GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

FRPP Handling Pack questions

Search this Thread

Old 1/17/08, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FRPP Handling Pack questions

I have noticed that two handling packs are available. One for the GT Coupe P/N M-2005-FR3 and a Shelby Pack P/N M-2005-FR3S.
What are the differences?
Also can you use these kits on the GT Convertables, because is spacificaly says Coupe for the P/N M-2005-FR3?
Does anyone have any feed back on thes kits, do you like them?
Old 1/17/08, 10:14 AM
Bullitt Member

Vert has slightly different suspension. Rear swaybar requires different end links. I believe that is the only change you'd have to make. I looked that this setup -- but went with the Steeda because it lowers a bit less and I think that the ride is better -- particularly with the Tokico's. Take a look at the lowering your mustang sticky for lots of info and comments on peoples' various setups.
Old 1/17/08, 10:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

The Shelby GT Convertible is supposed to have additional bracing, anyone have an idea what it is? part numbers?
Old 1/17/08, 10:18 AM
Bullitt Member

K brace is all I'm aware of -- that's on all Verts
Old 1/17/08, 10:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Mike,

Do you have any link to aftermarket K members?
Thanks.
Old 1/17/08, 10:35 PM
Bullitt Member

I have the frpp handling pack. It works well. I can tell you that the dampners aren't very good tho and they make the ride rougher than it has to be. I am thinking of switching them out for some d-specs.
Old 1/18/08, 06:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by The Reverend
Mike,

Do you have any link to aftermarket K members?
Thanks.
Just googling finds maximum motorsports, steeda and others with widely differing products. What I've read is that the stock ones do the job on the verts.
Old 1/18/08, 12:04 PM

I called FRPP Technical support to ask the same Questions and they told me that they do not have a kit available for the GT convertable yet, the P/N M-2005-FR3 is only for the coupe, and that they are working on a kit for the Vert. I asked about the P/N M-2005-FR3S and they told me that that is the same kit but is is only sold to Shelby Las Vegas.
Old 1/18/08, 03:01 PM
V6 Member

I installed that kit on the wife's 'vert and it works fine.

~Mike~
Old 1/18/08, 11:02 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 2kanchoo
I have the frpp handling pack. It works well. I can tell you that the dampners aren't very good tho and they make the ride rougher than it has to be. I am thinking of switching them out for some d-specs.
I find them to be pretty good, at first I was worried about compliance, but they really do thier thing when your burning up the road (so to speak), under regular driving the FRPP struts/shocks are kind of harsh, but the FR3 handling pack was developed for folks who wanted a track day suspension without having to do thier homework (ie, fiddle with bar/spring/damper rates).

However (And this isn't just a FR3 problem) when you lower the car, whatever kit is used, it would be wise to consider purchasing; adj panhard rod, adj UCA (or LCAs), LCA relocating brackets, alignment kit, and something to relocate the front suspension.

Lowering the car effects both roll and instant center which and all that relocating stuff restores proper geometry (or better geometry) to the car (panhard rod aside since it still isn't level with the axle, to do so would require a bracket that would allow adjustability - steeda makes a double adj panhard rod, but I imagine its not a simple bolt in affair).

The FR3 kit does an excellent job, but the car really benefits from a switch from all-season to summer tires.

with the FR3 kit and summer tires I was able to add 15 mph to my speed around this turn

Old 1/18/08, 11:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by bob
I find them to be pretty good, at first I was worried about compliance, but they really do thier thing when your burning up the road (so to speak), under regular driving the FRPP struts/shocks are kind of harsh, but the FR3 handling pack was developed for folks who wanted a track day suspension without having to do thier homework (ie, fiddle with bar/spring/damper rates).

However (And this isn't just a FR3 problem) when you lower the car, whatever kit is used, it would be wise to consider purchasing; adj panhard rod, adj UCA (or LCAs), LCA relocating brackets, alignment kit, and something to relocate the front suspension.

Lowering the car effects both roll and instant center which and all that relocating stuff restores proper geometry (or better geometry) to the car (panhard rod aside since it still isn't level with the axle, to do so would require a bracket that would allow adjustability - steeda makes a double adj panhard rod, but I imagine its not a simple bolt in affair).

The FR3 kit does an excellent job, but the car really benefits from a switch from all-season to summer tires.

with the FR3 kit and summer tires I was able to add 15 mph to my speed around this turn
Yea I totally agree about carving the curves, it was regular road driving I was talking about. I agree with all the rest as well.
Old 1/18/08, 11:15 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Yeah, you will feel the bumps in the road with the FR3 kit, the springs alone are 60% stiffer than the manual GT springs (btw, GT500 springs are 40% stiffer than regular GT springs, and the GT500 strut mounts are 28% - IIRC - harder in durometer than the GT strut mounts).
Old 1/18/08, 11:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

The ride is definitely much rougher.

You will feel every bump in the road. If that is something you are not ready for, then I would not go with the FR#, as it can be very harsh, such as on northern roads or road under construction, i.e., lots of seams and elevatin changes, even slight.

However, It is a f^ck!n blast around corners and changing lanes. The car just squats and goes. Minimal body roll and minimal sway. When I change from my 07 GT t my wife's crossover wusuvee I feel like I am driving a boat and get all kinds of grief because she thinks I am taking corners way too fast (she's right of course as I'm used to quick, tight cornering!).

Ultimately, your call on what you want to live with. My wife won't ride in my car much though because the ride can be so harsh (not always a bad thing and keeps the mileage down), it depends upon where we are going!!

Oh yeah, and it looks killer, light years better than the stock 4x4 look!!!!!