GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

fuel injection additive

Old 5/26/06, 05:02 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel injection additive

I am interested on thoughts people have on using fuel injection cleaner, and if so, what type?
Old 5/26/06, 07:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by lwing18
I am interested on thoughts people have on using fuel injection cleaner, and if so, what type?
I believe in STP's Super Concentrated Complete Fuel System Cleaner. The one in the silver/gray bottle for around six to seven dollars. I add a bottle every 4,000 miles, about 350 miles prior to changing my oil at every 4,000 miles.
I had an old beater that had stalling and hesitation problems that would occur at highway speeds, just as if the fuel was almost completely shut off. I was told the problem was that the fuel tank was rusting from inside, and that the solution was to replace the tank. I never did it because the tank repair was worth more than the car. I tried every cleaner out there, none of them helped for more than a day or two. I would add one bottle of the STP and I was good to go for weeks. Everytime I had the problem, one bottle, and I was good to go for weeks. Obviously, I was adding this more than the recommended only every 4,000 miles, but it was the only product that worked.
Notice that I said "Complete Fuel System" Cleaner and not the fuel injector cleaner in the black bottle.
Old 5/26/06, 08:48 AM

Chevron Techron is recommended by more auto manufacturers than anything else and it does a great job...just make sure you use the
" Techron "over their other products
Old 5/26/06, 10:06 AM
GT Member

Just buy any grade of Chevron or Texaco gas and it already has the Techron in it.....
Old 5/26/06, 03:34 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by T Town Bobby D
Chevron Techron is recommended by more auto manufacturers than anything else and it does a great job...just make sure you use the
" Techron "over their other products

Ditto...
Old 5/26/06, 04:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

I've tried just about everything. Techron, STP, Outlaw, etc. The only stuff I can say stay away from is Gumout. The stuff is nothing but kerosene, and my old car ran like junk with it in the tank. I havn't had any fuel related problems with any car yet, neither has anybody in my family, and they all use different stuff.

If it's expensive, it has to be good.
Old 5/26/06, 09:41 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've heard not to use any of the stuff Period
Old 5/27/06, 01:07 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Boltzman
I've heard not to use any of the stuff Period

same here....................
Old 5/27/06, 03:03 AM
Bullitt Member

it wont do anything bad to your car. some people think it doesnt do anything thats why they say not to use that stuff. i personally have found my car idle smoother and accelerate nicer when i used it in my old car.
Old 5/27/06, 08:11 AM
Cobra Member

I really think their a waste of money. We'd like to think were helping the engine to run better. The filter is more important.
Old 5/27/06, 08:05 PM
GT Member

This is what I would recommend if you were to use an additive:

http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...tid=2&loc=show
Old 5/28/06, 08:21 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Badsnke98
I really think their a waste of money. We'd like to think were helping the engine to run better. The filter is more important.
I feel the same way.

I would recommend a motor vac once a year or every other year.
This is a fuel injection cleaning machine that hooks right up to the fuel line/rail and runs the car directly on the cleaner, works awesome, especially GM cars suck this stuff right up with their sticky injectors.
Old 6/7/06, 05:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

the only time i can see this stuff working is in a old @ss beater. i had an old dub, a 92 jetta, that i used for pizza delivery and i used to run it onto fumes all the time, i didnt care about the motor and wanted to kill it so i could slap a vr6 in. anyways, after a while it started getting all this hesitation and running like crap. i ran some of that injector cleaner, i belive the techron, like 2 bottles in a row and it fixed it. that stuff is prob all pretty much the same, and i would say it wont do anything in our cars since they are new. maybe when they are 10 years old with 200,000k miles on them, then it will. save your money meng! o and BTW i finally killed the motor, got a vr6 slapped in, and a month later some mo-ron in an explorer hit the back of it and totaled it!
Old 6/30/06, 09:36 PM
TDS
Super Moderator
TMS Staff

Try some REDLINE OIL SI-1 fuel treatment. It is a detergent that will remove the gasoline detergent buildup off any thing that gas touches in the engine. Simply add 1 bottle to a full tank of fuel for quick cleanup or the bottle is pre-measured for 10 gal. adds. Can be added at each fillup or when ever is needed.

Techron is good stuff also, just remember that the gasoline distributor don't always get enough in their tanker loads. A little extra will not hurt anything.

TDS