GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Gears installed

Search this Thread

Old 3/21/11, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gears installed

I had 4:10's just installed and on my way home every now and then I would hear a humming sound. I read threads here and there with the same sound but never really paid to much attention to so...will the sound eventually go away after a while or what. Need info. Thanks guys.
Old 3/21/11, 07:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Some say that it needs to break in. About 500 miles or so. I gave mine almost 1000 miles before i got tired of the humming during deceleration. When i took it apart i found the pinion bearing was scratched. After i replaced the bearings the humming went away.
Old 3/21/11, 08:14 PM

Cool, I will give a 500 miles or so and if it still persist I will take it back to the guy who installed them. Thanks.
Old 3/21/11, 08:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Make sure you let whoever installed your gears know that you are having a humming noise coming from your gears.
Old 3/22/11, 02:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I just had another set installed in mine and they hum to. The dealer says they called the ford tech line and it's normal. I called FRPP myself and they and said it's nothing to worry about. Mine are not broken in yet either.

What speeds does the humming occur, do you notice if it's better/worse when the car warms up, does it do it in all modes (coast, float, accell/decell) and is there a slight vibration associated with it?

Most people say there should be no noise, but I think there are a lot of people out there who just don't notice or have other issues that masks the sound. By buddy has 4.10s and his has the same hum as mine although he can't hear it.

Here's my thread incase you have not seen it: https://themustangsource.com/f669/dr...speeds-492421/

Tim
Old 3/22/11, 03:02 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tdbrown75
My buddy has 4.10s and his has the same hum as mine although he can't hear it.
Tim
I'm not deaf! You're just overly ****!

-danny
Old 3/22/11, 09:27 PM

Sorry to hear that. I just had another set installed in mine and they hum to. The dealer says they called the ford tech line and it's normal. I called FRPP myself and they and said it's nothing to worry about. Mine are not broken in yet either.

What speeds does the humming occur, do you notice if it's better/worse when the car warms up, does it do it in all modes (coast, float, accell/decell) and is there a slight vibration associated with it?

Most people say there should be no noise, but I think there are a lot of people out there who just don't notice or have other issues that masks the sound. By buddy has 4.10s and his has the same hum as mine although he can't hear it.

Here's my thread incase you have not seen it: https://themustangsource.com/f669/dr...speeds-492421/

Tim
The humming occurs only during speeds of 65 and up, I told the guy who installed them and said give it a week and if it still is humming to take it back but shouldn't worry, he said it could be the bearings but nevertheless take it back if it continues.
Old 3/22/11, 09:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by dlimon
The humming occurs only during speeds of 65 and up, I told the guy who installed them and said give it a week and if it still is humming to take it back but shouldn't worry, he said it could be the bearings but nevertheless take it back if it continues.
That's exactly what mine does. I've only driven it once since they were installed but I noticed the humming at 65+ and it seemed to get worse after it was warmed up. No whining or other sounds at all, just the humming on the highway. They took another look at it and could not find anything, going to let it break and see what happens. Keep me posted on yours too!

Tim
Old 3/22/11, 09:49 PM

That's exactly what mine does. I've only driven it once since they were installed but I noticed the humming at 65+ and it seemed to get worse after it was warmed up. No whining or other sounds at all, just the humming on the highway. They took another look at it and could not find anything, going to let it break and see what happens. Keep me posted on yours too!

Tim
Will do and you do as well.
Old 3/23/11, 04:16 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just get a louder exhaust and the humming noise will be fixed!!
Old 3/23/11, 04:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by SONICBOOST
Just get a louder exhaust and the humming noise will be fixed!!
Believe it or not I have FR500S (M-5230-S) mufflers en route to my house. Should make a nice coming home present for my Mustang, and may also help with the humming!

Tim
Old 3/24/11, 09:02 PM

Tim
Any luck with the whining gears. I still here mine but it's not as loud as before but it's still there none the less. Guess I'm taking it back on Monday. Will keep you posted.

David
Old 3/24/11, 09:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by dlimon
Any luck with the whining gears. I still here mine but it's not as loud as before but it's still there none the less. Guess I'm taking it back on Monday. Will keep you posted.

David
David,

I've not been able to drive my car going on 5 weeks now: https://themustangsource.com/f691/so...-vinyl-492705/. I hope to have it back tomorrow, early next week at the latest. I don't drive much so going to take me a few weeks to "break in".

When you say hum, is it a hum or a whine? They can make all kinds of noises from humming to whining to howling to whooshing. Mine's a humming sound, like a fast rumble I only get over 65. There's absolutely no whine, howl or any other noises, just a resonance in the frame of the car at 65+ that I'm being told has to do with the gears in terms of the way they are cut, the material they are made from and velocity they are turning. It's a harmonic vibration that's a little annoying but not really noticeable with the radio on.

Anyway not sure your symptoms are exactly like mine, but generally speaking they can be noisy in all sorts of ways for all sorts of reasons.

Tim
Old 4/11/11, 06:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well I'm happy to report after 300 miles with the new axle and gears (still breaking in) the vibe seems to be gone. There *may* be some minuscule remnant of it back there, or that could just be the new exhaust rumble. In any case I'm planning to do a gear oil change with RP at 500 miles then I'm going to let her rip. For the time being I'm willing to bet I have one of the quietest rear ends out there, or at least the car does!

How's your situation working out?

Tim
Old 4/11/11, 09:07 PM

Well I'm happy to report after 300 miles with the new axle and gears (still breaking in) the vibe seems to be gone. There *may* be some minuscule remnant of it back there, or that could just be the new exhaust rumble. In any case I'm planning to do a gear oil change with RP at 500 miles then I'm going to let her rip. For the time being I'm willing to bet I have one of the quietest rear ends out there, or at least the car does!

How's your situation working out?

Tim
Well I still here the whine, I'm calling it a whine not a hum, I haven't gone back too the guy who installed cause I haven't had time, but when I talked to him he said it might be the bearings but he said it should be alright, I still plan on taking it back though, kind of got use to it and is drowned out by my roush axle back deletes which sounds amazing by the way but I still want it fixed.

David
Old 4/12/11, 01:52 PM
GT Member

any noise that you can hear from your gears is not normal...and it won't usually go away after a "break in period"...if there is noise its due to improper adjustment and/or preload. If you drive it like that with a noise it will ruin the gears and even after its redone it will still whine. I have been thru this once with my car. You also could be hearing and feeling a pinion angle problem especially if you have a aftermarket driveshaft. If you are lowered especially you need to install a adjustable upper control arm and adjust your pinion angle to anywhere from -2 to -4 more for if you have plans to drag the car...(-2 should be good for most street cars)... a out of spec pinion angle will cause a off power rumble/vibe at high speeds most noticeabley... anyway... this info is from my experience and is not rule of law!!! there will be plenty of opinions on what to do for and how to deal with gear issues...best bet is to have your installer (whom should be a good mech that knows how to do them and not a fly by night low price deal) know you have a noise as soon as you hear it... just so they know and have the option to fix it now or later!! better to fix it now and save buying another set of gears!!!

--- by the way...its not rocket science...the critical steps is the shimming of the pinion and carrier (ring)... my mechanic ran ###s for hours and finnally went with them even though they seemed wrong to him...did the paint test...everything looked good and when we drove it it had a coast side whine... he started over and went with what he thought it should have that time and it was perfect ..no noise at all! so even if they trust the numbers and shim it right it can still be off sometimes...
Old 4/19/11, 07:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 06SatinSilver
any noise that you can hear from your gears is not normal...and it won't usually go away after a "break in period"...if there is noise its due to improper adjustment and/or preload. If you drive it like that with a noise it will ruin the gears and even after its redone it will still whine. I have been thru this once with my car. You also could be hearing and feeling a pinion angle problem especially if you have a aftermarket driveshaft. If you are lowered especially you need to install a adjustable upper control arm and adjust your pinion angle to anywhere from -2 to -4 more for if you have plans to drag the car...(-2 should be good for most street cars)... a out of spec pinion angle will cause a off power rumble/vibe at high speeds most noticeabley... anyway... this info is from my experience and is not rule of law!!! there will be plenty of opinions on what to do for and how to deal with gear issues...best bet is to have your installer (whom should be a good mech that knows how to do them and not a fly by night low price deal) know you have a noise as soon as you hear it... just so they know and have the option to fix it now or later!! better to fix it now and save buying another set of gears!!!

--- by the way...its not rocket science...the critical steps is the shimming of the pinion and carrier (ring)... my mechanic ran ###s for hours and finnally went with them even though they seemed wrong to him...did the paint test...everything looked good and when we drove it it had a coast side whine... he started over and went with what he thought it should have that time and it was perfect ..no noise at all! so even if they trust the numbers and shim it right it can still be off sometimes...
SatinSilver,

I actually had my gears done in March. They were 3:73's and there was no noise whatso ever. I then last weekend lowered the car with steeda sport springs and shocks and struts kit. I also installed steeda stop hop pack with the non adjustible shorter 3rd link which cause this humming noise. We relaized it threw off my pinion angle and replaced only the third link back to stock. The humming/whining noise went away but I can still hear it at 65+ when decelerating but not as loud as before when I had the non adjustible shorter 3rd link. Car is still lowered 1" and has only rear lower control arms.

I read you said when lowered I need a adjustable control arm. Is this true for all lowered cars because of the pinion angle? or because I had driven the car for 25-35 miles with the non adjustible shorter 3rd link before changing it back to stock which messed up the bearings?
Old 4/19/11, 05:47 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by mptant913
SatinSilver,

I actually had my gears done in March. They were 3:73's and there was no noise whatso ever. I then last weekend lowered the car with steeda sport springs and shocks and struts kit. I also installed steeda stop hop pack with the non adjustible shorter 3rd link which cause this humming noise. We relaized it threw off my pinion angle and replaced only the third link back to stock. The humming/whining noise went away but I can still hear it at 65+ when decelerating but not as loud as before when I had the non adjustible shorter 3rd link. Car is still lowered 1" and has only rear lower control arms.

I read you said when lowered I need a adjustable control arm. Is this true for all lowered cars because of the pinion angle? or because I had driven the car for 25-35 miles with the non adjustible shorter 3rd link before changing it back to stock which messed up the bearings?

--- pm'ed you back....