GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

FRPP and Borla exactly the same?

Search this Thread

Old 11/11/06, 02:20 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FRPP and Borla exactly the same?

Hey everyone. I know I haven't been on TMS in a long time, but I'm a user from before the first Mustangs shipped (shoutout to Boomer, Brad, Galaxy, Zeppelin guy, adrenalin, Future9er, Burningman, Scothew). I have been really busy with college so I haven't been on in a while, but I have a few questions. I definitely am now getting a little mod itch (only cosmetic so far):

I want a new exhaust. I really like the sound of Borla/FRPP and stuff, but my local dealer installs Bassani and recommends them highly.

What are people's views in the differences between Bassani and Borla/FRPP?

Additionally, is there ANY difference between FRPP (M-5230-5GT) and the Borla Stingers (11750)? Also, are both of these axle back? And doesn't axle-back mean that only the mufflers are changed and stuff or does that mean X-Pipe and behind (including mufflers)?

I also wanted to do the SCT and intake combo, this guy from Galpin Auto Sports evidently is really good at tuning (seems to make more sense than getting it emailed from Doug even though I hear he does some great work).

So ya, that's pretty much it. How much HP can I expect from those three, and if you can also answer my exhaust questions that would be great.
Old 11/11/06, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Badandy
Hey everyone. I know I haven't been on TMS in a long time, but I'm a user from before the first Mustangs shipped (shoutout to Boomer, Brad, Galaxy, Zeppelin guy, adrenalin, Future9er, Burningman, Scothew). I have been really busy with college so I haven't been on in a while, but I have a few questions. I definitely am now getting a little mod itch (only cosmetic so far):

I want a new exhaust. I really like the sound of Borla/FRPP and stuff, but my local dealer installs Bassani and recommends them highly.

What are people's views in the differences between Bassani and Borla/FRPP?

Additionally, is there ANY difference between FRPP (M-5230-5GT) and the Borla Stingers (11750)? Also, are both of these axle back? And doesn't axle-back mean that only the mufflers are changed and stuff or does that mean X-Pipe and behind (including mufflers)?

I also wanted to do the SCT and intake combo, this guy from Galpin Auto Sports evidently is really good at tuning (seems to make more sense than getting it emailed from Doug even though I hear he does some great work).

So ya, that's pretty much it. How much HP can I expect from those three, and if you can also answer my exhaust questions that would be great.
The Steeda mufflers are also the same as the Borla/FRPP.

From what I hear Doug is the man to go to for canned tunes.
Old 11/11/06, 03:27 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes it's just the muffler and they are the same. There's no reason to pay someone to install them, it is a VERY easy install.

+1 on Doug at BamaChips. His tunes and customer service are excellent.
Old 11/11/06, 03:48 PM
Cobra Member

Yes Borla and FRPP are the same. And axleback just replaces from the 'Axle-Back' hence the name. So thats pretty much just mufflers and tips.

For an Intake/Tuner combo check out www.Brenspeed.com
Old 11/11/06, 04:15 PM
Cobra Member

And the mufflers and tips really make a difference in sound? I don't want it too loud, but I was hoping I wouldn't need a whole X/H pipe so that is good...

My local place uses bassani, is that similar or what?
Old 11/11/06, 04:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I believe there are 2 differences in the mufflers. #1, Ford/Borla has the embossed Ford Racing on the tips. Borla has just Borla. #2 This I am not positive of, but I remember reading in past threads that the Ford mufflers have only a 1 yr warrenty from Ford, but the Borlas have lifetime from Borla. You may want to verify, and perhaps owners of both can post pics of the stamping on the tips.
Old 11/11/06, 04:33 PM
Cobra Member

Ya, I might want to go through Borla.

-So I will notice a difference with an axle-back in terms of sound, or do I have to get a full X pipe to hear a difference? Because I don't want a huge difference.

-Bassani and Borla, big difference?

-Self-installation: Is it hard? I know you said it was easy, but I'm not very technically inclined so I don't know if I could center the pipes and stuff...
Old 11/11/06, 04:48 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ya, I might want to go through Borla.

-So I will notice a difference with an axle-back in terms of sound, or do I have to get a full X pipe to hear a difference? Because I don't want a huge difference.

-Self-installation: Is it hard? I know you said it was easy, but I'm not very technically inclined so I don't know if I could center the pipes and stuff...
You will definently notice a diffenence in sound with just the axle-back.
Old 11/11/06, 04:51 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As for intake and tuner I got the jlt sct II combo from doug at bamachips and it is just awesome!
Old 11/11/06, 07:38 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 2005sonicgt
You will definently notice a diffenence in sound with just the axle-back.
Yes you WILL notice a difference in sound with just an axleback.

As for the Bassani vs. Borla/FRPP I think you best bet is to find people in your general area with your desired exhaust setup and see if they won't fire it up for you in person. Cause as good as an exhaust clip/video clip can be, there is nothing like hearing the real thing.

Personally I would go with FRPP Stingers again if I had it to do over, they have an awesome tone, pretty loud and were a couple hundred cheaper than either Borla or Bassani.
Old 11/11/06, 07:45 PM
Queen Of Nascar

Hey Andy. Nice to see you again. I have Flowmasters on mine, so I want answer your question.
Old 11/11/06, 08:35 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by SlamMan02
Yes you WILL notice a difference in sound with just an axleback.

As for the Bassani vs. Borla/FRPP I think you best bet is to find people in your general area with your desired exhaust setup and see if they won't fire it up for you in person. Cause as good as an exhaust clip/video clip can be, there is nothing like hearing the real thing.

Personally I would go with FRPP Stingers again if I had it to do over, they have an awesome tone, pretty loud and were a couple hundred cheaper than either Borla or Bassani.
Me three!!
Old 11/12/06, 01:36 AM
Cobra Member

Hey Donna, nice to see you're still here!

K, if the FRPP are a few HUNDRED cheaper than the Borla and they're the exast same, I might just go with that! Right now I have 4 inch rolled tips that are cut straight up and down, I don't know if I would really like them to be slant-cut. I guess we'll see. I don't need tune with just axle-back do I?

What would my best bet be in this regard:

KN Aircharger + NO TUNE
C and L + TUNE
Old 11/12/06, 04:00 AM
Bullitt Member

I just bought the FRPP Stingers and they fit, sound and look awesome. I don't think you'll be disappointed with them.
Old 11/12/06, 04:58 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've read countless posts and they are the same except for the badging
Old 11/12/06, 09:27 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice to see an old face pop-up

Bassani is not as loud as the Borla stinger system, but everyone who's heard my exhaust really likes it. Both are really good in terms of quality. Ford racing is exactly the same as borla, I even emailed them to ask

The install is very easy, it won't take you longer than an hour, just make sure the rear of the car is jacked up on jackstands.
Old 11/12/06, 01:16 PM
Cobra Member

Hey Galaxie.

So Bassani is similar in sound but not quite as loud? That would be cool, because I'm looking for a subdued sound that it mean without being annoyingly loud. Thanks for responding.