GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information
View Poll Results: GT Owners! Satisfied with Factory Suspension?
Yes
53.33%
No
46.67%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

GT owners ! Satisfied with Factory Suspesion?

Search this Thread

Old 1/14/07, 03:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it's pretty good. I don't do alot of hardcore driving, but my previous car (86 Iroc) which was supposed to have pretty decent suspension, feels looser than my 06 GT. I like the suspension, it's great for a daily car. For racing, yea it's probably not tops, but if you want to race you upgrade all that stuff anyway.
Old 1/15/07, 12:07 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by HOTLAP
Ah....but it's a real pain to lower the top on the coupe , seriously though, do you know for a fact that the convertible has a different suspension than the coupe....I had never heard that - but it does feel softer than my '05 coupe was
Yup, the convertible GT has softer springs and a smaller rear sway bar according to this document from Ford (page 12 of 37).

I started to put together a table to compare the suspension tuning between the different models here.
Old 1/15/07, 06:28 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Vermillion06
Yup, the convertible GT has softer springs and a smaller rear sway bar according to this document from Ford (page 12 of 37).

I started to put together a table to compare the suspension tuning between the different models here.
Is the V6 pony pkg. the same as the GT ?
Old 1/15/07, 09:49 PM
Meet Krissy, Our Star Racer

I voted NO.

It's all relative really, but my comparison base is more German Cars rather then older Muscle cars. Look at something like the new GTI - almost everything about it handles better to me. Ok ok, IRS and FWD but still. The stock ride height is like a 4x4 pick up, wheel hop is . However, I will say that I was pleasantly surprised with the amount of body roll in turns when I first picked up the car. So for that, go Ford! haha...

Actually you know what suspension really impressed me was Magnetic Ride Control from GM - got a chance to test it out while driving a Cadillac STS-V and I was blown away with how smooth yet responsive it was. But hey, that car is like 3 times the price of our Mustangs!!
Old 1/15/07, 10:20 PM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,792 Posts
Hey there Kristina ? sorry for being off topic but haven't noticed you around in awhile and was curious if you ever got the opportunity in upgrading to the Steeda inlet elbow yet ? and if you did, have you noticed any improvements in throttle response ?
Old 1/16/07, 04:32 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Hey there Kristina ? sorry for being off topic but haven't noticed you around in awhile and was curious if you ever got the opportunity in upgrading to the Steeda inlet elbow yet ? and if you did, have you noticed any improvements in throttle response ?
Your a bird dog Rocky!!.........
Old 1/16/07, 06:52 PM
Meet Krissy, Our Star Racer

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Hi Rocky!

Sorry, yes i have been off the boards for a little while. Just got really busy with everything and this place makes me want to spend money like it's going out of style. On that note I'm totally broke right now so I haven't done the new elbow, but I was actually thinking about it just a couple of days ago! I think come the spring it'll be something I'll look at, though I think I'd rather get spacers for the rear (to even up to the front on account of the GT500 brakes) and some suspension bits.

Car is in storage right now - I'll be sure to post if I do pick one up.

I miss my car!!
Old 1/17/07, 01:50 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by karman
I'd like to know that too. I've read conflicting info on the V6 Pony package, some articles say it has stiffer springs and the rear sway bar added, but don't mention the spring rates; other articles just say it has the rear sway bar added.

Whether the springs and sway bars are the same as the GT Does anyone know for sure or has seen an article or document that would tell us?
Old 1/17/07, 02:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

I voted no. For starters I would like a car with a level stance, no raised look in the back. The rear springs need to be 1 inch lower and 20% stiffer. The shocks need a quicker rebound.
Old 1/17/07, 05:34 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The factory suspension on my car was only on for about 10 miles, I had the dealer install the FRPP Handling Pack upon delivery

She handles the road course quite well, now

Plus, the look and ride height are MUCH improved over stock, no more 4x4 look!
Old 1/17/07, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by blkstang06
Your a bird dog Rocky!!.........
yep, that's me..ruff ruff ruff
Old 1/17/07, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Rondosa
Hi Rocky!

Sorry, yes i have been off the boards for a little while. Just got really busy with everything and this place makes me want to spend money like it's going out of style. On that note I'm totally broke right now so I haven't done the new elbow, but I was actually thinking about it just a couple of days ago! I think come the spring it'll be something I'll look at, though I think I'd rather get spacers for the rear (to even up to the front on account of the GT500 brakes) and some suspension bits.

Car is in storage right now - I'll be sure to post if I do pick one up.

I miss my car!!
I know exactly where your coming from and once this place hooks you ? you're always looking to spend that money on mods that you really don't need but you still have just to satisfy that inner craving which says over and over again BUY ME lol. I'm not quite sure if it's an addiction or an obsession and who knows ? maybe even bothwhich sucks even more when your broke and especially that much more knowing that you can't drive your car thanks to our lovely east coast weather and like you ? my car's also in storage as well for the winter except for tomorrow when the Stang get's dyno tested but afterwards ? it goes right back into the garage until April..
Old 1/19/07, 05:30 AM
Bullitt Member

The Gt's factory struts and shocks are Sorry Ford, I know you were trying to keep manufacturing cost down.

I had the new Steeda Stock Struts and Shocks installed because the car just didnt feel like it was all in one piece.

Since the install the car feels like it is more solid. The ride has noticably improved.
I did have to have the front end aligned after the install.

Thanks to Gus at Steeda for the heads up on the new shocks. Well worth the investment.
Old 1/19/07, 07:31 AM
Bullitt Member

I agree the shocks and struts are a problem. But I do not race the car, so I am happy with the rest of the suspension. Maybe if I run into some extra $$$ new shocks and struts may be in order.
Old 1/21/07, 05:10 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

I ordered my Steeda springs,Struts and Shocks! I should not have to spend extra money to get the correct ride hight and stance!
Old 1/21/07, 11:25 AM
Bullitt Member

I voted yes and while the ride height is fine by me, I would opt for just a little tighter shocks and struts. Normally the ride on the highway and around town is wonderful, but when I get aggressive in my driving, the factory set-up feels a little sloppy. The wheel hop takes the fun out of "lighting em up". I have to get off of the gas cause it seems the whole car is going to shake loose. Will aftermarket roll bars with a better shock and struts tighten up the slop? I'll find out soon. I just don't want to drop her.
Old 1/21/07, 03:57 PM
GT Member

I liked it OK

The stock Mustang GT could have come an inch lower, and had thicker sway bars. It still would be a confortable ride, and cornered a lot better. Erik
Old 1/21/07, 05:35 PM
Bullitt Member

my biggest complaint is with the bump steer. IT really scares me at times. Id be going down the hiway at 60-70 and the slightest little bump in the road and the car wants to change lanes.

I know steeda makes a bumsterr kit, I may have to give it a try.
Old 1/21/07, 07:17 PM
Bullitt Member

just soft enough for a good ride, but stiff enough to hug the corners pretty decently, and being a daily driver, ill take that with a smile
Old 3/18/07, 09:40 PM

v6 pony package

Originally Posted by karman
Did You ever get some info on this subject? I Would Like to know myself
as I have a 2006 Pony Package And have A rear stabalizer bar. I have seen It with and without, This could be something Ford added to the package upgarde in 'o6.