GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

FRPP-GTA vs. Pypes Violator vs. MAC ?

Search this Thread

Old 1/29/07, 07:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
FRPP-GTA vs. Pypes Violator vs. MAC ?

Anyone heard all three of these and how would you rate their loudness as compared to each other and/or to stock?

Also do the Pypes drone? Most say GTA's = no drone and MAC = moderate drone but I haven't heard anything about the Violators.
Old 1/29/07, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fords4Ever
Anyone heard all three of these and how would you rate their loudness as compared to each other and/or to stock?

Also do the Pypes drone? Most say GTA's = no drone and MAC = moderate drone but I haven't heard anything about the Violators.
My understanding is that the Violators drone. My GTAs do not at all. Different strokes for different folks. To drone or not to drone, that is the question.
Old 1/29/07, 08:58 PM
Former Vendor

Pypes StreetPros is what I primarily sell on the Mustang axle-backs. That's what I've heard had the best sound. Then again... I don't really care much about "drone" "trumpeting" "resonance" "rasp" and all the other terms, I enjoy them.
Old 1/30/07, 07:44 AM
GT Member

Macs have a great sound outside the car. Inside the car they find all the rattles in about a month. On the highway I have to be doing about 68 to get over the droan in an auto. But, if you don't mind droan (I don't), you would LOVE this exhaust.
Old 1/30/07, 06:47 PM

No Drone

Installed GTAs last Sunday....no drone and I drive 40 minutes a day highway.....co-workers heard my car and went bonkers ...nice sound...and have NOT done CAI or Tune yet....next week......its JLT and Bamachips for me....anyway....the GTAs rock!...IMHO
Old 1/30/07, 08:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by TillmanSpeed
Pypes StreetPros is what I primarily sell on the Mustang axle-backs. That's what I've heard had the best sound. Then again... I don't really care much about "drone" "trumpeting" "resonance" "rasp" and all the other terms, I enjoy them.
What's the difference between the StreetPros and Violators?

Is anyone using either of these and experience drone or not?
Old 1/30/07, 08:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Twisted_Reality
Macs have a great sound outside the car. Inside the car they find all the rattles in about a month. On the highway I have to be doing about 68 to get over the droan in an auto. But, if you don't mind droan (I don't), you would LOVE this exhaust.
From the sound clips I've heard it seems like the MACs have that deep '68 Bullitt type sound I'm looking for but the drone makes me nervous 'cause mine is a daily driver.
Originally Posted by SpecOp1

Installed GTAs last Sunday....no drone and I drive 40 minutes a day highway.....co-workers heard my car and went bonkers ...nice sound...and have NOT done CAI or Tune yet....next week......its JLT and Bamachips for me....anyway....the GTAs rock!...IMHO
The GTA's sound like they may be the best compromise of louder/deeper than stock without drone.

Thanks guys.
Old 1/31/07, 02:01 PM
GT Member

****.....I think people are inflating the whole "drone" issue. I've got the MAC's, do they drone....yeah a little. Is it unbareable & would it make me change my mind and choose something else - hell no. I love this setup on my daily driver.

From the sound clips I've heard it seems like the MACs have that deep '68 Bullitt type sound I'm looking for but the drone makes me nervous 'cause mine is a daily driver.

The GTA's sound like they may be the best compromise of louder/deeper than stock without drone.

Thanks guys.
Old 1/31/07, 02:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Rudiepoo1
****.....I think people are inflating the whole "drone" issue. I've got the MAC's, do they drone....yeah a little. Is it unbareable & would it make me change my mind and choose something else - hell no. I love this setup on my daily driver.
Same thing with my stingers. Everyone seems worried about drone. The drone doesn't bother me at all.
Old 1/31/07, 03:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

It is really funny how there is such a wide difference of opinion on how bad or not bad the drone of certain mufflers are. I am one of those guys that just sold my Borla's and dropped back to the GTA's. I ran the Borla's for a year and still think they are the best sounding axle back out there for these cars. However, if you cruise much in that drone range( 55-65 mph) and can't carry on a conversation with your passenger or listen to the radio without shifting down a gear or out of OD so you can hear, well they just seem to lose some of their appeal after time. Is it really about how loud you can make your car or how aggressive sounding on the outside while livable on the inside. Just my opinion.
Scott
Old 1/31/07, 06:12 PM
Former Vendor

+1 for too much worry about "droan". This is a new one for me, too. Everyone that comes in wants a certain sound. The new mustangs are quiet inside, too. I've heard loud systems sound **** quiet from in the cabin!

For the guy who asked about the Pypes mufflers, the STREET PRO sounds very smooth at idle, but at throttle it has a nice loud tone to it. Nothing too raspy, but it makes some noise for sure. It's an actual chambered muffler. The VIOLATOR is a straight through design with like a chambered pipe that runs through the case... pretty much does little to nothing. NO RESTRICTION AT ALL! They're loud as hell... straight from Pypes "if you want to be noticed, this is your muffler!". If that's what you're looking for, they're right. They dont sound BAD, just loud.

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 1/31/07, 06:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
It is really funny how there is such a wide difference of opinion on how bad or not bad the drone of certain mufflers are. I am one of those guys that just sold my Borla's and dropped back to the GTA's. I ran the Borla's for a year and still think they are the best sounding axle back out there for these cars. However, if you cruise much in that drone range( 55-65 mph) and can't carry on a conversation with your passenger or listen to the radio without shifting down a gear or out of OD so you can hear, well they just seem to lose some of their appeal after time. Is it really about how loud you can make your car or how aggressive sounding on the outside while livable on the inside. Just my opinion.
Scott
I agree with your opinion! I guess all the talk of drone has me worried and I don't want to spend $200.00 - $500.00 to "learn" what drone really sounds like and if I can live with it.

+1 for too much worry about "droan". This is a new one for me, too. Everyone that comes in wants a certain sound. The new mustangs are quiet inside, too. I've heard loud systems sound **** quiet from in the cabin!

For the guy who asked about the Pypes mufflers, the STREET PRO sounds very smooth at idle, but at throttle it has a nice loud tone to it. Nothing too raspy, but it makes some noise for sure. It's an actual chambered muffler. The VIOLATOR is a straight through design with like a chambered pipe that runs through the case... pretty much does little to nothing. NO RESTRICTION AT ALL! They're loud as hell... straight from Pypes "if you want to be noticed, this is your muffler!". If that's what you're looking for, they're right. They dont sound BAD, just loud.

CR
Tillman Speed
Thanks for the info on the Pypes, sounds like the Violators are close to SLP Loud Mouths and STREET PRO is maybe like the GTA's
Old 1/31/07, 09:32 PM
Former Vendor

Thanks for the info on the Pypes, sounds like the Violators are close to SLP Loud Mouths and STREET PRO is maybe like the GTA's
Very good comparisons! Couldn't have said it any better.

The Pypes Violator is designed like a magnaflow, but comes out sounding like a glasspack or LoudMouth.

The Pypes Street Pro is designed like a flowmaster, and comes out sounding... well... it's got sounds from Flowmaster, MAC, and GTA's in it.

I love those Street Pros!
Old 2/1/07, 04:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I agree with your opinion! I guess all the talk of drone has me worried and I don't want to spend $200.00 - $500.00 to "learn" what drone really sounds like and if I can live with it.

Kelly,
If you have never experienced muffler drone and what it is do this. Stick you fingers in your ears...now hum kinda loud. You are now experiencing what drone sounds like when drive in the 1800-2100 rpm range. If you don't like it...get the GTA's
Scott
Old 5/3/07, 09:23 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Maybe I'm just used to my completely straight thru setup on my '05, but I just recently installed the Violators on my '07 and they are NOT loud! They sound good, don't get me wrong. But my next purchase is some sort of off road pipe. They're deeper than stock and have a good burble, but they're NOT loud by any means.
Old 5/5/07, 11:48 AM
Bullitt Member

MACs with O/R H-PIPE IS THE BEST EVER!!!!! MEATY!!! SO LOUD OLD SCHOOL!!!! MACs FTW!!!
Old 5/5/07, 10:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by DarkFireGT
Maybe I'm just used to my completely straight thru setup on my '05, but I just recently installed the Violators on my '07 and they are NOT loud! They sound good, don't get me wrong. But my next purchase is some sort of off road pipe. They're deeper than stock and have a good burble, but they're NOT loud by any means.
What are the chances you got Pypes Street Pros instead of Violators?

Have you heard GTA's? If so are the violators louder than those?
Old 10/5/07, 09:01 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Magnaflows are straight-through as well but are one of the quietest aftermarket mufflers.

I'd like to see someone cut apart a Borla Stinger to see exactly what was done to make them so loud.
Old 10/5/07, 12:23 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,008 Likes on 1,625 Posts
Very good comparisons! Couldn't have said it any better.

The Pypes Violator is designed like a magnaflow, but comes out sounding like a glasspack or LoudMouth.

The Pypes Street Pro is designed like a flowmaster, and comes out sounding... well... it's got sounds from Flowmaster, MAC, and GTA's in it.

I love those Street Pros!
I totally disagree with everything you've posted concerning the Pypes Violators. The fact is ! I've compared them side by side, with 2 friends of mine, who both own 06 GT's. One has GTA's, and the other has MAC's..Upon completion of the sound comparision, we all agreed the MAC's were by far the loudest, followed by the GTA's..But on the other hand ! we also agreed, my Violators were actually the most quiet. However, I also run the Violators with my factory cats, and stock H-pipe, so perhaps this may explain why their not nearly as loud, as those who are running off road mid pipes In addition, I've experienced very little or no drone at all, while at idle, and during low/mid range RPM's.
Old 10/5/07, 12:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Even the videos of GTs with Violators show that they're quiet, almost like stock mufflers.

Quick Reply: FRPP-GTA vs. Pypes Violator vs. MAC ?