GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Gear install question

Search this Thread

Old 12/27/10, 12:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gear install question

I was wondering which kit should I get when I decide to have my stock gears swapped out for 410's on my 05 GT?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/rearendrebuild.htm

or

http://www.americanmuscle.com/moinkit8re.html

I do not drag race the car or run it hard or anything like that. Only the very occasional sprint.....mostly a show car as I drive it less than 3000 miles a year during the summer on my days or time off work.

Can hardly wait to get a little bit of that neck snapping feel that everyone has been raving about.
Old 12/27/10, 01:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Oh yes....forgot to mention my car only has about 14,000 miles.
Old 12/27/10, 04:26 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I used the more expense kit that includes the bearings. My reasoning was because it is possible to damage the pinion bearings when they are being pressed off the old pinion gear and put back on the new gear. And I also had over 30K on my car.
Old 12/27/10, 05:17 AM

If you get ford racing gears you won't need all the shims. I don't recall having to ever reshim using ford gears. All you need is oil, silicon, a crush sleeve and a new pinion nut. You should be able to reuse the bearings, there is a shim under the bearing you are going to need, and the bearing is available at any auto parts store if you do damage it.
Old 12/29/10, 12:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Right now, I am thinking of just going with the full kit with the bearings. I guess it is better to be safe than sorry......as I would not want to have the job re-done because I did not spend an extra $40 for the kit.

Is there anyone else out there who can chime in who has had the gears swapped out of their S197 stang?
Old 12/29/10, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by 5pointoh
Right now, I am thinking of just going with the full kit with the bearings. I guess it is better to be safe than sorry......as I would not want to have the job re-done because I did not spend an extra $40 for the kit.

Is there anyone else out there who can chime in who has had the gears swapped out of their S197 stang?
You really don't need all that stuff, and don't use a gasket, use silicon. You are going to have to use it any way on the gasket because the stock cover is bound to leak with a gasket only. 8.8 come with silicon from the factory.
Old 1/2/11, 02:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

There has got to be some more guys who have had the gears changed??
Old 1/2/11, 02:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are going to be tearing it apart change whatever you can while in there. That's my opinion.

Realistically you only need the install kit but I always change whatever I can while I have something apart. Also you never know what could happen or what you may need. Sure you MIGHT not have to re shim but I can tell you I did. It would suck not to have everything you need while in the middle of the job for the sake of $35 more.
Old 1/2/11, 03:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Whosit
If you are going to be tearing it apart change whatever you can while in there. That's my opinion.

Realistically you only need the install kit but I always change whatever I can while I have something apart. Also you never know what could happen or what you may need. Sure you MIGHT not have to re shim but I can tell you I did. It would suck not to have everything you need while in the middle of the job for the sake of $35 more.
Ah another fellow canadian chiming in!

Yes, I was thinking the same as you. Though I only have about 22K on my 05 I will probably end up getting the install kit along with the bearings. FRPP has a few different kits. Is this the kit you are referring to?

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=5956

I think this kit is basically the install kit plus the bearings.
Old 1/2/11, 03:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had this kit but for the 2005+
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=5957

I changed the axle seals and everything at the same time. The kit you show says it's for IRS which you don't have but not sure there is any difference. As long as you don't mess your axle seals up when you pull the axles those will be fine. The other thing I did which was above and beyond was pulled the whole axle off the car and did it on my bench. Made it so much easier especially if you have to mess around setting the gear up.
Old 1/2/11, 03:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Whosit
I had this kit but for the 2005+
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=5957

I changed the axle seals and everything at the same time. The kit you show says it's for IRS which you don't have but not sure there is any difference. As long as you don't mess your axle seals up when you pull the axles those will be fine. The other thing I did which was above and beyond was pulled the whole axle off the car and did it on my bench. Made it so much easier especially if you have to mess around setting the gear up.
Thanks for you input. For the gears, I am definitely going to leave this one up to the shop. This is well beyond my scope in terms of DIY!
Old 1/2/11, 04:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Good move - unless you've done gears a lot, find someone who has

I've had the gears done on my old '96 and my '05 and both times I was happy to pay my shop to do the job. They know what they are doing and I had no problems either time. I used FRPP gears.
Old 1/2/11, 07:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

I was brave (broke) and changed my clutch cause I had no option and ended up doing a good job but I have read countless gear threads and that one is beyond my scope
Old 1/2/11, 07:51 PM
V6 Member

Get the Ford Racing gears (They are stronger gears and they also tend to have less stories of gear whine),
and GET the MASTER install kit that includes shims and everything. I have heard many people talk about these parts not working well
when the gears are changed even with low mileage. I know a couple of VERY reputable shops that refuse to install gears without the master install kit no matter the mileage because of how many times they have had to go BACK in after.

Get the gears and pay the 100 bucks for the master install kit.
Do it right the first time and peace of mind. Nothing wrong with a hundred dollar "just in case" vs. a going back in that pains your *** lol.
Old 1/2/11, 08:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
Get the Ford Racing gears (They are stronger gears and they also tend to have less stories of gear whine),
and GET the MASTER install kit that includes shims and everything. I have heard many people talk about these parts not working well
when the gears are changed even with low mileage. I know a couple of VERY reputable shops that refuse to install gears without the master install kit no matter the mileage because of how many times they have had to go BACK in after.

Do it right the first time and peace of mind. Nothing wrong with a hundred dollar "just in case" vs. a going back in that pains your *** lol.
The reg install kit + the bearing kit it will be! Yes, gears is one of those things that many professional mechanics dont even want to do. I will definitely look for a good shop to do it.

What have you guys paid for this install and how long does it take?
Old 1/3/11, 06:50 PM

Definately use FRPP gear sets as they have an outstanding track record. The pinion bearings and original shims can be reused if not damaged, as the shim is selected specific to the bearings using a special tool set up in the rear housing. The side carrier shims usually have to be changed to obtain the proper backlash, which is crucial to a quiet rear end. It's not a bad idea to get the "Master kit", however not necessary if the install is done correctly.
The gear install should cost you 4-5 hrs labor and an additional 2-3 hrs for the "master kit" install which includes all bearings and seals R&R
Old 1/3/11, 10:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Blacksmoke

+1. My installer insisted on a full rebuild kit even though the car only had 8,000 miles on it. The job was a rear end rebuild and came with a no whine warrentee. They do not whine at any speed or load. Google on me to read more of how it all went.
Old 1/3/11, 11:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Cusp
+1. My installer insisted on a full rebuild kit even though the car only had 8,000 miles on it. The job was a rear end rebuild and came with a no whine warrentee. They do not whine at any speed or load. Google on me to read more of how it all went.
What did it end up costing and how many hours labour? What ratio did you get and how do you find them?
Old 1/3/11, 11:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by SteedaSupport
Definately use FRPP gear sets as they have an outstanding track record. The pinion bearings and original shims can be reused if not damaged, as the shim is selected specific to the bearings using a special tool set up in the rear housing. The side carrier shims usually have to be changed to obtain the proper backlash, which is crucial to a quiet rear end. It's not a bad idea to get the "Master kit", however not necessary if the install is done correctly.
The gear install should cost you 4-5 hrs labor and an additional 2-3 hrs for the "master kit" install which includes all bearings and seals R&R
Yes, definitely getting FRPP gears. BuyFordRacing seems to have the best price.....$139 shipped.

Does it really cost that much more to have the bearings installed?
Old 1/13/11, 09:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Just talked to a couple of shops and they said no need for me to get the bearing kit based on my low mileage.....the basic kit should do. They are guaranteeing no whine.

Quick Reply: Gear install question