GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

good write up on oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 1/8/07, 12:36 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good write up on oil pressure

anyone know a good write up on how to install an oil pressure guage, i am thinking about getting a shelby dash pod and putting this guage in but do not know how to hook up the oil pressure
Old 1/8/07, 01:48 AM
GT Member

Not a good writeup (no pics), but I've written something.

The factory oil pressure sender is located just above the oil filter. It is a 1/4inch NPT port. If you want a clean install, do it during an oil change so you don't get oil all over the place when you unscrew the factory sender. (I didn't) The easiest way to install will be simply unscrewing the factory sender and directly replacing it with the aftermarket 1/4 NPT sender. With the factory sender unplugged, your dash will give you an oil warning light. To get around that, you will have to cut the single grey sender wire and ground it to the chassis.

I'm not a big fan of cutting wires like that so I bought a 1/4 NPT brass tee from home depot so that I can retain both aftermarket and factory sensors. I also bought two 1/4 to 1/8 brass reducers and Autometer part number 3234. Autometer 3234 is a fuel pressure extension hose or something like that. This should give you all the necessary adapters and fittings to finish the job. But if you want to be safe, buy a couple of extra reducers. For a few bucks, it may save you a trip back to the hardware store in case autometer or your gauge kit didn't come with some necessary parts. Piecing it together is pretty straightforward. Just keep in mind that when you are finished, both ends of the autometer hose needs to be 1/4 NPT male. One end of the hose goes into the factory oil pressure port and the other end goes into the bottom of the 1/4 inch Tee. As for the sensors, one half of the tee should be kept 1/4 female to plug the factory sensor and the other half of the tee should be 1/8 NPT female (using the reducer) to accomodate the aftermarket sensor. Mount the Tee somewhere out of the way. some have ziptied it to their CAI heatshield. I drilled a hole through that flat plastic piece at the very front of the engine compartment. If you can figure out a better place, please let me know.

This may be unnecessary, but I covered the stainless steel braids of the autometer hose with heat shrink tubing. vibrating braided line can shred plastic and even aluminum. Also, I strongly recommend autometer 3234 just because fitting a tee with two huge pressure sensors into the tiny space above the oil filter is hard. It may be possible, but I have neither the patience or intelligence to do it. I know this post sux without pictures, but I don't have a digital camera. sorry. I just wanted to help, because this forum made each of my installs clean and easy. Maybe someone with pictures can do better. Good luck.

Parts: Autometer part number 3234, 1/4 inch to 1/8 inch NPT reducers, 1/4 inch NPT Tee, teflon tape, solder, heat shrink tubing, Gauge of your choice.
Old 1/8/07, 05:32 AM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What sook said, I did the exact same thing.
Old 1/8/07, 07:57 AM
Team Mustang Source

Where are you getting the Shelby dash pod?
Old 1/8/07, 06:34 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

ShelbyAuto.com, i am going to order the guages first though, still debating on Phantom II's or Lunars, i like the nexus but not enough to buy the guages