GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

FRPP 3V Intake

Search this Thread

Old 4/13/10, 07:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lunatic
Just wondering what the consensus is on this pack, because im considering getting a 2010 mustang for cheap and adding this pack in. With the rebates at 3k here in texas, its almost free.

How would it affect me if i decided to go FI later?
Should not effect your F/I at all...if anything, it will help becasue it will flow better.
Old 4/14/10, 03:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Ninjak
Should not effect your F/I at all...if anything, it will help becasue it will flow better.

Would be interesting to see if there's any drop in boost with the FRPP intake.
Old 4/16/10, 02:49 AM
Bullitt Member

IMHO, these intakes are eye candy with maby a few hp gain on our engines. For these intakes to shine in n/a we would have to rev our engines way past 7k, even then I would much rather have individual throttle bodies with short runners. As for the price, still seems steep considering its basicaly a big old plastic piece. $300-400 is tops I would ever pay for that. Even with Fi, I would rather not have a intake manifold at all and go with a edelbrock SC.

Out of curiosity, how fast have some of you guys reved these engines? The shop I recently visited and talked about going high rpm n/a said the 4.6L 3v has oiling issues with high rpm. Witch seems to be supported theory as most short blocks come with a ford racing high capacity oil pump to try to remedy the issue.
Old 4/16/10, 06:15 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
6500 rpms seems to be the norm.
Old 4/18/10, 09:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by AGBULLIT
Ford Racing 2005-2010 Mustang GT Top End Power Package

http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com...m-fr4-s197.htm
This ad is claiming a estimated 425hp with the full kit. Has anyone seen a install or a test to verify this?
Old 4/19/10, 09:25 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by goldhillstang
This ad is claiming a estimated 425hp with the full kit. Has anyone seen a install or a test to verify this?

I think that was the hope with the majority of the people that spent the $$$ on heads, cams, intake and were still shy of 400hp. I don't know that I've seen one person (without a stroker or bottle) that can claim 400 or more on a N/A. It would be nice though...
Old 4/19/10, 10:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Looking at the parts, I would think that 400+ @ the Fly would be quite possible. Tune, ect...I do not see why not.
Old 4/19/10, 10:43 PM
Cobra R Member

I can believe it. Brenspeed got 340whp (400 crank hp) with cams, intake and tb, maybe I'm forgetting something but that's without heads.
Old 4/20/10, 03:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by colbymh
6500 rpms seems to be the norm.
I rev @6500 with stock everything except tune. Ive seen some guys do 7k with stock internals. But from what I gathered was that even with forged parts and a valvetrain that can handle the stress the oiling system is unable to keep up with demands for much higher rpm leading to starvation problems. I am unsure if it has anything to do with the variable valve timing or actually the design of the engine not supporting much higher rpm.
Old 4/20/10, 11:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by jaguarking11
I rev @6500 with stock everything except tune. Ive seen some guys do 7k with stock internals. But from what I gathered was that even with forged parts and a valvetrain that can handle the stress the oiling system is unable to keep up with demands for much higher rpm leading to starvation problems. I am unsure if it has anything to do with the variable valve timing or actually the design of the engine not supporting much higher rpm.
Structurally the engine is pretty close to that of the 98-01 Cobra motors. The parts can take up about 7000rpm pretty easily. The pistons and rods are pretty light which help facilitate that.

There has been some study done on the previous 99-04 GT motors that indicate that the rods stop snapping back into shape around 6800 rpm. We're talking consistent rpm where that would manifest into a problem however.

6500rpm on the stock mill (parts wise) isn't a problem. The VCT does suck up quite a bit of oil however, and so again sustained high engine rpm can cause a problem.

Adding half a quart or a full quart to the pan if you know you're going to be on track may help with oil starvation slightly. It seems however that the oil pump simply isn't up to the task however.

One thing to keep in mind though is that this shouldn't present much of an issue unless you are the type of driver that spends the life of the engine at, near or past the effective rev limit of the engine. For those of us that drive our cars and only occasionally shoot up to red line then right back down to speed, this isn't going to be inherently a huge issue. Over time it may limit the total effective mileage the engine will run, but we're talking 180k instead of 200k with good service intervals.

The 3v is the last iteration of the modular family and it's also the best in terms of volumetric efficiency and synergy of working parts. No it doesn't have all the forged goodies, but where mistakes were made in the past, they've been corrected. It's a testament to people running around with 500rwhp out of the stock components. Things like upgraded bearings, main cap design and importantly piston wrist pins, which tended to be the 99-04GT crutch.

I'm getting long winded here, but basically unless you're driving the car on track all the time where rpm's may never drop below 4000rpm, you're not going to have an oiling issue so long as the car is maintained properly.
Old 4/20/10, 11:48 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by rony1976
I think that was the hope with the majority of the people that spent the $$$ on heads, cams, intake and were still shy of 400hp. I don't know that I've seen one person (without a stroker or bottle) that can claim 400 or more on a N/A. It would be nice though...
Looking at the parts, I would think that 400+ @ the Fly would be quite possible. Tune, ect...I do not see why not.
Originally Posted by DynamicmustangGT
I can believe it. Brenspeed got 340whp (400 crank hp) with cams, intake and tb, maybe I'm forgetting something but that's without heads.
So no one has actually done the full install on a stock motor? I guess I need to offer my car to a shop to do this!!! I'll buy the parts and they can do the install and tune, make for a good thread,huh???
Old 4/21/10, 06:32 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by goldhillstang
I'll buy the parts and they can do the install and tune, make for a good thread,huh???
Sure would!
Old 4/23/10, 01:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by jlmounce
Structurally the engine is pretty close to that of the 98-01 Cobra motors. The parts can take up about 7000rpm pretty easily. The pistons and rods are pretty light which help facilitate that.

There has been some study done on the previous 99-04 GT motors that indicate that the rods stop snapping back into shape around 6800 rpm. We're talking consistent rpm where that would manifest into a problem however.

6500rpm on the stock mill (parts wise) isn't a problem. The VCT does suck up quite a bit of oil however, and so again sustained high engine rpm can cause a problem.

Adding half a quart or a full quart to the pan if you know you're going to be on track may help with oil starvation slightly. It seems however that the oil pump simply isn't up to the task however.

One thing to keep in mind though is that this shouldn't present much of an issue unless you are the type of driver that spends the life of the engine at, near or past the effective rev limit of the engine. For those of us that drive our cars and only occasionally shoot up to red line then right back down to speed, this isn't going to be inherently a huge issue. Over time it may limit the total effective mileage the engine will run, but we're talking 180k instead of 200k with good service intervals.

The 3v is the last iteration of the modular family and it's also the best in terms of volumetric efficiency and synergy of working parts. No it doesn't have all the forged goodies, but where mistakes were made in the past, they've been corrected. It's a testament to people running around with 500rwhp out of the stock components. Things like upgraded bearings, main cap design and importantly piston wrist pins, which tended to be the 99-04GT crutch.

I'm getting long winded here, but basically unless you're driving the car on track all the time where rpm's may never drop below 4000rpm, you're not going to have an oiling issue so long as the car is maintained properly.
Thanks for the info. What I was planing actually is a forged rotating assembly and balanced as well. Then some high lift cams & a redline between 8.5k -9k, providing they make springs that can still be considered reliable after taking that type of punishment. Toping it all off with ported heads and short runner ITB's. Obviously I would eliminate vct & install the "upgraded" oil pump. I am somehow sure that this would not survive long. Projecting around 500crank or more with 11:1 or better compression. Would love to be able to tune that setup for 93octane and go raping. Obviously the exhaust would have to be fairly free flowing with long tube headers & possibly no cats.
Old 4/24/10, 06:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for the info. What I was planing actually is a forged rotating assembly and balanced as well. Then some high lift cams & a redline between 8.5k -9k, providing they make springs that can still be considered reliable after taking that type of punishment. Toping it all off with ported heads and short runner ITB's. Obviously I would eliminate vct & install the "upgraded" oil pump. I am somehow sure that this would not survive long. Projecting around 500crank or more with 11:1 or better compression. Would love to be able to tune that setup for 93octane and go raping. Obviously the exhaust would have to be fairly free flowing with long tube headers & possibly no cats.
lol do you happen to have a spare $50,000? Because if you don't, good luck with that pal.
Old 4/24/10, 09:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Bullitt995
lol do you happen to have a spare $50,000? Because if you don't, good luck with that pal.

Your just full of info ain't ya? Maybe you would care to break down how it would need 50k worth of work?

Expensive yes, more costly than FI? Possibly. But 50k worth, strongly doubt it. maybe in the 15k range, its entirely possible. In any case, what is it to you what I spend on an engine?

In any case, I see this type of post as spam. And it seems like 90% of your posts are geared that way.

Last edited by jaguarking11; 4/24/10 at 09:59 PM.
Old 4/24/10, 10:31 PM
Cobra Member

that's not spam. I would've said the same thing! You can get an engine built for less than 15K, stroke it for less than 5K, or FI for around that on a brand new setup or used for 3-4.5K. At the end of the day, you will pour out a ton of cash, and someone with a supercharger might just be showing you his plate for a 1/3 of what you spent. Would you still think it's worth spending that much? I wouldn't...

It's nobody's business how much cash you want to burn on a project like that, but just like you want to write on this forum what you want to do with that, we can write on this forum that we think you are nuts. It's not spam, it's freedom of speech.
Old 4/25/10, 09:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by rony1976
that's not spam. I would've said the same thing! You can get an engine built for less than 15K, stroke it for less than 5K, or FI for around that on a brand new setup or used for 3-4.5K. At the end of the day, you will pour out a ton of cash, and someone with a supercharger might just be showing you his plate for a 1/3 of what you spent. Would you still think it's worth spending that much? I wouldn't...

It's nobody's business how much cash you want to burn on a project like that, but just like you want to write on this forum what you want to do with that, we can write on this forum that we think you are nuts. It's not spam, it's freedom of speech.
What if my goal is not just straight line acceleration and having another 150-200lb over the front top of my engine is detrimental to what my needs are. There is a nut for every bolt. The naturally aspirated route is the most labor intensive however all this can be accomplished for far less than quoted if say labor was free to me. Hell if all said and done it can be accomplished for about 3k using new parts and lost of work. There are always two sides. However you explaining yourself rather than blurting out random **** is not freedom of speech. And I don't know if you read the legal agreement on most forums... I hate to tell you, its not freedom of speech territory for anyone. Anything and everything written here can be removed as well as archived for the forum owners purposes. Therefore freedom of speech it is not.

I agree with what you say, however there are always two sides to the picture. And he is just that, a person that thinks his route is the best route. Sorry dude, the world is not built the way you want it to, and at the end of the day comments that truly do not add to a discussion are spam, or useless.
Old 4/25/10, 07:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Your just full of info ain't ya? Maybe you would care to break down how it would need 50k worth of work?

Expensive yes, more costly than FI? Possibly. But 50k worth, strongly doubt it. maybe in the 15k range, its entirely possible. In any case, what is it to you what I spend on an engine?

In any case, I see this type of post as spam. And it seems like 90% of your posts are geared that way.
I agree with what you say, however there are always two sides to the picture. And he is just that, a person that thinks his route is the best route. Sorry dude, the world is not built the way you want it to, and at the end of the day comments that truly do not add to a discussion are spam, or useless.
Do you seriously know what you're asking to build? 9,000rpm mod motor? 11:1 compression? ON PUMP GAS? The heads alone will cost more than 15k. You won't be able to use the factory ECU, throw another 3k MINIMUM at it for a computer. Not to mention that kind of compression isn't going to work for 93 so you have to build a fuel system to run E85 if you don't want to go race gas. Throw another 4-5k at it. I'm easily over 20k without even trying. Then actually add your rotating assembly, block prep, race motor hardware, high dollar oil system ($$$$$$$), and a bunch of other **** you don't even know about. Not to mention this motor isn't going to live more than one year or even be fun to drive on the street. Go talk to Proline or Boss330 or any other big time mod motor builder and they'll tell you the exact same thing. So the next time someone on here who has actually been there replies to you with "spam", you might want to think about shutting the **** up instead of typing away and looking like a bigger moron.

edit:

And I just re-read and saw that you want individual throttle bodies too. Throw the check book out the window because you're going to need a ton custom fab work for that. 50k was probably too conservative.

Last edited by Bullitt995; 4/25/10 at 07:35 PM.
Old 4/25/10, 08:34 PM
Cobra R Member

Where that? It's awesome and I'll buy it now !

Last edited by WaltM; 4/25/10 at 08:36 PM.
Old 4/27/10, 03:59 AM
Bullitt Member

11:1 cr is quite possible on pump gas. Some engine builders have built engines with higher compression and still run on pump gas.

Oiling is what I was mearly asking about. Then again a dry sump system for mod motors can be had for about 2500bux with pumps. As for any oiling issues after that, gotta pay to play.

9,000 rpm is well within the specs of a good forged set of pistons & rods.

ITB's are arund 3k.

Now as for fuel system, a full return style fuel system can be had for less than 2k with triple pumps in the basket.

Now about that 50k?

My point being is that you do spam. You post & try to look smug about it. If you must even waste your time repplying to a jack *** like me. Might as well throw in some good info, the whole reason this is called a forum and not a jack *** fest is because people sare thier information and opinions. However you seem angry at the world & the only thing that satisfies you is posting single line repplies and acting like your the end all be all.

Im done. Thanks!

Quick Reply: FRPP 3V Intake