GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Glug?

Search this Thread

Old 8/30/07, 10:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glug?

Hey, what do I gotta do to my GT to get it to sound like a classic? I want that glug-glug-glug motorboating sound...if it's even possible...?
Old 8/30/07, 11:46 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

everyones opinion on this is different, alot of people spent alot of money trying different and new exhuast setups, these cars are not like the old 5.0s where you can just add some longtubes, flows and a cam and you got an awesome sound. For sure you need an offroad H-pipe, after that it is up to you, which longtubes you like, and what mufflers you like
Old 8/30/07, 11:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cams. there are plenty of videos to describe that exact sound, check you-tube... it's cams you want.
Old 8/30/07, 02:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Like this??? Not with these overhead cam engines. Stage 4 Comp Cams is about as close as you can come. But it still isn't like the old days.
Scott

http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q...newexhaust.flv
Old 8/30/07, 05:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Arrow.... I'm not sure there is a way to get these overhead cam engines to sound like the old pushrod 5.0's. The engine sound even changed when they went to the roller lifers engines in 85.

You can spend a lot of money trying to get that sound from what I've read on these forum sites.

There was a recent thread on this site about the new Pypes Mid-muffler system that is supposed to sound a lot like the older mustangs. I have the IMCO Extreme 55506 Axle-back mufflers which have a simular sound and I only paid $314 for them.... I believe the Pypes Mid-muffler system is about $670.

It probably isn't possible to duplicate the old 5.0 sound because of the difference in the two engine designs.... too bad.

Bobby M.
Old 8/30/07, 09:34 PM
Bullitt Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWo4V...related&search=

arrow... here is what you want and it can be done on the 3v engine, that glub has nothing to do w/ pipes or mufflers... more to do with denotation/timing,of the camms
Old 8/31/07, 02:12 AM

Arrow the sound you are trying to achieve can be obtained. It is not exactly like the sound of the mustangs from the past but darn close.

The best sounding cams by far are the Blow By Racing Stage II's. The Comp Cams Stage IV's do not give the sound you want. Although both cams are good and produce very similar Dyno results the BBR II's have that glub glub glub muscle car sound we all want.

Here is EmperorJordan's car with BBR II's (Awesome sound)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13pA6O0cmoA

Only downside is cost... figure on about $1000 in parts, plus $500+ in labor and then custom tuning to bring the cam in to scope below the 3500 rpm range which could be 500+. But you gain about 25-30 rwhp based on individual dynos that have been posted.
Old 8/31/07, 09:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks guys. Shows how much I know. I had no idea that was related to the cams. I thought it was all musical (as in: exhaust).

Sounds cool, though. I'm not looking for an exact replica sound, but I really like that deep, glug-glug sound, over the vroom-vroom of modern high-end cars. When I pull up at a light, the stock GT sounds nice, but it doesn't really say "power" it more says "evidence of V8"... Not that that is a bad thing, but hopefully you get the picture.

So let's say I decide to go for some new cams. What do you think it would cost me, roughly? What are some good cams? Also, a big thing for me is I want to know what this would effect. Do I need to do anything else to the car for the cams to run properly? Is this going to damage my engine? What about fuel consumption?

Just weighing my options.
Old 8/31/07, 10:33 AM
Cobra Member

Cams can be a sort-of-scary mod due to internal modifications. My buddy cammed his 04 GT along with gears, exhuast, cai, springs. A week after he got it back, the engine basically blew up. Pistons were fried. The place that did the installtion said "he revved it to high." In the end they had to redo and the shop agreed for my buddy to just pay parts. I know it might not happen often, but it can be bad when it does.
Old 8/31/07, 10:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Sounds more like an excessively lean mixture is what caused the fried pistions. Changing cams is just like many other mods. Run a bad tune and you will have trouble. Good tune = no problems. I've run different cams in many engines and never had a problem. Granted a cam change in these OHC motors is a more complex procedure than it was with pushrods but it's success depends on A) weather or not it's assembled correctly and B) the RIGHT tune.
Old 8/31/07, 11:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by wallace

arrow... here is what you want and it can be done on the 3v engine, that glub has nothing to do w/ pipes or mufflers... more to do with denotation/timing,of the camms
Me likey.
Old 8/31/07, 12:41 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Arrow , when I thinking about having a supercharger installed , I stopped by Blow-By-Racing and got an estimate. For the cams , heads port and polished , fuel pump and a few other things it was about $4500 installed. I already had the CMD plates and a CAI , so those would add to it. They said it should make around 370 to 390 RWHP. It was about a $1000 less than they quoted me to have a non-intercooled Vortech installed ...
Old 8/31/07, 01:39 PM

Only a complete moron would spend 1000 on cams and pay someone to instal them just to get a "glub-glub" sound from the car. Does it make any difference how those cams affect the engine performance besides the sound?
And for re-ground cams too, not even new design cams? That means they are not higher lift, they just have the duration shortened by grinding the lobes narrower.
I mean who cares how the cams run lets just get that lopey cam sound.

That is some seriously defective reasoning for cams.....
Old 8/31/07, 02:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Only a complete moron would spend 1000 on cams and pay someone to instal them just to get a "glub-glub" sound from the car.
NO.... a moron would think he can suggest what you did and not be seen as that in which you describe... i did'nt read anywhere that you were asked to help front the bill... plus, the guy asked a question he did'nt know what made the sound. he only gave a description and received helpful answers.
Old 8/31/07, 08:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by uberPony
Only a complete moron would spend 1000 on cams
I'm not sure where I asked for opinions on what to do with my money, but it's my flip'n money and I'll **** well spend it as I please.
Old 9/2/07, 01:38 PM

well good fer you! Enjoy the "glub glub glub"
Old 9/2/07, 03:26 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by wallace

Sounds like a Harley
Old 9/2/07, 04:02 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by uberPony
Only a complete moron would spend 1000 on cams and pay someone to instal them just to get a "glub-glub" sound from the car. Does it make any difference how those cams affect the engine performance besides the sound?
And for re-ground cams too, not even new design cams? That means they are not higher lift, they just have the duration shortened by grinding the lobes narrower.
I mean who cares how the cams run lets just get that lopey cam sound.

That is some seriously defective reasoning for cams.....
Some thoughts are better if you keep them to yourself.
Old 9/2/07, 09:30 PM
Bullitt Member

If you want it to sound like an older one, buy an older one. I think these new cars are more suited for a "refined" or "exotic" sound, not really a muscle car sound.