GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Getting ready for a long tube install...pointers and tips!

Search this Thread

Old 4/27/08, 02:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting ready for a long tube install...pointers and tips!

Well I after much research I have decided to save the money and install them myself. I feel that I have more than enough tools, garage space, and knowledge to do this. I would say that my level of experience is moderate. I did all my suspension work myself, I can wire complete sound systems, I'm great at solving problems, etc...so I know this is something I can do. This will by my first long tube header install on a V8, so I wanted to make a kind of check list and see what you guys think will help the install go a little bit more smoothly.

The things I know that will make it easiest:
--Remove battery/battery tray
--Remove starter
--Remove driverside engine mount
--Disassemble steering shaft

The things I want to know:
--How hard is it to remove the starter? It's right at the bottom (obviously) but is there anything I need to make sure I do in the process of de-installing/re-installing it?
--Are there any tricks or tips to removing the driverside engine mount? I know where it is located and know that only 4 bolts hold it in.
--Disassembly of the steering shaft probably has me the most concerned. I know that I should mark each ends with some type of marker, but any other pointers are appreciated.

I went with the Hooker long tube headers because I got an amazing deal on them. I know if Faber or any of the other OBX guys read this, they'll be upset. However I definitely appreciated all their input, and those are definitely quality headers.

Thanks so much,
Brandon
Old 4/27/08, 07:05 PM
GT Member

1. starter is very straight forward and easy. disco battery remove wires and 3 bolts on starter.
2. driver side engine mount I used extentions and a universal joint and worked like a champ. 4 bolts to motor 1 from ount to k member.
3. Sharpie is your frind to mark it. I didnt and havent had a problem. Remove bottom bolt wd-40/liquid wrench/pb blaster. lube it up and wiggle the crap out of it. Use a small pry bar/flat head screwdriver to finish the job. I was nervious the first time but after the 6th or 7th one it's cake.
Old 4/27/08, 09:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Speeddmn
1. starter is very straight forward and easy. disco battery remove wires and 3 bolts on starter.
2. driver side engine mount I used extentions and a universal joint and worked like a champ. 4 bolts to motor 1 from ount to k member.
3. Sharpie is your frind to mark it. I didnt and havent had a problem. Remove bottom bolt wd-40/liquid wrench/pb blaster. lube it up and wiggle the crap out of it. Use a small pry bar/flat head screwdriver to finish the job. I was nervious the first time but after the 6th or 7th one it's cake.

Great! So the steering shaft really isn't a pain in the butt?
Old 4/28/08, 07:17 AM

I installed a set of Kooks on my GT and I did not have to remove the steering shaft. I did howver probably jack the motor up a little more. I think you will be better off removing the passenger side motor mount. Actually I think you will have to. It pretty much blocks one or two of the bottom header bolts. Hope this helps. That's great you're doing it yourself too. It's really not that hard, just time consuming, Although you might throw a few curse words around here and there!
Old 4/28/08, 09:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Mustang Matt
I installed a set of Kooks on my GT and I did not have to remove the steering shaft. I did howver probably jack the motor up a little more. I think you will be better off removing the passenger side motor mount. Actually I think you will have to. It pretty much blocks one or two of the bottom header bolts. Hope this helps. That's great you're doing it yourself too. It's really not that hard, just time consuming, Although you might throw a few curse words around here and there!

Hahaha oh yeah, I think curse words will be present.