GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Got Car Inspected With The O/r X Pipe On

Search this Thread

Old 4/2/07, 11:27 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got Car Inspected With The O/r X Pipe On

Soooo. I take my car in today to get inspected. Needless to say I was a little nervous since emission tests are now done here in NYS. GOOD NEWS . The first 2 first years ownership of a new car DMV does NOT require a full inspection meaning they do not do an emissions test and some other inspections.They didn't even lift my car in the air. They call it a reporting inspection and it cost $10 .
So For all you owners of O/R pipes. No need to change them until yor car is over 2 years old.
Old 4/2/07, 02:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

dood u can pass even after the 2 years in ny, as long as ur CEL is off. they just plug the thing into the obd port, if the light is off ur all good. no dyno on cars made after 1995 i think. i also know a place in the bronx that will pass ANY car.
Old 4/2/07, 02:49 PM
Cobra R Member

CT should be the same way they plug in the obd and it takes like 5 mins. The new system is great imo. No waiting an hour for some ******** to drive my car in and run the test and bring it back out
Old 4/2/07, 05:14 PM
Cobra Member

Better hope they don't peak under the car. In a former life I lived in Delaware which has a simple drive through inspection with a sniffer in the tail pipe. They actually look under the car with a mirror to see if the cats are there - on ALL cars that roll through.
Old 4/2/07, 08:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

you can also plug in a car that passes, and trick the compuuter. i did it on my truck when the CEL was on.
Old 4/2/07, 08:48 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by RobK
Better hope they don't peak under the car. In a former life I lived in Delaware which has a simple drive through inspection with a sniffer in the tail pipe. They actually look under the car with a mirror to see if the cats are there - on ALL cars that roll through.
In ct its no longer done by the state but by "certified" shops. In other words certain dealership with similar cars, or shops that don't care about cats and only care about the money for the test they make.
Old 4/3/07, 10:19 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
The bronx inspection station probably wouldn't work for those with cars registered in NJ.
Old 4/3/07, 01:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Where in the bronx you say??

Originally Posted by official_style
dood u can pass even after the 2 years in ny, as long as ur CEL is off. they just plug the thing into the obd port, if the light is off ur all good. no dyno on cars made after 1995 i think. i also know a place in the bronx that will pass ANY car.
Old 4/3/07, 02:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DynamicmustangGT
In ct its no longer done by the state but by "certified" shops. In other words certain dealership with similar cars, or shops that don't care about cats and only care about the money for the test they make.
I live in CT, Wallingford to be exact. I hate the new emissions testing procedure. It giives way to much power to privately owned garages who are "State certified emissions testers"......talk about giving power to the wrong people.........They're flunking cars left and right and then saying you can leave your car at their shop and get it "fixed" at 75-80 dollars an hour.........what a scam..... And what can you do????.....Just say the hell with it????.......If you do then your registration will be revoked and you'll be over 200 dollars in DMV fines.......Here's a true eexample. My mother has a 2001 Toyota echo with 50,000 miles on it.......The car is regularly serviced by Toyota and it is in great shape........She brings it to the local Firestone here in town fir an emissions test and what do they do????........They flunk the car!!!!!!...... and tell her they'll run a diagnostic on it for 75 bucks.........She calls me, I'm come down to Firestone and chew them out. They agree to do the one free re-test and guess what.........It passes with flying colors.......Nothing wrong with it.......Gotta love living in Corrupticut!!!!
Old 4/3/07, 04:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

yes the bx place will only work for cars registered in ny. theres one on jerome ave that doesnt care just gotta pay a little extra lol
Old 4/4/07, 05:58 AM
Bullitt Member

niceeee...
Old 4/4/07, 08:00 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by black sunshine
I live in CT, Wallingford to be exact. I hate the new emissions testing procedure. It giives way to much power to privately owned garages who are "State certified emissions testers"......talk about giving power to the wrong people.........They're flunking cars left and right and then saying you can leave your car at their shop and get it "fixed" at 75-80 dollars an hour.........what a scam..... And what can you do????.....Just say the hell with it????.......If you do then your registration will be revoked and you'll be over 200 dollars in DMV fines.......Here's a true eexample. My mother has a 2001 Toyota echo with 50,000 miles on it.......The car is regularly serviced by Toyota and it is in great shape........She brings it to the local Firestone here in town fir an emissions test and what do they do????........They flunk the car!!!!!!...... and tell her they'll run a diagnostic on it for 75 bucks.........She calls me, I'm come down to Firestone and chew them out. They agree to do the one free re-test and guess what.........It passes with flying colors.......Nothing wrong with it.......Gotta love living in Corrupticut!!!!
Hey, I used to live in Wallingford. Sorry to hear of your bad experience. If you don't mind the drive, try out Farmington Motorsports. They give you a free retest within 30 days and let you know what needs to be fixed. They will also do the work if you would like. They are good people there and only fix what the problem is. My 98 taurus filed because it needed ignition wires and spark plugs, and thats all they fixed, and the retest went fine. My stang isn't due till '09, and I might bring it to Morande ford and see if they can test one of the lot stangs for me if I go with an o/r pipe.
Old 4/4/07, 08:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Hey, I used to live in Wallingford. Sorry to hear of your bad experience. If you don't mind the drive, try out Farmington Motorsports. They give you a free retest within 30 days and let you know what needs to be fixed. They will also do the work if you would like. They are good people there and only fix what the problem is. My 98 taurus filed because it needed ignition wires and spark plugs, and thats all they fixed, and the retest went fine. My stang isn't due till '09, and I might bring it to Morande ford and see if they can test one of the lot stangs for me if I go with an o/r pipe.
Case and point!!!!
Old 4/4/07, 09:05 AM
Bullitt Member

My stang isn't due till '09, and I might bring it to Morande ford and see if they can test one of the lot stangs for me if I go with an o/r pipe.
I work in Berlin and have dealt with Morande Ford when I was first shopping around for a new Mustang (I didn't buy from them because they wouln't give x-plan to me) ..........Are you saying that a "Certified CT Emmisions Station" might perform an illegal act that violates the current emmissions program?????........I would be carefull where you bring that car in CT with no cats for an emmisions test...........WHY????......Because they don't have to give you your car back.......yes, that right......In certain extreme cases they have the right to mandate a repair before the car can be released..........What's the parts and labor on a new catted H pipe???.........don't forget the new 02 sensors because I'm sure their shot too.........Why the hell did legislature give that kind of power out is beyond me.
Old 4/4/07, 01:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

The best way to pass inspection is to go the ghetto, find a inspection shop, tell the guy the deal, ask how much to pass. Do this b4 even letting them scan ur ride.
Old 4/4/07, 05:48 PM
Bullitt Member

ahh yes.... da ghetto...... Memories... official style, where you located?
Old 4/4/07, 05:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

live in manhattan but works in the bx and queens. just be like yo papi got no cats how much to pass. lol. go to like out by shea stadium, no prob, just hit them off with a 20.
Old 4/4/07, 06:51 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

that is why i love south texas, they drive the car around and as long as you have piping to the back and a muffler they are ok with it, and if you do not have a muffler you just pay $20 and they pass you
Old 4/4/07, 07:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

my father is a shop owner in NYS and there is no more emmissions testing for 97+ year cars. they plug into the computer, read the readiness codes, as long as the CEL light illuminates and goes away it passes. The problem many may run into is the readiness codes. in msot custom tunes they dont show so you wont pass inspection. you would need to reload the stock tune, drive the car for about 100 miles or so, then try again. this poses a problem for the FI crew for sure ill find out in a week or two if i pass emmissions
Old 4/4/07, 09:29 PM
Cobra R Member

mark,
thats a good point. These people wouldn't do that though. They just run the cars in and out. i am trying to figure something out to get a set of temporary cats that can bolt on and off for this. besides if all goes well I will be working for the state by then.