GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

FRPP Brembo 14" brake upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 7/11/07, 08:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FRPP Brembo 14" brake upgrade

I REALLY want to do this upgrade, but I don't know if it will fit under the 18" bullits that came with the GT/CS package. The website call it a "Mustang GT 14" Barke Upgrade Kit", and says:

Product Details
Package Dimensions:16.00H x 15.00W x 17.00D Weight:85.35# Catalog Page:9Instruction Sheet:Click here to view the parts instruction sheet.Warranty Available:No
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
The wheels that they are refering to (GT500 wheels) have the following specs:

Package Dimensions:11.75H x 20.00W x 20.00D Weight:34.00# Catalog Page:7Instruction Sheet:N/AWarranty Available:No
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
My wheels have the following specs:

Package Dimensions:12.00H x 20.00W x 20.00D Weight:30.20# Catalog Page:31Instruction Sheet:N/AWarranty Available:No
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
So really the only difference is in the backspacing, which is defined as the distance from the mounting surface, to the inner lip of the rim, and in this case that difference in mine is less than ½".

Will they fit over the brakes? Has anyone doen this? The kit seems to be a good value for Brembos...

Here's the website...you need to explode the wheels part.

http://www.fordracingparts.com./must...2007#fromFlash
Old 7/11/07, 09:14 PM
GT Member

I have heard you need 18x9's for the 14" brake upgrades but am not totally sure. I'm not entriely sure why you would need a wider rim rather than a taller rim but thta is what Ive read in the past. I hvant come upon a brake kit yet though that requires more than an 18" rim.
Old 7/11/07, 09:17 PM
GT Member

you will need wheel spacers with stock wheels. look for a hubcentric scpaer, hr springs makes them
Old 7/11/07, 09:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

If you search I know the specifics on this topic have been laid out in another thread. A spacer is necessary for stock wheels, but I don't know exactly how big it needs to be.

Also, post up any bargains you find on this kit. I'm in the market as well.
Old 7/11/07, 09:32 PM
GT Member

wouldnt you get rubbing issue's with wheel spacers and stock wheels?

I want to put on a little bigger tire at some point and am also hoping to keep stock wheels with maybe a bigger brake setup. I actually like the stock wheels for a change and aftermarket wheels especially good ones get expensive. So far my brake plans have consisted of only ss lines and upgraded pads w/dot fluid due to expense.
Old 7/12/07, 06:03 AM
Bullitt Member

It's not just the offset, it has more to do with the design of the spokes.

They won't fit a stock wheel, designed for a Mustang, other than the GT500 wheel.

Before buying, look into the Baer Eradispeed +2 which uses the stock caliper and moves it out for a bigger 14"
rotor.The stock caliper is quite good. It just doesn't have the visual impact of a 4 piston caliper.

Front w/GT500 and and knock off GT wheel

Rear w/Baer Eradispeed +2

Old 7/12/07, 08:05 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by redbullet
It's not just the offset, it has more to do with the design of the spokes.

They won't fit a stock wheel, designed for a Mustang, other than the GT500 wheel.

Before buying, look into the Baer Eradispeed +2 which uses the stock caliper and moves it out for a bigger 14"
rotor.The stock caliper is quite good. It just doesn't have the visual impact of a 4 piston caliper.

Front w/GT500 and and knock off GT wheel

Rear w/Baer Eradispeed +2

Just a quick question; if I was thinking of doing a couple track days would the stock calipers hold up if I just upgrade the rotors, pads, brake lines, and fluid?
Old 7/12/07, 09:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by PIKE2244
Just a quick question; if I was thinking of doing a couple track days would the stock calipers hold up if I just upgrade the rotors, pads, brake lines, and fluid?
I would upgrade to a 'real' performance rotor. Most people have experienced failures with the stock rotor.

Most aftermarket rotors aren't much more than fancy stock rotors.

I would look at the baer eradispeed+1 set up
then good pads etc.
Old 7/12/07, 10:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

redbullet: thanks for the clarification...looks like I would need to buy the wheels/tires too if I want those brakes. can you post a pic of the whole car so I can see what the CaliSpcl looks like w/those wheels?
Old 7/12/07, 01:10 PM
Cobra Member

I would upgrade to a 'real' performance rotor. Most people have experienced failures with the stock rotor.

then good pads etc.
Thanks, I appreciate the advice.... Do you think it would be cheaper in the long run to just go with a big brake upgrade or do it piece by piece?
Old 7/12/07, 02:14 PM
Cobra Member

You should be fine with decent pads. If you've a veteran you can work with what you've got. We've all gotten those last couple of laps out of our brakes before putting the car back on the trailer. (See attachment ) If you're a track virgin you likely won't have any issues with the stock setup. I would suggest that you inspect the calipers during and after to make sure the seals are still intact. If you cook them, make sure you replace them before driving it too much. If you go to someone like Racerwholesale you can get some silicon brake duct and fabricate some temporary brake ducts to keep everything cool, including the stock rotors. Fundamentally, your brakes are taking your kinetic energy and converting it to heat. As long as you can reject the heat faster than you create it your brakes will last a long, long time.
Attached Thumbnails FRPP Brembo 14" brake upgrade-caliper.jpg  
Old 7/12/07, 02:19 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by MrClean
redbullet: thanks for the clarification...looks like I would need to buy the wheels/tires too if I want those brakes. can you post a pic of the whole car so I can see what the CaliSpcl looks like w/those wheels?
There are very few wheels that will clear the Brembo calipers. If you look at the GT500 wheels the spokes really angle out from the rim to the hub. Bear in mind that the hubcentric spacers available for the S197 are about 1" which will push your wheels pretty far out. If you're running 8" wheels then it will likely line up pretty nicely. With my 9" wheels it was a little too much. I bought some 1/2" spacers and longer studs for mine, but haven't had the chance to try them out. With the 1" spacers it looked like I had slightly more than 1/2" caliper clearance, so they should be OK. If you like the GT500 wheel then that's your easiest option.
Old 7/12/07, 02:46 PM
GT Member

then good pads etc.
According to Baer's site the eradispeed +1 rotor will require a larger than stock wheel. They do sell an OE replacement but I'm not sure how much better it is than stock
Old 7/12/07, 02:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by RobK
There are very few wheels that will clear the Brembo calipers. If you look at the GT500 wheels the spokes really angle out from the rim to the hub. Bear in mind that the hubcentric spacers available for the S197 are about 1" which will push your wheels pretty far out. If you're running 8" wheels then it will likely line up pretty nicely. With my 9" wheels it was a little too much. I bought some 1/2" spacers and longer studs for mine, but haven't had the chance to try them out. With the 1" spacers it looked like I had slightly more than 1/2" caliper clearance, so they should be OK. If you like the GT500 wheel then that's your easiest option.
1st thanks for your input. 2nd, I have the 8.5" Bullits that come stock with the CS, so what your saying is that I could buy the 1" spacers and longer studs (the FRPP site mentions "steering stop 6R3Z-3932-CA"), and these things would fit under?
Old 7/12/07, 02:50 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by MrClean
1st thanks for your input. 2nd, I have the 8.5" Bullits that come stock with the CS, so what your saying is that I could buy the 1" spacers and longer studs (the FRPP site mentions "steering stop 6R3Z-3932-CA"), and these things would fit under?
If you go with the 1" spacers they have studs built in. You simply bolt them onto your stock studs, then hang the wheel on the new studs. H&R makes a really nice set. I can shoot you the part number if you're interested. I think my BBS wheels have a bit more offset than your stock wheels, so they'll probably line up pretty nice with the 1" spacers. I took a long hard look and don't really see a need for the steering stops. I think most folks who've done this don't get the stops.
Old 7/12/07, 03:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

If you go with the 1" spacers they have studs built in. You simply bolt them onto your stock studs, then hang the wheel on the new studs. H&R makes a really nice set. I can shoot you the part number if you're interested. I think my BBS wheels have a bit more offset than your stock wheels, so they'll probably line up pretty nice with the 1" spacers. I took a long hard look and don't really see a need for the steering stops. I think most folks who've done this don't get the stops.
yes, PN please. so with the 1" spacers, will my wheels still make it under the fenders under cornering? the rears look like they have PLENTY space, but not having my car in front of me (I'm at work hehehe) I can't remember if the fronts would look like a problem.
Old 7/12/07, 03:50 PM
Cobra Member

The H&R number is 5065705. You won't have clearance issues as far as rubbing is concerned, but there is a slight chance the tire might hang out a tad past the edge of the fender. As I mentioned above, mine hang out a bit more than I like, but I have high offset wheels. You might be OK with the Bullits. Try doing a quick search, or post to see if others are running these spacers with 8.5" Bullits. I think I've seen a few and they were all OK.
Old 7/12/07, 07:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Great, Thanks!
Old 7/13/07, 07:24 AM
Cobra Member

You should be fine with decent pads. If you've a veteran you can work with what you've got. We've all gotten those last couple of laps out of our brakes before putting the car back on the trailer. (See attachment ) If you're a track virgin you likely won't have any issues with the stock setup. I would suggest that you inspect the calipers during and after to make sure the seals are still intact. If you cook them, make sure you replace them before driving it too much. If you go to someone like Racerwholesale you can get some silicon brake duct and fabricate some temporary brake ducts to keep everything cool, including the stock rotors. Fundamentally, your brakes are taking your kinetic energy and converting it to heat. As long as you can reject the heat faster than you create it your brakes will last a long, long time.
Thanks so much!! It is always nice to speak with someone who has experince rather than just someone who reads about it in theory... I have another question though; if I went with a brake duct cooling kit like the agent 47 one, would that be sufficient? Thanks for all your help...
Old 7/13/07, 02:41 PM
Cobra Member

Thanks so much!! It is always nice to speak with someone who has experince rather than just someone who reads about it in theory... I have another question though; if I went with a brake duct cooling kit like the agent 47 one, would that be sufficient? Thanks for all your help...
That would certainly do it. I tend to try to save a buck if I can, especially with something that you're not going to use everyday. I used to just route the hoses under the bumper with a NACA duct attached and have them dump as close as possible to the center of the rotor. I attached them with zip ties. At the end of the weekend you cut the ties and throw them in a box.

Quick Reply: FRPP Brembo 14" brake upgrade