GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Granatelli 62mm Throttle Body Challenge

Search this Thread

Old 2/3/06, 10:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(official_style @ February 3, 2006, 8:18 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
i think it will make a bigger difference once i get my blower on. [/b][/quote]

First of all, I am neutral on the TB "wars", so this is not a flame post. But, I'm curious why one would think a bigger TB would make much of a difference on a blown car. There is already so much air being forced into the engine with a blower, I'm not sure a few extra mm dia on the TB will do anything measurable. Maybe at extremely high boost levels, the TB might become a restriction, but not in the 10psi and below range. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img] I can understand the theory why it would help a N/A engine, but with a blower you've already got all the air you can handle. Just my gut feeling...
Old 2/3/06, 10:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
o well, its already on so im gonna keep it on with the blower.
Old 2/3/06, 10:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(don_w @ February 3, 2006, 10:16 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
First of all, I am neutral on the TB "wars", so this is not a flame post. But, I'm curious why one would think a bigger TB would make much of a difference on a blown car. There is already so much air being forced into the engine with a blower, I'm not sure a few extra mm dia on the TB will do anything measurable. Maybe at extremely high boost levels, the TB might become a restriction, but not in the 10psi and below range. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img] I can understand the theory why it would help a N/A engine, but with a blower you've already got all the air you can handle. Just my gut feeling...
[/b][/quote]

I would think it depends on the blower type. a 2screw is delivering x.y liters of air for every turn of the shaft and I don't see a t/b changing that situation.... except maybe at big boost (or really small t/b) and some air is going thru the bypass valve.

but I can see it helping a centrifugal 'cuz air just kind of piles up at the t/b waiting to get into the motor.

I'm not sure about roots systems.
Old 2/3/06, 01:17 PM
V6 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(don_w @ February 3, 2006, 9:16 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]

I've had the throttle body on my car both without my vortech blower and with it. Without the blower the TB definitely made a significant feelable difference over stock. Hard to evaluate it with the blower on though. I can say that while the car is very drivable the throttle response is sensitive at lower rpms. I can make the car jump at low rpm levels even before I'm producing much boost. I guess that is in part the result of the the TB. I'm sure there will be some pseudo engineer on here giving me another reason for it but that is my best guess.

The following are my mods:
2006 GT
Vortech Supercharger - Intercooled 424rwhp 383 rwt
Jba longtube headers & H-pipe, Magnaflows
Granatelli TB
Strut Tower Brace
Steeda Sport Springs
Steeda Front and rear Swaybars
Steeda Rear Sway Bar Mounts
Steeda Adjustable third link
Granatelli Front Swaybar Mounting Brackets
Metco Aluminum Lower Trailing Arm
Adjustable panhard rod & Bracket
Granatelli Driveshaft Loop & Underbody Brackets
18x9 & 18x10 Chrome Bullits w/255 & 295 BF Goodrich G Force KDW II's
NYC dash Carbon fiber dash
CDC Ducktail spoiler.
Old 2/3/06, 02:31 PM
Former Vendor

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dcranford @ February 2, 2006, 5:23 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
granetelli so have you been testing the 65MM in these tests or the 62MM ?

Also what kind of mods need to be done to the manifold for the 65MM?
[/b][/quote]

62mm is what everyone asked for becuase it is DIRECT bolt on

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(official_style @ February 3, 2006, 8:18 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
this TB looks exactly the same as the LFP one i have on my car. when i first put it on, i had the high idle problem. i fixed this by adjusting the screw that stops the blades when they are closed. it is VERY finicky, you have to get it just right. when it is set correctly, it works pretty much perfectly. once in a while, it will hang onto revs for a second or 2. when my car was tuned, i had the deceleration timer set to either 0 or 1 seconds, so i can slow down without the brakes, like a normal stick car is supposed to do. this also made the revs fall much faster when letting off the gas. i am very happy with the TB, and i think it will make a bigger difference once i get my blower on. it made a huge difference with throttle response, i can match rev downshifts perfectly now, which was impossible with the stock tb and stock tune. put the TB on, and have a tuner who knows what they are doing, like mustang magic do ur tune. BTW, mine was tuned with a sniper. hope this helps!!
[/b][/quote]

GREAT POST - [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img]
Old 2/3/06, 02:56 PM
Former Vendor

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(don_w @ February 3, 2006, 9:16 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]

I can tell you all from experience (26 years at Paxton Superchargers) that EVERY millimeter helps. Centrifugal superchargers are all about air speed not pressure. The boost is the cause and effect of the air flow. You guys need to understand laminar air flow versus just plain compressed air. Any obstruction will reduce air speed which reduces performance. It is not like a turbo that just crams air regardless of what is in its path

As for a twin screw the same applies. The bigger the better because it gulps the air in. By increasing the size of the blades the engine can ingest more air “easier†and therefore make more power
Old 2/3/06, 03:29 PM
Bullitt Member

OK, where can I get one?
Old 2/3/06, 04:01 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Granatelli @ February 3, 2006, 4:59 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I can tell you all from experience that EVERY millimeter helps.
[/b][/quote]
Thats what she told me [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img]
Old 2/3/06, 04:04 PM
Former Vendor

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(thump_rrr @ February 3, 2006, 3:04 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]

Thump RRR - very funny [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/lol.gif[/img]
Old 2/13/06, 07:55 PM
Former Vendor

So I guess this post finally comes to an end. I enjoyed taking the time to go over the T-body THANKS
Old 2/14/06, 02:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Granatelli @ February 13, 2006, 6:58 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
So I guess this post finally comes to an end. I enjoyed taking the time to go over the T-body THANKS
[/b][/quote]

shucks, only one person took the challenge?
Old 2/14/06, 02:32 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(thump_rrr @ February 3, 2006, 7:04 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]

She must have been Canadian... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
Old 2/14/06, 05:42 PM
Cobra R Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GOFISCH @ February 3, 2006, 4:32 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
OK, where can I get one?
[/b][/quote]

I will sell you mine . Send a PM with your phone number.
Old 2/15/06, 11:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Granatelli @ February 3, 2006, 3:59 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I can tell you all from experience (26 years at Paxton Superchargers) that EVERY millimeter helps. Centrifugal superchargers are all about air speed not pressure. The boost is the cause and effect of the air flow. You guys need to understand laminar air flow versus just plain compressed air. Any obstruction will reduce air speed which reduces performance. It is not like a turbo that just crams air regardless of what is in its path

As for a twin screw the same applies. The bigger the better because it gulps the air in. By increasing the size of the blades the engine can ingest more air “easier†and therefore make more power
[/b][/quote]

wow - feel like the old engineering dynamics and motions classes are coming back -- lol [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/headscratch.gif[/img]

the smoother the surface the better the flow - rough surfaces are more resistance to the flow, slows it all down and causes losses - given flow or power or anything else that the end result of the system is going to be ----- this is the concept behind the ship sailing thru water or the airplane thru the air ---- that no matter how much medium is thrown at the system, if it cannot move and flow well, there will not be efficient energy produced......

reduce the obstructions to the flow as well as make it easy for the system to manage the induced air - the old school way of hot rodding by "opening everything up to breathe easier" -- is what i see happening in this case --- [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 2/18/06, 06:49 PM
Former Vendor

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stangette @ February 15, 2006, 10:43 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
wow - feel like the old engineering dynamics and motions classes are coming back -- lol [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/headscratch.gif[/img]

the smoother the surface the better the flow - rough surfaces are more resistance to the flow, slows it all down and causes losses - given flow or power or anything else that the end result of the system is going to be ----- this is the concept behind the ship sailing thru water or the airplane thru the air ---- that no matter how much medium is thrown at the system, if it cannot move and flow well, there will not be efficient energy produced......

reduce the obstructions to the flow as well as make it easy for the system to manage the induced air - the old school way of hot rodding by "opening everything up to breathe easier" -- is what i see happening in this case --- [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

Ya - what he said [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img]
Old 2/18/06, 10:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Granatelli @ February 18, 2006, 5:52 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Ya - what he said [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

ummm.... she, if I'm not mistaken [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]
Old 2/19/06, 09:24 AM
Former Vendor

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nonsensez9 @ February 18, 2006, 9:50 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
ummm.... she, if I'm not mistaken [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

Ya what She said [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img]

Sorry Stangette