GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Going to make my own brake duct kit

Search this Thread

Old 3/19/10, 07:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Going to make my own brake duct kit

I am in need of a brake duct kit as I am heading to a 2.8 mile road course this summer. Autocross events are not an issue, but from what I have read, road course use should have it.

Seeing as I am cheap and I consider myself talented, I am sure I can make something just as good as what is comercially available.

Once get started I will start snapping pictures and post it.

One kit I saw was $1199US, crazy. Mind you it was carbon fiber to make it light weight. With that in mind I will go with aluminum.
Old 3/19/10, 07:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cop on my back
I am in need of a brake duct kit as I am heading to a 2.8 mile road course this summer. Autocross events are not an issue, but from what I have read, road course use should have it.

Seeing as I am cheap and I consider myself talented, I am sure I can make something just as good as what is comercially available.

Once get started I will start snapping pictures and post it.

One kit I saw was $1199US, crazy. Mind you it was carbon fiber to make it light weight. With that in mind I will go with aluminum.
Proper braking techniques minimize the need for break cooling mods where street tires and street compound pads are used. However, cooling the brakes isn't ever anything to worry about unless you've got enough cooling to bring the operating temps of your pads down.

You should aim to direct the airflow towards the center of the rotor assembly around the hub. Directing the cool incoming air towards the cooling veins will result in the best uniform cooling. Aiming the duct directly at the rotor can create warping from uneven cooling.

good luck!
Old 3/19/10, 08:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have looked at many kits on line to see what they look like and will have the air directed into the center of the rotor to spread it out evenly. I agree proper braking and smooth driving will keep temperatures down to a point, but at this track I should hit speeds around 100-110 mph and then into a fairly hard corner, so they are going to get way hot. After a 15 or 20 minute session I am sure the cooling will be appreciated.

Crossdrilled and slotted rotors are coming off and being replaced with just slotted rotors and they are a better quality than the street type I have on now.

Last edited by cop on my back; 3/19/10 at 08:55 PM.
Old 3/19/10, 10:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Cool. Looking forward to the updates Richard.
Old 3/23/10, 02:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Teaser pic. Just a cut out of the dust shield / duct for the rotors. I am using sub box ports as the inlets in the lower grill, they are on order and will take a week to arrive. Trying to source out the hose material locally now.

I realize from these pictures one of my next upgrades is some new struts front and rear!
Attached Thumbnails Going to make my own brake duct kit-img_6594.jpg   Going to make my own brake duct kit-img_6595.jpg   Going to make my own brake duct kit-img_6596.jpg  
Old 3/23/10, 09:20 AM
Cobra Member

I have no personal experience with it, but have you seen the Quantum stuff?

http://store.quantummotorsports.com/...bnhk71dgtl3kc4

I would love to see your inlet setup, I've been considering what to do with mine. Agent 47 vs Shelby vs Quantum vs Custom made (speaker ports) for my CS fascia.

This is an album of pics I have collected this includes grilles, brake duct, and auxiliary light options.

http://rides.webshots.com/album/576258608XGDOeX

Last edited by Shotokan1509; 3/23/10 at 09:25 AM.
Old 3/23/10, 08:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Excellent pictures, gives me some ideas. I am not sure if I will spray paint the black plastic inlet tube (sub box port) silver or chrome before installing. It might stand out a bit too much. I haven't figured out how to secure a wire mesh in the opening without restricting the opening diameter, at least in my mind, I don't have the parts on hand yet.

One idea I have is to heat up the inlets so I can squeeze them down to be oval like the 03-04 cobras. Might not flow with the front of the car, but it would fit better. I bought 3 tubes so that I can experiment with a sacrificial one first.
Old 3/23/10, 08:12 PM
Cobra Member

Excellent pictures, gives me some ideas. I am not sure if I will spray paint the black plastic inlet tube (sub box port) silver or chrome before installing. It might stand out a bit too much. I haven't figured out how to secure a wire mesh in the opening without restricting the opening diameter, at least in my mind, I don't have the parts on hand yet.

One idea I have is to heat up the inlets so I can squeeze them down to be oval like the 03-04 cobras. Might not flow with the front of the car, but it would fit better. I bought 3 tubes so that I can experiment with a sacrificial one first.
Have you seen Shelby's newer version? I think they are also using a speaker port and they just took some wire mesh and bent it over a dowel or something for a friction fit in the speaker port

Old 3/23/10, 11:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yea, I can get that done at work. I think if you add a little silicone or some kind of adhesive with that there would be no problem.

I figure I can get the entire kit done for about $50. How? Lets just say that where I work we have many apprentices and the sheetmetal work is a nice little project. It should be done tomorrow and I will trial fit. Once that is done I will get it black anodized.

Of course this is free for me....my place of work will remain nameless.
Old 3/24/10, 07:26 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
make meeee one!!!!!!!!!
Old 3/24/10, 09:22 AM
Cobra Member

I added a few more pics of someone that made their own bumper duct, and cut the back plate off the honeycomb for the lower grill, super stealth!

Starts on page 7 of this album I think
http://rides.webshots.com/album/5762...GDOeX?start=72

And keep us updated on your project, I keep thinking I could make my own just not sure how I would want to.
Old 3/25/10, 11:11 AM

Yea, I can get that done at work. I think if you add a little silicone or some kind of adhesive with that there would be no problem.

I figure I can get the entire kit done for about $50. How? Lets just say that where I work we have many apprentices and the sheetmetal work is a nice little project. It should be done tomorrow and I will trial fit. Once that is done I will get it black anodized.

Of course this is free for me....my place of work will remain nameless.
nice project, man! i'm subscribed!

you must work in some kind of top secret facility...
Old 3/25/10, 04:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Update, the new aluminum dust shields with the air duct pipe are now completed. I will get them black anodized, but not now as I don't want to wear out my welcome with the plating shop by asking too many favors. I will wait a couple months for that and remove.

Now I just need to wait until next week when the inlet ports arrive.
Attached Thumbnails Going to make my own brake duct kit-img_6597.jpg  

Last edited by cop on my back; 3/25/10 at 04:23 PM.
Old 3/25/10, 04:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by nite
nice project, man! i'm subscribed!

you must work in some kind of top secret facility...
Top secret, no. But not a place I want to advertise. It is a small world and the last thing I need is word getting back that I am telling the world online that my work is making me Mustang parts.

It is not a big deal, it happens often, but you don't advertise the fact!!
Old 3/25/10, 06:04 PM

that makes sense. i'm sure most of would do the same under the circumstances.

thanks for the update. those shields look awesome! why don't you just paint or powdercoat them?
Old 3/25/10, 06:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Anodizing won't come off, it is resistant to heat and it is very quick to do. We have powdercoating and paint at my work too, but I am sticking to anodizing.
Old 3/27/10, 01:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Okay, some pictures of the parts installed with the new rotors.
Attached Thumbnails Going to make my own brake duct kit-img_6598.jpg   Going to make my own brake duct kit-img_6599.jpg   Going to make my own brake duct kit-img_6600.jpg   Going to make my own brake duct kit-img_6601.jpg  
Old 3/28/10, 11:24 AM
Cobra R Member

u made me a set right???
Old 3/28/10, 12:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Barricade
u made me a set right???
Sorry. I would love to get a bunch made, but no can do.
Old 3/28/10, 04:21 PM
Cobra R Member

Then go away you big tease....

Quick Reply: Going to make my own brake duct kit