on the wheels they are a little close.

Also, I was a little worried about the appearance of how the wheels look sticking out so far. The tire bulge ends up being dead even with the outer fender lip. I am still up in the air about the appearance of that. But it looks no different than most of the aftermarket bullitts. I think if the car was lower, it might look a little better. After I lower it in a couple weeks, I am going to play with the brake fitment again.

As a side note, the stoptech kit requres approximatly 1/2" less face clearance to the wheel as they move the rotor inboard 1/2". There are non deep dish front bullitts that allegidly fit with no spacer with the stoptech. But, the GT500 brakes would still need a spacer, and they would really be sticking out at that point.
Old 2/24/07, 09:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Would the GT500 calipers work with the StopTech 14" replacement rotors (ie Stage II kit)?
Class J why do you have both?
Old 2/24/07, 09:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I believe one other consideration is the ABS calibration being different between the GT and GT500 systems. I believe there were other threads here that described this when people were looking early in the GT500 production cycle to get the parts from 05stangkc.
Old 2/24/07, 10:09 PM
Bullitt Member

I dont have both. I have the gt500 brembo system. But I took very good measurements off the gt500 kit. It matches the aftermarket brembo kits dimensions exactly. And looking at the measurments/fitment guide from stoptech, you can see the differences.

The Gt500 calipers will only work with the factory brembo or aftermarket brembo rotors (I believe).

As far as the ABS. I believe the differences are mainly because the GT500 has 500 lbs added to its nose. The brake booster is actually different too.

But FRPP sells the gt500 kit and makes no comments about it. And many have used the kit with success.
Old 2/24/07, 10:18 PM
Bullitt Member

I dont have both. I have the gt500 brembo system. But I took very good measurements off the gt500 kit. It matches the aftermarket brembo kits dimensions exactly. And looking at the measurments/fitment guide from stoptech, you can see the differences.

The Gt500 calipers will only work with the factory brembo or aftermarket brembo rotors (I believe).

As far as the ABS. I believe the differences are mainly because the GT500 has 500 lbs added to its nose. The brake booster is actually different too.

But FRPP sells the gt500 kit and makes no comments about it. And many have used the kit with success.
Old 2/28/07, 04:04 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by classj

j - have you got any pics? I have both the GT500 brake upgrade, 18" bullitts (with spacers) and a set of GT500 wheels! But the brakes/GT500 wheels are not fitted yet.

I love the Bullitts, but know they won't fit with the brakes unless I use the spacers - not sure how that will look.

I got a mega deal on the GT500 wheels just in case the Bullitts don't look 'right' - but would love to see them with the brakes fitted.

Can you post some pics?

Thx