GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Great Brake Bleeding

Search this Thread

Old 7/4/07, 06:29 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HolyPony!
I also run Ate Super Blue with Gransport GS3 pads. The track i run on is very short and not very friendly with the Mustang ( it accelerates to greater speed but I always have to brake, they never have a chance to cool down in straights), so yes my brakes get mushy pretty early. Besides it is so easy to bleed them now, and my brakes are always better after I bleed them, so...

2 weeks represent about 3 hours of track time for me, and I just went thru my GS3s in a matter of weeks, my rotors cracked within 3 weeks of that abuse. I run the stock brake components besides pads, lines and fluid.

Thanks for the tip about the Blacks, I was told the Blues were too much for street use, but never heard of the Blacks before ! Would you have the part # by any chance ?
I took a quick look at their site, but it doesn't look like they have
Blacks for the S197...

http://www.hawkperformance.com/parts...d+Parts+%3E%3E

It's possible the S197 is a tad too heavy for the Blacks to be effective. My BMW track car is less than 3k. I'd be interested in trying the DTC-60 and DTC-70 pads. If you get a super grippy pad you can get away with super late braking with ultimately less heat soaking. If you're cooking your brakes you need brake ducts. I put them on my Z/28 and it made all the difference in the world. The only downside was that my rotors ended up coating the sides of the car at the end of a rainy weekend at Watkins Glen.

By the way, which track? That sounds a lot like Waterford Hills in MI.
Old 7/5/07, 08:01 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by scramblr
Here you go. I bought four of them and they fit well. A vendor on another site cross referenced the stock brake bleeder bolt to the Speed Bleeder part number, giving the proper Speed Bleeder size (32mm x 1.0 x 31.35mm).

The Earl's part is 0.65mm longer, but it's been confirmed it is correct for our application after a call to Holley Parts (parent company of Earl's). I've blead my brakes with them and they work perfect.

http://www.byunspeed.com/product_inf...d738cbd5ed0493
Thanks a million scramlbr!
Old 7/5/07, 03:06 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by RobK
I took a quick look at their site, but it doesn't look like they have
Blacks for the S197...

http://www.hawkperformance.com/parts...d+Parts+%3E%3E

It's possible the S197 is a tad too heavy for the Blacks to be effective. My BMW track car is less than 3k. I'd be interested in trying the DTC-60 and DTC-70 pads. If you get a super grippy pad you can get away with super late braking with ultimately less heat soaking. If you're cooking your brakes you need brake ducts. I put them on my Z/28 and it made all the difference in the world. The only downside was that my rotors ended up coating the sides of the car at the end of a rainy weekend at Watkins Glen.

By the way, which track? That sounds a lot like Waterford Hills in MI.
This track is St-Eustache, QC. I hope to do Tremblant and / or Mosport pretty soon !
Old 9/1/07, 11:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hubec
. . . It turns out you have to use Motive's general purpose adaptor cap (model 1101). . ..
Is the universal cap a pain to use? I've read elsewhere that it can be a real hassle. Right now, that's the only thing stopping me from getting this.

Although, I don't see why I couldn't make my own screw-on cap from an OEM cap and a barb fitting...
Old 9/2/07, 06:33 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Import-Slaya
Is the universal cap a pain to use? I've read elsewhere that it can be a real hassle. Right now, that's the only thing stopping me from getting this.

Although, I don't see why I couldn't make my own screw-on cap from an OEM cap and a barb fitting...
The Universal cap works fine on my 05, but I DID have to use longer bolts than what comes with the kit. Because it uses the chains that wrap around the master cylinder and reserviour (sp?), you don't have to worry (as much) about too high of pressure popping the reserviour from the master cylinder. That would be bad...

FYI: I also thought about getting a spare cap from the dealer and making my own twist on pressure cap. It should be pretty easy and all you would need is the spare cap and a 3/8" (I THINK the Motive one uses 3/8" hose! Double check if you try it out...) bolt in nipple to do it. In my case, the dealers were closed and I needed to get the car done quickly, so I went ahead and used the universal model (which I had bought for my F100 pickup) instead.
Old 9/2/07, 08:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well guys I took your advise and just order this bleeder. I'm putting in my Line locks in on Wednesday so I figured this was a great time to get one. As long as this makes the job easier it's worth it. I got the bleeder and two bottles.
Old 9/2/07, 09:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Which line locks did you go with or are you making your own?
Old 9/2/07, 10:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

I got the PMP kit... with the JEGS solenoids I did buy the SLP kits but in the end the brake line was a different color and I was NOT crazy about opening up brake lines in the engine compartment.
I painted the lines for the SLP but just didn’t like the look.
Old 9/3/07, 09:54 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I bought the PMP but for some reason it was not mating well with the Earl's SS lines. So I got the GMS kit and it works great.
Old 9/20/08, 06:27 PM

I was just checking out your forums and saw this thread on the Motive Products bleeeder. As an owner of Motive Products here are two things

The cap that fits the 2005+ MY Mustang is the same as the GM cap - perfect fit.

Here is a link to get a 10% discount for anything on our site. You'll want model number 0107.

http://store.motiveproducts.com/?Coupon=mustangsource

Also for those of you that bought the universal cap send me an email and I'll send you a coupon for 30% off just the cap so that you don't have to use the universal. The universal works just fine, but the custom cap on the 0107 makes life a lot easier.
info@motiveproducts.com
Old 9/20/08, 10:44 PM

2005 MY Motive Bleeder.

Originally Posted by motiveproducts
I was just checking out your forums and saw this thread on the Motive Products bleeeder. As an owner of Motive Products here are two things

The cap that fits the 2005+ MY Mustang is the same as the GM cap - perfect fit.

Here is a link to get a 10% discount for anything on our site. You'll want model number 0108.

http://store.motiveproducts.com/?Coupon=mustangsource

Also for those of you that bought the universal cap send me an email and I'll send you a coupon for 30% off just the cap so that you don't have to use the universal. The universal works just fine, but the custom cap on the 0108 makes life a lot easier. The adapter is the 1108.
info@motiveproducts.com
Note : Model number was incorrect when I first posted it is the 0108 and not the 0107 which is for Mustangs prior to 2005.
Old 9/21/08, 07:22 AM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I've been using the Mityvac for brake bleeding and have been satisfied with the results.
Old 12/6/09, 07:03 PM
V6 Member

Beware... the 1108 Motive Adapter did not work well for me. It wouldn't hold 10 psi. The universal round adapter works fine.
Old 12/6/09, 10:38 PM
Team Mustang Source

Just ordered this set up for my wife's audi and got the adapter for the mustang. Been talking about it for 6 months how soft the pedal is in her '06 audi... every time I get in the car and drive it. Just mentioned it again today as a matter of fact. Then this thread resurfaces. Thanks for the 10% discount! This is what is known as serendipity.

Last edited by smitty; 12/6/09 at 10:40 PM.
Old 12/7/09, 05:38 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 779 Likes on 568 Posts
alway nice when a vendor jumps in to help
Old 12/7/09, 08:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaden
Beware... the 1108 Motive Adapter did not work well for me. It wouldn't hold 10 psi. The universal round adapter works fine.

Jaden,same for me,the 1108 adapter was leaking like a sieve,made a mess.When you say you used the universal adapter are you talking about part # 1119 ? If so i'll get one,let me know.Thanks
Old 12/7/09, 08:17 PM
V6 Member

No, I used 1101 (round plastic adapter), which sealed perfectly. But, I had a problem with the fluid bleeding really slow with 15 psi. I mean really, really slow. It took an hour for just one caliper to bleed enough fluid to drip into the catch can. Not sure what I was doing wrong. I'm going to give it another try this weekend.