GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Fuel pump upgrade options

Search this Thread

Old 10/21/17, 11:31 AM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Fuel pump upgrade options

What high flow drop-in replacement fuel pumps are available for the 05-09 S197 GTs? I see that most blower kits include a fuel pump that requires cutting/splicing the stock wiring harness to slip in the replacement, or to have a piggyback fuel pump. I'd rather much just swap out the entire basket/float assembly like I see with the OE replacement pumps. Is there such a replacement available? I don't want to get the GT500 dual-pump replacement kit from FRPP because A). It's $800 B). I won't need that much fuel capacity. I see a few Walbro's available that *might* work, but will these require a new tune? What about long-term reliability? E85 compatibility?

I'm planning to install a some kind of blower on my 07 GT and everything about it seems easy to install, except I'm not comfortable with ghetto rigging the fuel pump. If I am taking the time to pull out the rear seat and stock pump assembly, I want to get a direct-fit/drop-in fuel pump replacement. I prefer not to cut/splice/solder in a fuel pump. Doing some math, the stock 3V only handles about 525 hp, so that's about 60 lb/min max airflow. With E10 93 octane at 0.8 lambda, we're talking about a pump that needs to flow 6.3 lb/min with a 15% safety factor, so 56.7 gal/h or about 214 lph. Is there a quality/reliable drop-in complete fuel pump replacement that would fit this requirement? Would it require a new tune for the fuel pump?
Old 10/22/17, 10:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
You may want to consider a DeatschWerks fuel pump. They drop in just like the original pump with no modifications. It supports 600+ hp. The flow rate is 340LPH. I had one installed when I had my Paxton SC installed. I also went with a Kenne Bell Boost A Pump. The fuel pump is about $170 and the Boost A Pump $280.
Old 10/23/17, 02:03 AM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I looked at that DW300, and there seems to be a lot of complaints of failure for that pump. When did you have that pump installed?
Old 10/23/17, 11:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Just get the GT500 pump's. Trust me, Sounds like your not comfortable with doing wiring so the GT500 ones are plug and play(and tune, but that will be with any pump) with the proper module, extensions and harnesses. When I did it it was just connecting the connectors. No cutting, no splicing.
Old 10/23/17, 10:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
metroplex, I installed that pump about a year ago. It's plug and play, very easy install. So far so good, never a problem and the engine hasn't starved.