GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Fuel Problem need Help

Search this Thread

Old 2/6/08, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Problem need Help

First off I'm new to this board and just want to say thanks for the advice before I get started. Ok so here it goes....

When driving from 2-3, when 3rd hits at about 3k RPM the motor starts spurting and doesn't go any faster. same RPM for 3-4-5 gears. car wont top over 90 now?

TSB 06-9-9 is Fuel Pump-fixed twice.
Fuel Filter(AZ)-fixed tonight.

I have no idea what it could be. No DTC codes thrown. Anyone know what it is or have that same problem. Ford has 4 TSB's for fuel problems and 2 ignition problems and this seems like a fuel delivery problem to me. HELP
Old 2/6/08, 08:08 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like it is running out of fuel.................I'd get it to the dealership asap (especially if still under warranty) and make em fix whatever it is.
Old 2/6/08, 08:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Knowing the pump and the filter is new / fine, you need to start looking at the conduit. The tubing can sometimes be pinched at a point along the rail by a rock or something contacting it. Cameron's Hydraulic Data (book for engineering nerds on hydraulics) shows flows for fuel and water through pipes. The factory fuel tubes under the car are sized to be as small as possible ($$$) and still carry the correct fluid volume.

Bottom line, if a fitting or a tube is a restriction, full flow will not occur and you will see the issue you described.
Old 2/6/08, 09:18 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since you said it is the same rpm for all gears, it sounds more like the rev limiter to me. Have you checked with your X-Cal to make sure you didn't somehow load a tune with a 3K rev limit? You can change the rev limiter with the X-Cal in the options menus. If nothing else, it is always an easy procedure to reload the tune and see if that makes a difference. Better than a dealership visit.