GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

FRPP CAI for the new 07 GT's????

Search this Thread

Old 1/21/07, 02:28 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question FRPP CAI for the new 07 GT's????

I have two concerns about getting a FRPP CAI and Ford tune for my wife's GTCS. I have read that the 07 have a different tune needs. Is this addressed by FRPP in their tune that comes with the kit? What octane fuel does it require?

Also, I know with the Xcal2, we can flash back to stock tune. Can you do the same with the FRPP hand held tuner?

Thanks
Old 1/21/07, 02:49 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you abolutely set on the FRPP CAI and tune? There are better ones out there IMO for about the same cost.
Old 1/21/07, 03:15 PM
Cobra R Member

yea, it fits the GTCS look I am going for. In got the FRPP Strut tower brace and blue valve covers
Old 1/21/07, 03:22 PM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,792 Posts
Dude do yourself a favor ? don't waste your time and money on the FRPP hand held device, you'll end up being nothing but disapointed, all their device does it just load up a very conservative 91 octane tune that's only good for the cold air kit and if you should decide down the road that you want to add more mods ? the device doesn't allow the end user to make any changes or adjustments...If your really set on the FRPP cold air ? Steeda is actually who designs the CAI for Ford and you can order both the Steeda/FRPP cold air intake with the X-CAL II tuner combo from Brenspeed for $ 675.00 here's the website www.brenspeed.com
Old 1/21/07, 03:27 PM
GT Member

I have the 07 tune in my GT/CS. It was a real pain, cause it took quite awhile to get the calibrations. I have to run 92 Octane with the tune. I stayed with it because of the Ford Warranty. If the Warrnaty is not an issue, then I would recommend that you look elsewhere. I you are like me, and want the warranty to be honored, then it is quite an improvement over stock.
Old 1/21/07, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by hp246
I have the 07 tune in my GT/CS. It was a real pain, cause it took quite awhile to get the calibrations. I have to run 92 Octane with the tune. I stayed with it because of the Ford Warranty. If the Warrnaty is not an issue, then I would recommend that you look elsewhere. I you are like me, and want the warranty to be honored, then it is quite an improvement over stock.
I really hate to disagree but that's not necessarily accurate ? for ie say if you the car owner installs the CAI and down the road something should go wrong with a warranted part ? If Ford can prove that your cold air intake was directly responsible for that warranted part to fail ? you pay for the repair..On the other hand ? if a Ford authorized dealership installs it and if you also get that in writting ? then your warranty remains intact..
Old 1/21/07, 04:07 PM
GT Member

The dealership I bought my car from is a Certified Ford Motorsport service center. The dealership said if I bought all the Ford Racing Parts at the time of purchase (on the same invoice as the car sale) and have it all installed through them; it would be covered under the warranty and not void my 5 year 60,000 mile and 3 year bumper-to-bumper warranty.

Nevertheless, I did make them put it in writing and made them promise to give me back my stock parts just in case I want to sell it later on or have emissions trouble.

Anyway, to offer Traffic142 question directly, I spoke to a Ford Racing representative over the phone. He explained to me that the FRPP kit comes with the Pro-Cal tool voucher, which you then register to receive the tool (via online). When you register they take down all of your info including that your car is a 07 Mustang and the state you live in for highest octane availability, and then they send you the tool (they claim in about one business day). When the tool comes it has the correct calibrations for a 07 Mustang and whatever the highest octane 91/92/93 available for you. I called them two weeks ago they said they just got the correct calibration codes for the new 07 Mustangs.

Yes, it true that other tunes will give you more horsepower with the FRPP parts, (in my humble opinion) for 30 RWHP (FRPP with someone elses tune) vs. the 20 RWHP (FRPP with Ford's tune from the Pro-cal tool) you should consider whether that extra 10HP is worth jeopardizing your warranty from Ford. If your dealer can guarantee in writing (as mine has) that adding the FRPP package will not affect your warranty, I would buy it and I did (the order is placed). You can always add a different tune later on if you're not happy with it.

BTW, the reps at Ford Racing are pretty helpful and will answer any technical questions you have. Just call the 800 number from the Ford Racing Parts website. I figure that if it's good enough for Shelby, it's good enough for me too.

~Ray
Old 1/21/07, 04:31 PM
Cobra R Member

I agree if I was gong to mod is more down the road, I would go with Bama and his JLT CAI. But this is the wife's daily driver....so this will be the only real performance mod, save a new set of Flows.

I also agree more power is to be had with other models. Look at my sig. I went with bama and am very pleased with his.

Still I need to know can you reflash back to stock with the ford tool??
Old 1/21/07, 04:57 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by traffic142
Still I need to know can you reflash back to stock with the ford tool??
Yes, The Pro-cal tool has a switch on it which will take you back to stock settings...

~Ray
Old 1/21/07, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by tifo
The dealership I bought my car from is a Certified Ford Motorsport service center. The dealership said if I bought all the Ford Racing Parts at the time of purchase (on the same invoice as the car sale) and have it all installed through them; it would be covered under the warranty and not void my 5 year 60,000 mile and 3 year bumper-to-bumper warranty.

Nevertheless, I did make them put it in writing and made them promise to give me back my stock parts just in case I want to sell it later on or have emissions trouble.

Anyway, to offer Traffic142 question directly, I spoke to a Ford Racing representative over the phone. He explained to me that the FRPP kit comes with the Pro-Cal tool voucher, which you then register to receive the tool (via online). When you register they take down all of your info including that your car is a 07 Mustang and the state you live in for highest octane availability, and then they send you the tool (they claim in about one business day). When the tool comes it has the correct calibrations for a 07 Mustang and whatever the highest octane 91/92/93 available for you. I called them two weeks ago they said they just got the correct calibration codes for the new 07 Mustangs.

Yes, it true that other tunes will give you more horsepower with the FRPP parts, (in my humble opinion) for 30 RWHP (FRPP with someone elses tune) vs. the 20 RWHP (FRPP with Ford's tune from the Pro-cal tool) you should consider whether that extra 10HP is worth jeopardizing your warranty from Ford. If your dealer can guarantee in writing (as mine has) that adding the FRPP package will not affect your warranty, I would buy it and I did (the order is placed). You can always add a different tune later on if you're not happy with it.

BTW, the reps at Ford Racing are pretty helpful and will answer any technical questions you have. Just call the 800 number from the Ford Racing Parts website. I figure that if it's good enough for Shelby, it's good enough for me too.

~Ray
You're very fortunate to have a Ford motorsport dealer, although I have a Ford/Roush dealer that I take my Stang for servicing ? it's just not the same..However once again ? if you did decide to go with a different tuner ? Ford has to prove within a reasonable doubt that your aftermarket tuner was directly responsible for causing the warranted parts in question to fail..btw if you don't mind me asking, what area is your Ford dealer located in ? if it's within driving distance, I'd be willing to make the trip should I need any warranty work done..
Old 1/21/07, 10:09 PM

Hey Ray,

If you don't mind me asking...

How much is the dealership charging you to put in the FRPP Power Pack? Did they break out the part and labor prices for you?

I have heard that if the performance parts are invoiced with the car, they will do 36/36,000 warranty on the installed parts. I have an 07 on the way and I want to get an idea of how much this might cost. I am waiting on a quote from my dealer.

Thanks!
Old 1/21/07, 10:34 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
You're very fortunate to have a Ford motorsport dealer, although I have a Ford/Roush dealer that I take my Stang for servicing ? it's just not the same..However once again ? if you did decide to go with a different tuner ? Ford has to prove within a reasonable doubt that your aftermarket tuner was directly responsible for causing the warranted parts in question to fail..btw if you don't mind me asking, what area is your Ford dealer located in ? if it's within driving distance, I'd be willing to make the trip should I need any warranty work done..
The dealership is Board Ford in Whittier, California.
Old 1/21/07, 11:28 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by ASU05GT
Hey Ray,

If you don't mind me asking...

How much is the dealership charging you to put in the FRPP Power Pack? Did they break out the part and labor prices for you?

I have heard that if the performance parts are invoiced with the car, they will do 36/36,000 warranty on the installed parts. I have an 07 on the way and I want to get an idea of how much this might cost. I am waiting on a quote from my dealer.

Thanks!
Yeah, the parts are invoiced with the car. I will have the following Ford Racing Products installed:

1. The Ford Racing Drag Pack (1479.00)
2. Ford Racing Handling Pack (1299.00)
3. Ford Racing X-pipe (139.00)
4. Mustang GT Muffler set M-5230-GTA (325.00)

Parts total: $3242.00

Motorsports Service labor charge: $98 per hour (yikes!)
estimated hours of work 25 hours...

Labor costs: $2450.00

Total: $5692.00

~Ray
Old 1/22/07, 06:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Wow I'd have installed those parts myself and saved some money. As for warranty all you have to do is know your dealer and their stance on performance mods, my dealer could care less what I added to mine. We even discussed modifications during the buying process.
Old 1/22/07, 07:47 AM
Cobra R Member

Right now, as long as I can retune it back to stock, throw the airbox back on......unless you BLOW the motor, I doubt the local dealer will have a big problem.

Shoot my car is so modded, I chose the warranty delete option.

Where is the cheapest place to find one???? So far, 684.00 is the best price. I checked Jegs, Moss, LMPerformance....any other places??
Old 1/22/07, 10:30 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
You actually BOUGHT a car from them???!??

When I was shopping for mine back in May of 2005 they were demanding a $15k rape charge on convertibles.

Even the FOCUS had rape charge stickers on them! It was beyond RIDICULOUS.

The salesman was such a jag-off that I swore I'd never return to that POS stealership as long as I live... (I bought my '89 GT there, good experience - NO MORE!)
Old 1/22/07, 11:42 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by mrkabc
You actually BOUGHT a car from them???!??

When I was shopping for mine back in May of 2005 they were demanding a $15k rape charge on convertibles.

Even the FOCUS had rape charge stickers on them! It was beyond RIDICULOUS.

The salesman was such a jag-off that I swore I'd never return to that POS stealership as long as I live... (I bought my '89 GT there, good experience - NO MORE!)
Ouch, I do remember back in 2005 (when I first went down to take a look at the newly released Mustang) that a salesperson was talking about the "Dealer's asking price", which is an additional $15,000 on top of the MSRP. I figured this was some sort of sales gimmick since the Mustang was a new model in great demand, and they were just using the Dealer's Asking Price" as a BS variable to never sell a car under the sticker price. I did pay pretty close to sticker (MSRP)on my special ordered 07 GT, but I'm pretty sure that sly game is being played for the Shelby GT500 and probably for the new Shelby GT. My sales rep was honest and a pretty nice guy...but it all depends on the individual you deal with.

~Ray
Old 1/22/07, 10:32 PM

Oh well, so much for that idea..
Old 1/23/07, 07:27 AM
Cobra R Member

Anyway, back to the subject at hand.

Is there any where I can get this for closer to 600 bucks and make it competitive with JLT and Bama tunes?

I have checked many places and still get the std. 689.00 for a FRPP.

heck, I can get a Bama/JLT for 549.00.........