GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

FRPP Ceramic Coated Shorty Headers

Search this Thread

Old 5/21/05, 11:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For those of you that have installed your own headers (shorty or long tube) I have a new found respect for you. I just installed mine today by myself using only Rhino ramps and jack stands in my garage. What a bear - don't remember it being that difficult when I was 20! Took about 6 hours from start to finish including putting vehicle up on stands and taking down from stands when complete. Didn't get to drive it yet as I am installing Steeda Charge Motion Delete Plates next. Will be dyno'd on Wednesday at DiabloSport.
Old 5/21/05, 01:25 PM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It wasn't that difficult when you were 20!
Old 5/21/05, 02:51 PM

Those are the smog legal ones right? Trying to decide between those or the JBAs.
Old 5/21/05, 03:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Florida doesn't have state inspections - Perhaps someone else can chime in and answer that question.

Concerning the FRPPs: Fit and quality was excellent! I found the ceramic coated one's for $399.00. Can't speak for the JBAs.
Old 5/21/05, 04:01 PM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by ph33rlsn@May 21, 2005, 1:54 PM
Those are the smog legal ones right? Trying to decide between those or the JBAs.

JBA's are the only ones I know of that are smog legal with C.A.R.B. # on them for California.

Paul
Old 5/21/05, 07:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by tmcolegr@May 21, 2005, 3:12 PM
Florida doesn't have state inspections - Perhaps someone else can chime in and answer that question.

Concerning the FRPPs: Fit and quality was excellent! I found the ceramic coated one's for $399.00. Can't speak for the JBAs.
Could you please give someone a "hint" as to where you were able to find the coated shorties for that price?

Concerning FL w/ no inspections, it was not always that way. I am sure at some point in the future there will be again.
Old 5/21/05, 07:36 PM
V6 Member

Can you feel a hp increase from the seat of your pants meter?
Old 5/21/05, 08:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Powered by Ford in Orlando FL (407) 843-3673

http://www.poweredbyford.com/

Concerning "seat of the pants feel" that will be difficult to say as I installed the Steeda Charge Motion Delete Plates at the same time.

"Seat of the pants feel" can be misleading. Let me dyno the vehicle on Wednesday and I will post the results.
Old 5/21/05, 09:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

Where are the pics? I want to see those beautiful ceramic coated pipes.
Old 5/21/05, 10:05 PM
V6 Member

Old 5/21/05, 10:25 PM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by tmcolegr@May 21, 2005, 8:00 PM
Powered by Ford in Orlando FL (407) 843-3673

"Seat of the pants feel" can be misleading. Let me dyno the vehicle on Wednesday and I will post the results.

Todd, what are your dyno results before the shorty install?

Tks,

Paul
Old 5/22/05, 04:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Stock baseline was 248 RWHP. Then added the C&L CAI & Predator Custom Tune - 272 RWHP, 285 RWTQ. Since then I have added the shorty headers, charge motion delete plates and underdrive pulleys. Trying to reach 300 RWHP. Not as easy as with an manual transmission vehicle. As everyone knows you must have more flywheel HP with an automatic than with a manual to make the same RWHP due to higher HP loss with an automatic.

I have MagnaFlow AxleBack mufflers but they do not increase HP. The 4.10 gears also were a big improvement but no HP gain with those either.
Old 5/22/05, 05:57 AM
Cobra Member

Nice price find on those headers. Definitely let us know how they work out.
You say that you have a Predator custom tune. Was it done at Diablo, or was it the custom tune that came with the C&L, or the C&L tune off of Diablo's web site?
Reason I am asking is because your numbers seem kind of low.
Old 5/22/05, 06:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

The tune was made for my vehicle at DiabloSport in Delray Beach. The tune was installed by DiabloSport and then dyno'd by DiabloSport using their Superflow Dyno. One reason the numbers seem lower than others is because of the Superflow Dyno. Most facilities use either a Mustang or Dynojet dyno. Very few of those are "load bearing" dynos. I'm sure if I had my vehicle dyno'd using either of those dynos HP would be higher.
Old 5/22/05, 04:10 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by tmcolegr@May 22, 2005, 6:26 AM
The tune was made for my vehicle at DiabloSport in Delray Beach. The tune was installed by DiabloSport and then dyno'd by DiabloSport using their Superflow Dyno. One reason the numbers seem lower than others is because of the Superflow Dyno. Most facilities use either a Mustang or Dynojet dyno. Very few of those are "load bearing" dynos. I'm sure if I had my vehicle dyno'd using either oif those dynos HP would be higher.
Can't wait to see what difference the headers and CM plates make. Seriously looking at that same configuration for mine.
Old 6/2/05, 09:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by tmcolegr@May 22, 2005, 6:26 AM
The tune was made for my vehicle at DiabloSport in Delray Beach. The tune was installed by DiabloSport and then dyno'd by DiabloSport using their Superflow Dyno. One reason the numbers seem lower than others is because of the Superflow Dyno. Most facilities use either a Mustang or Dynojet dyno. Very few of those are "load bearing" dynos. I'm sure if I had my vehicle dyno'd using either of those dynos HP would be higher.
Any further updates on the gains from the headers/delete plates? Also, did you need to add the new Steeda engine mounts?
Old 6/3/05, 03:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Gains were not what I had hoped for. Charge motion delete plates, shorty headers and underdrive pulleys only increased RWHP by 10 and torque by 8. Lot of work and money for 10 RWHP and 8 RWTQ.

However, I do like the sound of the shorty headers and vehicle does pull stronger on bottom end and midrange. Not to mention the ceramic coated headers really look nice. I know most people will say that shorty's are more for top end but these seem to have increased bottom end torque as well - could also be the result of the custom tuning. Throttle response also seems better probably as a result of the underdrive pulleys and tuning. I have not noticed any throttle response issues after installing the charge motion delete plates as some have mentioned. However my vehicle is also equipped with an automatic which may help.

My next step to improve RWHP/RWTQ will be to install a Magnaflow catted X-pipe - already sitting in my garage.

No I did not replace the factory engine mounts. Headers also do not interfere with steering linkage either.
Old 6/3/05, 04:56 AM
Bullitt Member

I think you are thinking about the headers a little backwards Todd. Shorties are more for bottem end and Long tubes are for top end. That does sound like a bummer after all that work, but I'm glad you found out for us.
Old 6/3/05, 06:42 AM
Bullitt Member

You are correct lucky. Shorties are for the low/mid range and long tubes for the top. The long tubes would be better suited for someone who would go to the track a lot. Better to run in the high rpm's. I want something for the street so these would be perfect.
Old 6/3/05, 06:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by tmcolegr@June 3, 2005, 3:45 AM
Gains were not what I had hoped for. Charge motion delete plates, shorty headers and underdrive pulleys only increased RWHP by 10 and torque by 8. Lot of work and money for 10 RWHP and 8 RWTQ.

However, I do like the sound of the shorty headers and vehicle does pull stronger on bottom end and midrange. Not to mention the ceramic coated headers really look nice. I know most people will say that shorty's are more for top end but these seem to have increased bottom end torque as well - could also be the result of the custom tuning. Throttle response also seems better probably as a result of the underdrive pulleys and tuning. I have not noticed any throttle response issues after installing the charge motion delete plates as some have mentioned. However my vehicle is also equipped with an automatic which may help.

My next step to improve RWHP/RWTQ will be to install a Magnaflow catted X-pipe - already sitting in my garage.

No I did not replace the factory engine mounts. Headers also do not interfere with steering linkage either.

TMCOLEGR, do you have an updated dyno sheet showing the improvements? I don't worry about just the peak #'s, but the improvement on average and throughout the whole rpm range.