GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Granatelli Turbo Install II

Search this Thread

Old 1/1/08, 12:54 PM
GTR Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 65sohc
Your kit came with hi-flow cats as I recall, right? On my Supra I ran a single Random Technology metallic substrate cat that was so free flowing you could look through it end to end and read a newspaper. That car made well over 500 rwhp with or without it. Hopefully yours are similar. As far as your Flowmasters go, I doubt they are much of a factor at the low boost pressures you're running. It is interesting that the STS remote-mounted turbo systems eliminate the mufflers altogether. The turbo itself, especially if coupled with cats, does a pretty good job muffling the noise. Re: convertible vs. coupe, a heavier car puts more load on the engine so, if anything, your turbo should spool a hair faster. One more point about mechanical boost controllers-it is common to see higher boost in the higher gears when there is more load on the engine. Therefore it is advisable to set the boost in as high a gear as practicable, which you are already doing. I just thought I'd mention it since I've had the experience of dialing in 12 psi in town in 2nd gear, only to find myself passing someone on the open road and seeing my boost gauge shoot past 15.
Yes, it came with hi-flow cats, but you couldn't see through them. Here's a picture looking into one of the cats:

Attachment 37412

Good tip about the higher gear. I was testing in 3rd, so maybe I should be doing it in 4th since that's where it would be dyno'd?
Attached Thumbnails Granatelli Turbo Install II-dscn7103.jpg  
Old 1/1/08, 03:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 89Trooper
Yes, it came with hi-flow cats, but you couldn't see through them. Here's a picture looking into one of the cats:

Attachment 37412

Good tip about the higher gear. I was testing in 3rd, so maybe I should be doing it in 4th since that's where it would be dyno'd?
Hmmm...Looks like a conventional ceramic brick cat. It may flow a bit more than stock but probably not dramatically so. The Random Tech cats have what looks like metallic foil arranged in a spiral pattern that you can see right through. They are true high flow units but also cost much more than regular cats and I doubt any turbo kits come with them. For a street-legal car garden variety cats are fine and you should still have more horsepower than you know what to do with. As far as testing in 4th gear, that is probably better off left to the dyno since you'd rack up extra-legal speedo numbers in a hurry.
Old 1/1/08, 04:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Hmmm...Looks like a conventional ceramic brick cat. It may flow a bit more than stock but probably not dramatically so. The Random Tech cats have what looks like metallic foil arranged in a spiral pattern that you can see right through. They are true high flow units but also cost much more than regular cats and I doubt any turbo kits come with them. For a street-legal car garden variety cats are fine and you should still have more horsepower than you know what to do with. As far as testing in 4th gear, that is probably better off left to the dyno since you'd rack up extra-legal speedo numbers in a hurry.
Id pull those cats and go with a different muffler set-up. You really need to set the boost in 4th on the street as the load you see on the dyno is not always the same on the street. For example when my car was on the dyno I saw a steady 8lbs but on the street it was more like high 9's-10lbs.
Old 1/1/08, 08:37 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by turbo05gt
Id pull those cats and go with a different muffler set-up.
Easier said than done.
Old 1/1/08, 08:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Easier said than done.
I can help with half of that!
Old 1/2/08, 07:59 PM
Former Vendor

Guys - we have 100's of kits out there. You are reinventing the wheel - There is nothing wrong with the cats we supply - I have never had a failure and I can tell you first hand the cats (plural) are not a restriction until you get into the 600hp range
Old 1/2/08, 08:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Granatelli

Guys - we have 100's of kits out there. You are reinventing the wheel - There is nothing wrong with the cats we supply - I have never had a failure and I can tell you first hand the cats (plural) are not a restriction until you get into the 600hp range
I agree 100%. As I said above, cats or no cats he SHOULD have more power than he knows what to do with. The question is, why doesn't he?
Old 1/3/08, 05:19 AM
Bullitt Member

I agree 100%. As I said above, cats or no cats he SHOULD have more power than he knows what to do with. The question is, why doesn't he?
Id really like to see him get rid of those flowmasters.
Old 1/3/08, 11:01 AM
Former Vendor

Tom Asked for an entry level boost kit - his HP numbers were actually very good for only 6 psi. All that stuff about shooting up to 13 was true but not really measure during the dyno test because Scott the tuner dialed back the timing. If you look at his dyno graph the spooling issue really goofed up the whole day becuase now he says he has a ton more boost down low. Since everyone is focusing primarily on the dyno numbers - I guess we need to wait and see what the dynojet says. Look at it like this, I have been accused of some many things but setting Tom aside, not one other GMS turbo guy on any board has ever once complained the turbo does not spool fast enough. I want to help Tom as much as anyone. But I can;t compete with 4 or 5 other tiny voices in his head tearing him 4 or 5 directions
Old 1/3/08, 11:41 AM
V6 Member

Here's one of our many happy turbo customers...
TESTIMONIAL:

I have had forced induction cars for the last 20 years. This is the most professionally laid out kit I have ever seen. The looks are stunning but the power is like a light switch. Stab the peddle and hope you are pointed in the right direction.
-Jay Harvell, Auto F/X Sinister Mustang

Old 1/3/08, 12:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by forced
Here's one of our many happy turbo customers...

TESTIMONIAL:

I have had forced induction cars for the last 20 years. This is the most professionally laid out kit I have ever seen. The looks are stunning but the power is like a light switch. Stab the peddle and hope you are pointed in the right direction.
-Jay Harvell, Auto F/X Sinister Mustang

Now what does this add to this thread???
Old 1/3/08, 01:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Old 1/3/08, 01:21 PM
Cobra Member

Complaint lodged with site moderators, I've had it!
Old 1/3/08, 04:03 PM
GTR Member

All that stuff about shooting up to 13 was true but not really measure during the dyno test because Scott the tuner dialed back the timing. If you look at his dyno graph the spooling issue really goofed up the whole day becuase now he says he has a ton more boost down low. Since everyone is focusing primarily on the dyno numbers - I guess we need to wait and see what the dynojet says.
Yep, Scott pulled the timing back to keep the car safe. For those of you who don't know this, Scott sent me a new tune with the timing back knowing I had boost levels down to 8psi MAX.

I will either be getting it dyno'd on a DynoJet this Saturday (I hope) or next Friday if Saturday falls through for some reason.

I've been driving the car every day to work this week and it feels strong.

I pulled out of work and punched it in 1st around a corner. I forgot about the TC, so it took over. Then I slammed it in 2nd and laid the longest patch I ever have in this car with the BFG tires. I was picking up tons of speed, so I had to get off of it before the tires grabbed.

Something is definitely working better.

Like I said before, the MBC may be temporarily fixing it, but the 8spi spring in the WG may be the final cure.
Old 1/3/08, 04:21 PM
Cobra Member

I pulled out of work and punched it in 1st around a corner. I forgot about the TC, so it took over. Then I slammed it in 2nd and laid the longest patch I ever have in this car with the BFG tires. I was picking up tons of speed, so I had to get off of it before the tires grabbed.

Something is definitely working better.
I wish I was riding shotgun when you did that...................Must have been a great feel Tom. I need to win the lotto or find some friggin cash someplace

Can't wait to see hear of the dyno results, I suspect you will be editing your sig with new RWHP #'s

You da man
Old 1/3/08, 04:28 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by philster2003
I wish I was riding shotgun when you did that...................Must have been a great feel Tom. I need to win the lotto or find some friggin cash someplace

Can't wait to see hear of the dyno results, I suspect you will be editing your sig with new RWHP #'s
I'm pretty easy on both of my cars (maybe that's why this hasn't bothered me so much). Today, that road was empty, and I was like... screw it...

The funny thing is, around the next corner a cop is always sitting 'cause it drops to 35 MPH very quickly. So I went from doing THAT instantly down to 35.

I love to nod at that cop with the top down, as I mute the radar detector.

I definitely will post the dyno results!
Old 1/3/08, 04:35 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by turbo05gt
Now what does this add to this thread???
I think what it added was 2 things

1. shows there are other guys happy with the kit right out of the box
2. this guy claim the power is like a light switch - instant
Old 1/3/08, 05:28 PM
Service Manager

Received 452 Likes on 224 Posts
I think what it added was 2 things

1. shows there are other guys happy with the kit right out of the box
2. this guy claim the power is like a light switch - instant
Actually what it added was nothing more than an advertisment coming from you via your employee which if you will note the policy that was PM'd to you is against forum rules.

I left it alone as posted rather than delete it but if this continues then THIS thread will get locked as TDS did the first and everyone will have to go to #III to find out Tom's results.

I think the horse has been beaten to death that there are plenty of other happy customers and it's quite obvious that Tom is the only person right now that has any issues and those issues have also been beaten to death...otherwise we would have 8 other threads on this and other forums regarding your kit...which we don't have so it is completely unnecessary to constantly self promote the product.

So if you or your employees have technical input pertaining directly to this thread topic then by all means feel free to join in....but customer service issues and advertisments(direct or via testimonials) need to be kept out of it as all it does is add unnecessary noise to do the discussion.
Old 1/3/08, 05:47 PM
Cobra Member

So I've kind of lost track, have you replaced the WG spring yet? And if so what validates that, that was a cause and you have it fixed? The dyno results?

I think many of us learned a great deal from your install. I know I would have it done professionally but this thread would definitely help me know if the professional install was a success.

Thanks Tom!
Old 1/3/08, 06:41 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by svopaul
Actually what it added was nothing more than an advertisment coming from you via your employee which if you will note the policy that was PM'd to you is against forum rules.

I left it alone as posted rather than delete it but if this continues then THIS thread will get locked as TDS did the first and everyone will have to go to #III to find out Tom's results.

I think the horse has been beaten to death that there are plenty of other happy customers and it's quite obvious that Tom is the only person right now that has any issues and those issues have also been beaten to death...otherwise we would have 8 other threads on this and other forums regarding your kit...which we don't have so it is completely unnecessary to constantly self promote the product.

So if you or your employees have technical input pertaining directly to this thread topic then by all means feel free to join in....but customer service issues and advertisments(direct or via testimonials) need to be kept out of it as all it does is add unnecessary noise to do the discussion.
I will forward you comments to the rest of the employees. SteveP while workng at Granatelli responded as an enthusiast. - It is a new year - stop picking on me

Quick Reply: Granatelli Turbo Install II