GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Gear Noise? 3.73

Search this Thread

Old 2/6/07, 04:54 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gear Noise? 3.73

Well I just had the 3.73 gears installed at the dealer. They forgot to recalibrate the speedo I think. at what rpms are you doing 60 or 70, so that I can compare. Also when you change gears you should feel the difference not hear it right. It sounds fine around the city pretty much, but gets more of whirring sound on the highway like your driving a truck or something. So my question is with the 3.73 do you hear any difference or does it feel any different. Like I said it seems a little louder on the highway almost like I have the bigger tires on or something. Thanks for any input. I am taking it back tommorrow for the speedo etc, hope to have some opinions by then on wether it should sound louder or not. Thanks.
Old 2/6/07, 05:15 PM
Former Vendor

3.73's installed shouldnt be much more "noisier" of a gear. You may hear a little bit of whirring during break in. It shouldn't be extremely noticable, but they wont sound silent either.

Get the speedo recalibrated, and follow the typical gear break-in procedure. If it hasn't subsided some by then, you might want to have a tech just litsen to it.

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 2/6/07, 05:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Any gear change that has all of the clearance set correctly should not be noisey. I have a 93 Ford pickup and a 98 Ford Explorer with factory 4:10s. I have NO noise from either vehicle. I truely believe it is in the install.
Scott
Old 2/6/07, 05:32 PM
Cobra R Member

well its not really noisy or anything. Its driving great and the lash seems to be set just fine, because I am not getting any clunks or anything. In my mind tho it seemed a bit louder just like more tire noise, is there no difference in sound in gear changes. I would think since they are rotating at different speeds now that they might translate into more road/tire noise. But Its not loud or anything. I just definitely notice it more on the highway. I taking it back in the morning because I dont think the speedo is set right, then I am going to talk to the tech at the same time and see what he says. He had drawers fool of shims, etc of the hundreds he had done. real nice guy. I just want to make sure there set up right. Could just be paranoia

p.s. Oh yah it felt like I was doing 55-60 and the speedo said 75 or something. Can someone give me an approx mile/rpm so I can compare the 3.73 to the auto 3.31
Old 2/6/07, 07:13 PM
Cobra R Member

Not to sound stupid, but could the louder sound be the fact that your rpm's are slightly higher than they use to be (assuming the same speed). So, that noise may just be more air through pushed into the intake, or more air exiting the mufflers
Old 2/6/07, 07:35 PM
Cobra R Member

Well I pretty much notice it when I am on the highway, and It seems Like I almost feel it. I took it out for another spin. I love the gears they really kick butt. But it seems like its sort of a low groan like you have big tires on a jeep and are coming to a stop when getting off highway but definitely noticable but low.
Old 2/7/07, 06:46 AM
Cobra R Member

Well lets start off with saying I think the noise I am hearing is normal. Just a steeper gear. I also had the back seats down from all the parts, so it translates the noise to up front easier. Put the seats up and its about normal to me. So thats good. Second I spoke to them about the speedo being off, mechanic says he tried 4 times, and spoke with the hotline. supposedly they changed the computers so that this stuff is not changeable. He said it would let you pick 3.31 and 3.55 or something, but nothing else. So he is doing some investigating to see what can be done. I know the sct x2 can change the info, but I wanted the speedo to be right on the stock settings, before the sct changes anything. Thats the whole reason I paid the dealer money. Now there telling me they cant make the change. I am getting ****ed at these people that are supposed to know this sort of stuff.
Old 2/7/07, 08:23 AM
Cobra R Member

Well I have some bad news and some good news. The bad news is ford cant update the computers any longer with there ids computer system for gear changes. They cant fix my speedo problem. So the good news is that they are probably going to have to order me a procal tool from ford racing to fix it. They did not know there was an issue with 06-07 updating the software. Secondly I took a ride with the mechanic and all is well with the gears, noise is normal/ seats are back to normal position, I had them down and it transferred the noise a little better. They are a little more noise/feeling when coming off the highway due to the steeper gears, etc. The car runs like a beast. So took back to dealer to have them fix what appears to be a leak from the rear end cover or pinion seal. Also they are making the calls to figure out the speedo thing or get me procal tool from ford racing. So some bad, and some good. As long as it all gets fixed at there cost I am fine, they put me in a rental no charge again, so all good.
Old 2/7/07, 12:44 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At least they are working on it, and haven't just said "sorry". Hope you get it figured out!!
Old 2/8/07, 12:16 AM
Former Vendor

Yeah, thats pretty cool of them to go the extra mile for you. Still a pain in the ***, though.